Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

I agree with the others, just get to building it already. Though I do wish they would have kept the 26 floors instead of dropping down to 21.

On a side note, what I really want to see is Orlando getting its first 500 ft skyscraper within the next 10-15 years. Just one and I'll be happy. Shame the FAA won't let the city have anything taller than the SunTrust Center.

13 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

I believe the original plan by Pizzuti at Central Station called for a new tallest:

lynx1.jpg

Interesting concept. Looks better than what is currently being built there. I've seen a number of proposals for that site but haven't looked into specifics such as height. Doesn't look particularly tall though, seems the courthouse in the background is taller still.

2 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

That was the shorter/revised version of the building. I believe the original had no set back at the top and was around 600'. 

Ah, I see.

• 3 months later...

This is great that they're actually going to build it, I thought this one was going to the graveyard of projects that could have been. Hope the project does something good to really address that corner. Right now it's a parking lot and really is an eyesore fore being in such a prime location.

And I will say it yet again... I hope the actual building looks better than than it does in the renderings.

I don't think it's an "ugly" building, but given that, at that location, it will be so prominent on the skyline view across Lake Eola, I'm not sure that yet another of the typically squatty, boxy looking buildings we tend to get in Orlando is the most ideal choice for that spot.

If there is a parcel of real estate anywhere in downtown that cries out for something truly remarkable and iconic looking, like Tradition Towers for example, it is that one. Modera would be more at home on N. Orange somewhere. Part of Central Station, maybe.

But whatever...

We're gonna get whatever they give us like it or not, so just git 'er done I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard quite a different story about the chances of this going forward. Basically, the City-imposed height/unit reduction as a result of the appeal has made the numbers for going forward with it razor thin in terms of what they normally want to see. A small fluctuation in area rental rates and occupancy could make it or break it. Therefore, the verdict of it going forward right now is nothing more than hopeful optimism on the part of the UC members. Doesn't mean it won't happen, they just are watching the numbers very carefully. Would be a different story if the UC component wasn't involved, would be much easier to get off the ground.

Edited by GTR
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, gibby said:

I'm not familiar with the height reduction/appeal issue.  What happened exactly?

There was an appeal arguing about neighborhood impact and traffic. The City reduced the variance as a result - in order to get approved it had to be 5 stories shorter and 50 units less. From what I heard that had a sizeable impact on making the numbers work - they still technically work, but making it very iffy.

• Like 1

Seems like an odd defense I e. Noise pollution given that his building is surrounded by a library, church, hotel, and bar-retail. Who exactly would these new tenants be disrupting?

And for what it's worth, wouldn't the noise pollution come from the floors closest to the ground level areas, therefore making a reduction of the top floors pointless?

This type of backwards thinking is holding back a positive development, which is a shame.

• Like 4

Maybe the city didn't like the fugly design either, so they came up with a back door way of discouraging it from happening. Tradition Towers was taller than this proposal, I believe.

The difference being that TT didn't look like some kind of modern artist's bad acid-trip nightmare.

I'm actually hoping it doesn't get built. I'd rather wait until something really striking can go up there.

Thanks for the clarification.  I had no idea this happened.  Five more floors would have been great.  I really like the project and hope that the City did not jeopardize it with the weird unit/height reduction.  I thought that height in this area was only controlled by GOAA, basically.

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Seems like an odd defense I e. Noise pollution given that his building is surrounded by a library, church, hotel, and bar-retail. Who exactly would these new tenants be disrupting?

And for what it's worth, wouldn't the noise pollution come from the floors closest to the ground level areas, therefore making a reduction of the top floors pointless?

This type of backwards thinking is holding back a positive development, which is a shame.

It's a density issue not a height issue. They were asking for a density bonus to increase the number of units and they were not granted the full variance. They could have redone the design to keep the height but lessen the overall size and that would have been fine.  The City doesn't have carte blanche to grant density bonuses, despite it looking like it does in practice. There probably wasn't anyone pushing back on them when Tradition Towers was approved.  

I personally can understand the traffic issue as someone who has tried to drive down Pine Street at night. Absolute mess. God help people who live down there if there was ever an emergency. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Maybe the city didn't like the fugly design either, so they came up with a back door way of discouraging it from happening. Tradition Towers was taller than this proposal, I believe.

The difference being that TT didn't look like some kind of modern artist's bad acid-trip nightmare.

I'm actually hoping it doesn't get built. I'd rather wait until something really striking can go up there.

I don't know if it does, but design should play a role in the neighborhood impact analysis the Planning Board conducts when determining whether to grant a density bonus. Reward iconic architecture over something that looks like it was designed 100% using MS Paint.

As good of a design as TT was, I still think it was a poor use of space planning. That corner of town is an traffic ergonomic nightmare and having two public parking garages next too each other is stupid. Whatever goes there should be required to incorporate the public parking garage next door. 

I'm wondering when Orlando will grow up - both literally and figuratively! Real cities have noise, density, people and lots of activity, etc. - maybe one day we will get past the FAA and locals who long for the good old days of a small, sleepy city.  Those were good days, but the days ahead can be just as good and better if we all work together to make that happen! Our demographics demand creative and progressive planning and development,  and we must be willing to negotiate in areas of personal preference - this city is past the point of returning to what it used to be and I have great hope for amazing days to come! I appreciate the interest and input in these blogs from so many of you as contributors!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bchambers said:

I'm wondering when Orlando will grow up - both literally and figuratively! Real cities have noise, density, people and lots of activity, etc. - maybe one day we will get past the FAA and locals who long for the good old days of a small, sleepy city.  Those were good days, but the days ahead can be just as good and better if we all work together to make that happen! Our demographics demand creative and progressive planning and development,  and we must be willing to negotiate in areas of personal preference - this city is past the point of returning to what it used to be and I have great hope for amazing days to come! I appreciate the interest and input in these blogs from so many of you as contributors!

I agree with the noise comment, but there are some traffic pattern problems downtown that are absurd for a City as small as ours. Can't imagine how horrible they will be when downtown doubles in size. Ignoring those issues now when they could be addressed and mitigated before it is too late simply to allow for unbridled growth for the sake of growth is beyond stupid. This is a valid safety issue, not just a matter of personal preference. God forbid a terror attack required evacution of downtown on a Friday night.