Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

• 4 months later...

On 8/2/2017 at 11:20 AM, bulldogger said:

Maybe someone with an engineering/architecture background can fill me in on something.  In the rendering, everything looks straight up and down on the building.  The actual building has multiple locations where the columns are at slight angles.  Why might that be?

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I don't know how I stumbled across this three years later but the columns are designed that way to give the units more interior space. It is common in the mid-atlantic where the structural engineering firm is from and where space comes at a premium.

I inquired about this when it was under contruction but forgot to post on this website. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack said:

I don't know how I stumbled across this three years later but the columns are designed that way to give the units more interior space. It is common in the mid-atlantic where the structural engineering firm is from and where space comes at a premium.

I inquired about this when it was under contruction but forgot to post on this website. 

Better late than never. Good info... wish I thought of that.

• 11 months later...

Per the OBJ, Mill Creek put Modera Central up for sale for $140M. "That translates to a whopping $400,000 per unit, thought to be one of the largest prices per unit in Orlando for a non-condo conversion apartment complex." The University Club is not included as part of the sale of course.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/08/18/florida-apartment-sale-rents-orlando.html

Not holding my breath, but it will be interesting to see if they get anywhere near their asking price because it could be a game changer for properties surrounding Lake Eola awaiting redevelopment. Fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, nite owℓ said:

Per the OBJ, Mill Creek put Modera Central up for sale for $140M. "That translates to a whopping $400,000 per unit, thought to be one of the largest prices per unit in Orlando for a non-condo conversion apartment complex." The University Club is not included as part of the sale of course.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/08/18/florida-apartment-sale-rents-orlando.html

Not holding my breath, but it will be interesting to see if they get anywhere near their asking price because it could be a game changer for properties surrounding Lake Eola awaiting redevelopment. Fingers crossed.

It’s all because of the lovely addition coming to Eola Park (maybe with the TREE)!?! *runs*

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s all because of the lovely addition coming to Eola Park (maybe with the TREE)!?! *runs*

I'm all for saving trees spense and I worry about losing the canopy in some of our downtown neighborhoods, especially along Summerlin Ave. I just don't want trees to get in the way of common sense redevelopment in the middle of the Central Business District in a growing city. I'm all for replanting trees in ROWs and even had the city plant a street tree at my other property many years ago. I've put my money and energy where my mouth is when it comes to doing my small part in making a difference in the City of Orlando.

• Like 2

Just now, nite owℓ said:

I'm all for saving trees spense and I worry about losing the canopy in some of our downtown neighborhoods, especially along Summerlin Ave. I just don't want trees to get in the way of common sense redevelopment in the middle of the Central Business District in a growing city. I'm all for replanting trees in ROWs and even had the city plant a street tree at my other property many years ago. I've put my money and energy where my mouth is when it comes to doing my small part in making a difference in the City of Orlando.

Did you know that Atlanta has made a big deal out of being in one of the most heavily forested urban counties in the country? Trees are good for cities - especially SunBelt ones. Lots of shade and they reduce pollution.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

Did you know that Atlanta has made a big deal out of being in one of the most heavily forested urban counties in the country? Trees are good for cities - especially SunBelt ones. Lots of shade and they reduce pollution.

Who said trees were bad??

31 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Certainly not me - I was just noting that there are cities who believe heavy tree cover and urbanity aren’t mutually exclusive? In any event, my point was more about Modera’s value going up in light of the passing of the 7-Eleven.

Who said heavy tree cover and urbanity were mutually exclusive? Straw man, IMO. In my birth city, new developments, condo towers and new homes are sprouting up left and right but the city & residents are still making a concerted effort to plant more trees. In fact, the city up there plants trees in ROWs automatically and simply leaves a note behind notifying the homeowner with care instructions.

We wouldn't have Skyhouse if trees weren't destroyed (for better or for worse). One of my favorite features about Winter Park is the tree canopy. It all comes down to having the "Right tree in the Right Place" - especially in dense, urban areas with growing populations. If a tree is destroyed for redevelopment the owner should be required to replant one or more in the ROW.

1 minute ago, nite owℓ said:

Who said heavy tree cover and urbanity were mutually exclusive? Straw man, IMO. In my birth city, new developments, condo towers and new homes are sprouting up left and right but the city & residents are still making a concerted effort to plant more trees. In fact, the city up there plants trees in ROWs automatically and simply leaves a note behind notifying the homeowner with care instructions.

We wouldn't have Skyhouse if trees weren't destroyed (for better or for worse). One of my favorite features about Winter Park is the tree canopy. It all comes down to having the "Right tree in the Right Place" - especially in dense, urban areas with growing populations. If a tree is destroyed for redevelopment the owner should be required to replant one or more in the ROW.

I certainly agree with that, but as @JFW657has pointed out on occasion developers too often replace splendid trees with the Charlie Brown variety, and too often the city has said little more than “yes,sir!” 

This all gets down to something Stanley Marcus (the retailer) said, to the effect that, when buying a fur (we’ll leave PETA out of it for just a moment), it’s better to buy a top-notch rabbit than a third-rate mink.

Too often, that’s what we seem to be doing downtown. Instead of building upon what made  us attractive (our buildings with grassy, landscaped , heavily treed courtyards, for example) and uniquely Orlando, we keep trying to imitate Manhattan. Pro tip: we’re never gonna be Manhattan - we’re not even going to be the most Manhattan-like city in Florida. Since we know that, why do we keep aspiring to be a bad imitation?

I readily concede - I don’t get it.

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

I certainly agree with that, but as @JFW657has pointed out on occasion developers too often replace splendid trees with the Charlie Brown variety, and too often the city has said little more than “yes,sir!” 

This all gets down to something Stanley Marcus (the retailer) said, to the effect that, when buying a fur (we’ll leave PETA out of it for just a moment), it’s better to buy a top-notch rabbit than a third-rate mink.

Too often, that’s what we seem to be doing downtown. Instead of building upon what made  us attractive (our buildings with grassy, landscaped , heavily treed courtyards, for example) and uniquely Orlando, we keep trying to imitate Manhattan. Pro tip: we’re never gonna be Manhattan - we’re not even going to be the most Manhattan-like city in Florida. Since we know that, why do we keep aspiring to be a bad imitation?

I readily concede - I don’t get it.

I dunno.

While I'm certainly a fan of trees and would like to see the city preserve the big, old ones and I love to see new high rises with courtyards that have planters in them that can accomodate trees that will eventually grow large and spread out, the idea of a downtown with suburban style front lawns has never appealed to me.

I never even liked that little postage stamp patch of grass at Sun Bank whatever it's called now Center. 

I always thought they should install some kind of pervious paver system and then put tables and chairs  with umbrellas out there.

Make an small outdoor cafe similar to the one at Rockefeller Center. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I dunno.

While I'm certainly a fan of trees and would like to see the city preserve the big, old ones and I love to see new high rises with courtyards that have planters in them that can accomodate trees that will eventually grow large and spread out, the idea of a downtown with suburban style front lawns has never appealed to me.

I never even liked that little postage stamp patch of grass at Sun Bank whatever it's called now Center. 

I always thought they should install some kind of pervious paver system and then put tables and chairs  with umbrellas out there.

Make an small outdoor cafe similar to the one at Rockefeller Center. 

The “park” at Sun Bank Center wasn’t originally planned - it was a compromise when Lincoln wanted to close Beardall Park on the corner. It did look ad hoc because that’s exactly what it was. Mayor Bill went along without complaint because he got a water feature which was a priority of his (of course, that whole idea died in 1998 due to the drought Pat Robertson smote us with because of our rainbow flags).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2021 at 4:54 PM, spenser1058 said:

The “park” at Sun Bank Center wasn’t originally planned - it was a compromise when Lincoln wanted to close Beardall Park on the corner. It did look ad hoc because that’s exactly what it was. Mayor Bill went along without complaint because he got a water feature which was a priority of his (of course, that whole idea died in 1998 due to the drought Pat Robertson smote us with because of our rainbow flags).

hahaha!

I mean, the whole image of Pat Robertson holding the Bible reminds me of the 2016 primaries when Trump called out Cruz as "Lying Ted."  "He holds the Bible high and then he puts it down and...LIES!"  You gotta give Trump props for that.  LOL.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

hahaha!

I mean, the whole image of Pat Robertson holding the Bible reminds me of the 2016 primaries when Trump called out Cruz as "Lying Ted."  "He holds the Bible high and then he puts it down and...LIES!"  You gotta give Trump props for that.  LOL.

Of course, Ted gets points for holding the Bible right side up as opposed to The Donald’s faux pas during his photo op across the street from the WH  at the Episcopal Church. I have no doubt I’ve spent more time in the pews than either of them and I’m one of them heathen homersexuals. Family Values, don’t ya know!

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
13 hours ago, uncreativeusername said:

Kind of a fitting reference, but also kind of an insult to Mondrian.  

*(Basic-as-****)-Mondrian Lake Eola.

Maybe they'll upgrade the paint scheme to retro colors befitting of the name?? /doubt it.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1