Sign in to follow this  
bic

Citi Tower | 23-Story Residential [Under Construction]

Thanks for the photos.  I'm really excited about this one.  They've been doing a lot of night work so hopefully it will get vertical soon.

On 1/28/2016 at 0:08 PM, castorvx said:

The crane pictured above is currently lifting materials to the roof of the Lutheran towers. Looks unrelated/temporary? Maybe some HVAC work going on up there or something?

Hmm...you're right. I drove by the site recently and the big crane was gone. (The one from prahaboheme's photos is still there, though.)

There was, however, quite a bit of rebar on the site. Looks like the foundation could be underway. 

5 hours ago, alex said:

Hmm...you're right. I drove by the site recently and the big crane was gone. (The one from prahaboheme's photos is still there, though.)

There was, however, quite a bit of rebar on the site. Looks like the foundation could be underway. 

Yeah, they've been drilling for the foundation for several weeks already.

Downtown Orlando tweeted:

ROAD CLOSURE: Westbound Church St from Osceola Ave and Rosalind Ave and Northbound Lake Ave from Church St to Pine St for Citi Tower Project

Good points, dcluley98.

Many here including myself have been critical of 420 for this very reason -- it simply isn't up to muster and what we've come to expect from our downtown.  I expressed concerns regarding 420 from the very first rendering I saw.

I think Citi will be a net gain to the neighborhood for a few reasons:

- Smaller footprint with major increased residential density to support the existing neighborhood

- active retail space

- "Iconic" top floor beacon 

The good news is, Orlando is never going to turn into Florida's version of Houston -- Tampa is much more deregulated with regards to zoning (like Houston) than Orlando -- and it shows.  The bad news -- there are still plenty of examples (as mentioned) where we come up short.

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

It's been such a long time since Orlando's last "high-rise" construction.  I am much more excited about this than I should be!

Was Skyhouse that long ago?

^^

yeah, it was Steelhouse, then Skyhouse, then the rest of the recent projects...NORA maybe was after that...

the way they build in downtown lately, its almost like they won't build two buildings within a couple blocks of each other simultaneously; Citi Tower is the latest example of this.

There were a lot of concrete trucks and pumps on the site yesterday. Today I drove past and saw the same area covered with dirt and rebar columns being installed.