Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

Agreed, it looks bare and unfinished along Rosalind Ave when not in use by events. I think the city doesn't add streetscaping to this side of Lake Eola since it would hinder such a high usage area. Temporary bleachers at least 10 rows high are installed along Rosalind for the Citrus Parade; Tents & bounce houses, etc get installed for misc festivals. I would love a makeover similar to Central Blvs, but I think any attempts to modify this stretch will take away from needed space to accommodate large crowds for major events.

WP_20170612_19_44_03_Panorama 1.jpg

WP_20171028_09_03_03_Rich.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018 at 9:15 PM, JFW657 said:

I thought the exact same thing when I looked at that pic.

It looks downright bleak.

Private investment, or an absence of.  If you notice, The Vue put in trees and lighting along it's side of Rosalind Ave back when it was built.  Same thing with the buildings making up the North Quarter (for comparison).  The money for trees along the Eola side of Rosalind would come straight from The City.

Edited by jrs2

18 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Private investment, or an absence of.  If you notice, The Vue put in trees and lighting along it's side of Rosalind Ave back when it was built.  Same thing with the buildings making up the North Quarter (for comparison).  The money for trees along the Eola side of Rosalind would come straight from The City.

With the number of trees Orlando buys each year to place on private property and city rights of way, I doubt this is a financial choice. http://www.cityoforlando.net/trees/programs/ 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smileguy said:

With the number of trees Orlando buys each year to place on private property and city rights of way, I doubt this is a financial choicehttp://www.cityoforlando.net/trees/programs/ 

Possibly not, but in the case of Rosalind Ave along Lake Eola, it would involve tearing up sections of sidewalk then re-pour each one with openings for the trees, and of course, wrought iron... whatever they call those cage type things they put around the trunks of urban sidewalk trees to protect them and keep them standing.

So, I guess there could be a financial consideration involved. But still, it doesn't seem like too much to beautify such a high profile section of downtown's centerpiece park.

What I'd really love to see, as I already said, is a low wall like the one in the pic I posted, with shrubs and small trees on the back side. 

I really like those.

Landscaping generally at Eola Park has been lacking since the Great Recession. The grass over in the new section of the park is hideous and is rapidly being taken over by ants. We're a long way from the lush St. Augustine of Mayor Bill's era (although I know that gives the environmental types fits but surely there's a middle ground.)

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

I'm not a big fan of open, grassy expanses in parks anyway, though I understand the need for some of them. 

I'd much rather see shady trees, shrubs and flowers.

I definitely like the trees and miss the flowers (also a victim of budget cuts, I understand), but the lawn comes in handy for the weekly yoga sessions and MoviEola, plus for Yogi and his picanic baskets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jernigan said:

79B4C29B-A91B-4265-BB38-4ED14BF71AE1.png

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

That is so delightfully tacky that it could actually work.

...you are right about it being tacky...goodness...maybe, at the very least make it black wrought iron. Giant swans though? and why do most color schemes chosen have to look like we live in a box of crayons? Nothing wrong with subtle colors even though we live in FL.

sorry I'm just ranting now...I would like to see something like a piedmont park 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

...you are right about it being tacky...goodness...maybe, at the very least make it black wrought iron. Giant swans though? and why do most color schemes chosen have to look like we live in a box of crayons? Nothing wrong with subtle colors even though we live in FL.

sorry I'm just ranting now...I would like to see something like a piedmont park 

piedmont-park-boot-camp.jpg

Exactly!!!! :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, sunshine said:

with all the issues of terrorists driving into crowds, I would really hope that they would build a low concrete wall around the entire park and close it at night.

Don't mind the low wall, if it makes you feel safer, but don't close the park.  The last thing I'd want is to lose out to fear.    

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cwetteland said:

Don't mind the low wall, if it makes you feel safer, but don't close the park.  The last thing I'd want is to lose out to fear.    

Agreed. I think the wall, if done tastefully, wouldn't be bad, but we lose if we decide every street and gathering area must now have industrial strength barriers for billions and trillions of dollars. The fence around every retention pond already makes me mad. If someone wants to kill a handful of people, there are tons of ways for them to do it, its not that complicated. We have to keep in mind enhancing safety features on roads and getting them upgraded realistically will save more lives then any barrier to prevent a terrorist from driving a vehicle off a road, our money is better spent there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'd just like to see a short, decorative wall around the park for aesthetic reasons. If it provided a little more of a safety barrier from vehicles, that would just be a bonus afaic. 

As for closing the park, it already closes at some point during the overnight hours.

Doesn't it?

Thats why I said I was ok with it... I guess the website claims it closes at midnight, I have been there later in the past (many years ago), I don't see why it needs hours personally.

On 1/30/2018 at 10:35 AM, smileguy said:

With the number of trees Orlando buys each year to place on private property and city rights of way, I doubt this is a financial choice. http://www.cityoforlando.net/trees/programs/ 

Yeah, but that’s the business model they’ve been using elsewhere in downtown.  Streetlights, sidewalk improvements, trees; literally the entire North Quarter stretch of Orange Avenue is the result of this split among several private projects.  Same with CitiTower, 420 Artisan, etc., etc. So they are doing it.  

They probably are looking for donations at Eola, or at least other forms of revenue stream to pay for it.  They spent $$$ on the public art a few years back, but, they probably haven’t earmarked the Rosalind stretch as a priority for the type of beautification everyone is discussing, otherwise, they’d have done it already.