bic

Modera Central (Formerly University Club Tower) | 36-Story Residential [Approved]

271 posts in this topic

University Club approves 340-unit high-rise plan for downtown

university-4.png

Cliffs Notes:

- 26-story, 340-unit residential tower proposed for the University Club site at the SW corner of Rosalind Ave. & Central Blvd.

- 260-feet tall.

- The University Club will move into a condo taking up the entire first floor and the first floor of the 7-story parking garage.

- Developer is Texas-based Mill Creek Residential.

- Estimated to be completed in 2017.

- A representative of the University Club sounds optimistic about getting the city to approve a density greater than 340-units.

- No official renderings just yet.

1 person likes this

If University Club is taking up the entire first floor of the building, does this indicate there will be no retail / restaurant outlets at the prominent intersection of Central / Rosalind?

Thomas Chatmon: "There's already a 7-Eleven at that intersection - what else do you need?"

(As downtown enters its 7th year since the last significant retail was added and the Sentinel has acknowledged that we've actually lost retail since that time)

Edited by spenser1058

If University Club is taking up the entire first floor of the building, does this indicate there will be no retail / restaurant outlets at the prominent intersection of Central / Rosalind?

This is my concern. I'm crossing my fingers that by "first floor" the writer means "the first floor above ground level" as in buildings outside of the US where the ground floor is referred to as 0. One can hope.

What a great location those first two floors would be for a full sized department store.

With big display windows.

Clothing, small appliances, housewares, sporting & outdoor goods, toys, etc, etc.

I am completely in line with the general premise presented by other forumers and would certainly want to see a project with ground floor retail space - especially at this location.  But that being said, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out that it is truly not in the developer’s plans for this proposed project.  I say this from a strictly economic perspective.  Think of many of the larger-scale projects that have been built downtown over the past 7-10 years - Vue, 55 West, SkyHouse, Camden Apartments, 101 Eola, Sanctuary, etc.  All had their first floors largely dedicated to retail space.  And each either sits mostly empty or can't seem to generate or sustain thriving tenants, e.g. 55 West and Sanctuary.  So, given this, I could see a developer not wanting to dedicate much, or any, space to retail in a forthcoming project.  From their perspective, it may viewed as wasted space, which of course equals wasted dollars.  So, the question in my mind become why does the retail space that exists in these downtown projects struggle to attract tenants and subsequently thrive? 

A bit off topic, and obviously a recurring theme on these boards.  But something to consider given the possibility that this potentially major new development may forgo dedicated retail space altogether.

wether or not the University Club Tower has ground floor retail space or not (and i do hope it does), it seems it will have ground floor commercial use.  it just may not be open to the public ;)

I'm curious to see what this proposal will look like.

Lack of streetwise retail will hurt this project. Period.  It needs retail.   Anything...

I gotta tell you that every time I see a new post in this thread I open it with hopes that some new information or discussion has been added about the project itself only to have my hopes dashed by a viability of retail downtown discussion.

It's all great dialog but it ain't a rendering of our newest jewel in the skyline that's for sure  :P

1 person likes this

Talked to some people in the know. As of now, and this could all change, no retail planned for this project.

I moved the conversation about general downtown retail (or lack thereof) to this thread in the Coffee House. Let's keep the discussion in this thread about the University Club Tower. Retail talk is fine, as long as it is directly related to this building.

I think we'll be hearing something new about this tower by end of the summer. Anyone else hearing anything about it?

Would be nice to see the Tradition Tower design make a return.

1 person likes this

The www.bungalower.com website has a post showing the first look for this proposal.  26-stories

Thomas Chatmon: "There's already a 7-Eleven at that intersection - what else do you need?"

(As downtown enters its 7th year since the last significant retail was added and the Sentinel has acknowledged that we've actually lost retail since that time)

LOL!  Say it isn't so Tom...

I'm not thrilled with the overall look of the building, but do like that there is what appears to be ground floor retail space on all three sides of the building. 

Meh... It's a glass and metal box. We will see. 

Not bad, but still a big let down from Tradition Towers.

Kinda boxy looking.

How tall is this? 

I'm hoping this skips retail.  Too many buildings have retail now. If it does include retail it should only be on Pine and Central

I'm seeing some Miami Modern influences at play in the design, especially the pedestal.  Oddly enough, it seems to respond to the smallest building at the intersection, the little art deco building across the street with the 7-11. 

Edited by prahaboheme

It's a simple rendering, so I'm hoping it improves. However I must say, it looks to me at this point better looking then skyhouse (at least on par,) and just a bit taller.

I like the way the two wings of tower intersects at right angles so that whether you're looking at it from the north/south or east/west, it looks like you're seeing it from the side.

There appears to be no "end view".

I quite like it...The building does strike me a bit as "Architectonica-designs-a-Radisson-Blu-in-Bratislava", but that's a step up from the anti-architecture Orlando is typically plagued with.  

What's the harm in too much retail? There is harm in non-retail as people don't walk by empty streetscapes if they can avoid it - this included most office lobbies