Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

I have no need to see a big tall tower like some people. It is more about in-fill, density, and good design. Less vacant lots and vacant storefronts. More Green spaces. Better transit and pedestrian/bicycle options. Better human scale of buildings and street appeal. Tall for the sake of tall does not make sense. I think all the recent buildings including Citi, Modera, and Tremont are great additions. Especially Tremont now with connection to transit and filling up the prime surface lot facing I-4 and South street, which is pretty much the "Welcome Mat" to downtown Orlando!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

420 added @300 units, Citi added @230 units ,  Modera will add @ 350  units.  @880 units total at 1.5 per unit you have @1320 additional residents to Lake Eola/CBD.  Potential 520 @360 units and Magnolia Rose@390units.  I hope all these projects get built. 

Edited by idroveazamboni

12 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I have no need to see a big tall tower like some people. It is more about in-fill, density, and good design. Less vacant lots and vacant storefronts. More Green spaces. Better transit and pedestrian/bicycle options. Better human scale of buildings and street appeal. Tall for the sake of tall does not make sense. I think all the recent buildings including Citi, Modera, and Tremont are great additions. Especially Tremont now with connection to transit and filling up the prime surface lot facing I-4 and South street, which is pretty much the "Welcome Mat" to downtown Orlando!

All true, but a couple/few tall buildings provide a dramatic visual effect which is nice to have, too. It's just another piece of the puzzle, though as you implied, not the most important piece.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 4:43 PM, dcluley98 said:

I do, actually.   And the main reason is because some of these developers are wasting prime real estate with low rise structures when they could still easily create streetside retail, but make the residential tower taller.  I think this is being done to "band-aid" downtown from a flurry of vacant lots that have accumulated over the decades.  These are band-aid projects.  I mean, just look at 420, Crescent, The Sevens (I left Steelhouse out).  Every one of them could've been 2x or 3x the height while taking up maybe half the footprint.  After seeing the mass of The Sevens from Magnolia & 50, the height of Steelhouse is a joke.  After seeing the height of Star, 420's dimensions seem silly, especially when seeing CitiTower to it's  north.  Crescent?  Anyway, towers downtown should be designed as though it's beachfront property.   

• Thanks 1

Eh, I don't consider 420 or The Sevens to be downtown.  I like that North Quarter has a "style".  I don't particularly want South Eola to turn into all towers. I think a mix of brownstones, towers, and efforts like 420/520 is a nice mix.

Agreed about Crescent, but at there's still over half the block left, and it added needed retail there (Yay Greenbeat!)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jrs2 said:

I do, actually.   And the main reason is because some of these developers are wasting prime real estate with low rise structures when they could still easily create streetside retail, but make the residential tower taller.  I think this is being done to "band-aid" downtown from a flurry of vacant lots that have accumulated over the decades.  These are band-aid projects.  I mean, just look at 420, Crescent, The Sevens (I left Steelhouse out).  Every one of them could've been 2x or 3x the height while taking up maybe half the footprint.  After seeing the mass of The Sevens from Magnolia & 50, the height of Steelhouse is a joke.  After seeing the height of Star, 420's dimensions seem silly, especially when seeing CitiTower to it's  north.  Crescent?  Anyway, towers downtown should be designed as though it's beachfront property.   

The developers are doing these projects to make money, that's it. As a previous poster pointed out, if it made sense to build taller, they would. 

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Eh, I don't consider 420 or The Sevens to be downtown.  I like that North Quarter has a "style".  I don't particularly want South Eola to turn into all towers. I think a mix of brownstones, towers, and efforts like 420/520 is a nice mix.

Agreed about Crescent, but at there's still over half the block left, and it added needed retail there (Yay Greenbeat!)

Agree re: South Eola. That is a neighborhood that really needs to maintain a degree of quaintness and charm. Hell, I think 420 has damaged that enough. Not because of it's size or bulk, but because of it's stark, white, futuristic appearance. I'd have much rather seen that same building, but with a more warm, traditional looking exterior. I'm sick of these white and grey rectangles that look like the boxes iPhones come in.

On 10/8/2017 at 10:43 AM, AndyPok1 said:

to be fair, I always look at the benefits:  what the project is improving upon from the prior parcel, streetside retail, number of units increasing the downtown population, and and improved sidewalk frontage, etc.  Unfortunately, Steelhouse and Camden have no retail spaces- Camden did, but doesn't now.  But again, Steelhouse was the first post-bust project so I give them a pass- also because of what was there before.  Huge improvement. 

So, with this in mind, I give all of these low rise projects passes- even Crescent- my two main gripes with Crescent are the lack of height and materials used (as they match or contrast neighboring projects).  It would have been better off clad in stone or brick to match BOA and OCCthse better.  But, for being TOD and with all the retail it has thus far, it's a pretty good/important addition to downtown.  Especially when it itself can act as a catalyst for that neighborhood (the neighboring Bell South building will be renovated into residential and Crescent will provide a retail core it and any future neighboring projects can easily access).

As for Modera, we've exhausted all the benefits this project is providing to downtown. 

• 2 weeks later...