Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

14 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

So that leaves one spot open, right?  The corner?  They’ve got DGX, Trophy Room and the French bakery I believe.

I think the corner is the French bakery that shows "restaurant pending". "Retail B" at 2080 ft2 appears open.

https://www.bbdre.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Modera-Central.pdf page 3

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Look @spenser1058 Retail coming to downtown.

The Trophy Room is coming to Modera. Michael Jordan inspired footwear and apparel.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/01/06/exclusive-michael-jordan-themed-store-to-open-in.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline 

That's wild that another streetwear/collectible shoe store is opening downtown.   Hopefully it's different enough not to leech customers from local business Status on Magnolia. 

On the other hand, it's nice to have known retailers coming downtown. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

I think the idea of a sneaker retail shop is pretty stupid, but, I can't knock it too much. I WANT MORE RETAIL and I will take this dumb idea if it means more retail will open up.

I think it makes sense for the area. It's not something you need a lot of foot traffic for. People will seek the shoes out - it's a huge market. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jvest55 said:

I think the idea of a sneaker retail shop is pretty stupid, but, I can't knock it too much. I WANT MORE RETAIL and I will take this dumb idea if it means more retail will open up.

16 minutes ago, bqknight said:

I think it makes sense for the area. It's not something you need a lot of foot traffic for. People will seek the shoes out - it's a huge market. 

I agree with Jvest, not because I don't think it will be successful, but because it sells a "who gives a crap?" line of merchandise. Something that will likely appeal to a very narrow segment of the population and be of little or no interest to most other people. I'd just rather see stores that sell things with a broader appeal.

I'd like to see stores like Bed Bath & Beyond, Hobby Lobby, Office Depot/Staples, Pier 1.... most of which are already on E. Colonial I know, but with all the residential going up around there it seems like before too much longer there'd be enough traffic to support stores in both places.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I agree with Jvest, not because I don't think it will be successful, but because it sells a "who gives a crap?" line of merchandise. Something that will likely appeal to a very narrow segment of the population and be of little or no interest to most other people. I'd just rather see stores that sell things with a broader appeal.

A good portion of their target audience are city-dwelling yuppies.  It's honestly not the worst retail idea downtown.   It will also have a smaller footprint than the other stores you've listed.  That said, I'd also like to see more broadly appealing stores.

Edited by elefants
  • Like 1

More stores that actually sell things other than burgers, tacos, and beer is a very good thing in that area of downtown and  there likely is a niche    market for that type of shop for young people who live downtown. 

We need more boutique shops like this grouped together to drive some "foot" traffic. (pun intended   :tw_glasses:  )

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

There is definitely a market for it... hence there already being a sneaker shop on Magnolia.  With that said Trophy Room did shut down at Disney Springs after a year, so I really dunno.

Oh they closed? I would think he can get really hard to get Jordans and sell them for like $5k.

The Trophy Room kind of reminds me of the new Candle shop, where you make your own candle or buy a ready made one by Starbucks in Thorton park. I mean, how many candles is a person gonna buy? Same with goofy sneakers. How many $300 Jordans are you gonna buy? Anyway, I am not here to debate the business really. Hopefully it does really well and we get a ZARA or something to move in - and make this a shopping destination. 

Edited by Jvest55
  • Like 1

Just now, Jvest55 said:

The Trophy Room kind of reminds me of the new Candle shop, where you make your own candle or buy a ready made one by Starbucks in Thorton park. I mean, how many candles is a person gonna buy? Same with goofy sneakers. How many $300 Jordans are you gonna buy? Anyway, I am not here to debate the business really. Hopefully it does really well and we get a ZARA or something to move in - and make this a shopping destination. 

Sneakerheads pay thousands for shoes and have massive closets full of them. I wouldn't worry about them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Some athlete or other had a store (The 407 or something?) in The Plaza when it first opened. It didn’t last. Hopefully, this one will have more of a following.

Since I’ve been wearing various pairs of the same New Balance 574’s for about 25 years (although Nordstrom sells them in more outrageous colors than LL Bean ever has), I’m probably not the target market. Unlike Imelda, I’ve never had more than two pairs of sneaks at one time (I do also have a pair of Rainbow Chucks which are just for PRIDE).

Edited by spenser1058

19 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

More stores that actually sell things other than burgers, tacos, and beer is a very good thing in that area of downtown and  there likely is a niche    market for that type of shop for young people who live downtown. 

We need more boutique shops like this grouped together to drive some "foot" traffic. (pun intended   :tw_glasses:  )

Don't start coming for my tacos, buddy!

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Since I’ve been wearing various pairs of the same New Balance 574’s for about 25 years

The 880s are where its at, Spense!  Give up the ghost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Some athlete or other had a store (The 407 or something?) in The Plaza when it first opened. It didn’t last. Hopefully, this one will have more of a following.

I'm sure Jeff Faine is doing just fine, with his Harry Buffalo, Stagger Inn, and his giant philanthropy and charitable things. Damn, y'all are in a mood today.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Why? 

Bc y'all are poo poo ing it.

This was a clothing store that was too cool by half (people forget AE has a lot more staying power than A&F ever did). Because I was working on identifying how to get retail downtown at the time, I stopped by several times a week for a few months. I don’t recall there ever being more customers than sales folks in there (usually there were two of those).

Edited by spenser1058

I guess I missed this - Bungalower is saying it’s a move from Disney Springs. 

I suppose the rent is cheaper but if you’re not making it out there, will downtown work? It will be interesting to watch.

https://bungalower.com/2020/01/08/michael-jordan-apparel-shop-moving-from-disney-springs-to-downtown/

On 1/7/2020 at 3:56 PM, AndyPok1 said:

There is definitely a market for it... hence there already being a sneaker shop on Magnolia.  With that said Trophy Room did shut down at Disney Springs after a year, so I really dunno.

17 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I guess I missed this - Bungalower is saying it’s a move from Disney Springs. 

I suppose the rent is cheaper but if you’re not making it out there, will downtown work? It will be interesting to watch.

https://bungalower.com/2020/01/08/michael-jordan-apparel-shop-moving-from-disney-springs-to-downtown/

:thinking_emoji: ;)

But no... I do think it will more likely make it (as opposed to disney springs, still not sure of viability long term).  The venn diagram overlap of sneakerheads and disney tourists doesn't seem to be huge in my mind.  

Edited by AndyPok1
  • Like 1