Walkerview

GRDadof3

Apparently Rockford Development Group, a group affiliated with Miller Johnson, Moore & Bruggink Engineering and Medical Properties Investments Co have bought all of the land that was planned for the 235 acre Orchard Park development in Walker, and are seeking a rezoning to a mix of highway industry - office, light industry and heavy industry, called "Walkerview." Not much else in the way of details.

The Walker Planning Commission is a bit trepidatious about making the change from a PUD. Public hearing Dec 3rd.

http://www.ci.walker.mi.us/COMPLETE_Walkerview_PC_Packet_12_3_14.pdf

15888406015_76368e4935_b.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like medical related jobs would be on the way with this. I'd say approve it Walker.

I don't think it's medical related, not all of it. The Medical Properties Investments parcel is only one of a bunch of them, and has Grand Rapids Ophthalmology on it already. I think it's just going to be a large office/industrial park, if I were a betting man.

I found this site plan on a listing. Wonder what the large office building is in the lower right corner? Not very exciting for urbanists but a pretty large development for the area nonetheless.

15894942782_ff70df34c3_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thers a lot of potential here I think this could be huge with jobs and tax revenue even if its not retail and love seeing it in a CITY not a township. 

For all intents and purposes Walker is a glorified Incorporated township.  There's more farmland than people in it's borders.

For all intents and purposes Walker is a glorified Incorporated township.  There's more farmland than people in it's borders.

I was going to say, what's the difference if it's a city or township? A lot of the cities around here are extremely difficult to work with in regards to construction, vs the townships.

right well the way its set up in MI its common to have less restrictions and taxes in twp than cities but cities get recognized and it nice to see infll in cities first before the outer twps, just my opinion though

right well the way its set up in MI its common to have less restrictions and taxes in twp than cities but cities get recognized and it nice to see infll in cities first before the outer twps, just my opinion though

The only reason Walker exists is a city is that it borders Grand Rapids and predates the Charter Township act.   Frankly, it's the worst of both worlds--they have a city income tax and aren't really a proper city at all.  With their city income tax and status as little more than a glorified township, it's surprising anyone wants to build much of anything other than cheap apartments.  It's like hanging out a sign that says "build next door (if possible)". 

So far as the development is concerned, it sounds like something I got wind of a month or two ago.  That project was supposed to be mostly medical uses, but maybe they've since broadened the scope. 

Walker, Wyoming, and Kentwood all incorporated in the early 60's to prevent the City of GR from annexing their industrial base (tax dollars). In Walker's case it was the GM Alpine Trim plant.

I've lived in Walker since 1979 and have always been proud to say I live here. Our tax rate is low even with the income tax. Our streets are in good repair. Our streets are plowed very promptly.  We have a good paid on call fire dept with a few full time guys on days.  The fire house(s) aren't full of firemen 24 hours a day. Good police protection. Wages and benefits are fair but not out of control. Their finances are in order .

City staff gets blamed for Alpine Ave from I-96 to 4 Mile due to the Green Ridge development but the Springbrook neighbors, Kingsbury / Gage neighborhood and Coventry / Ipswich neighborhood put tremendous pressure on the Planning Commission and City Commission and what you see is what we got. My neighbor was the PC Chairman at the time and he and I spent some porch time discussing alternate street layouts to facilitate much better traffic flow. The neighbors would have no part of any of the suggestions.  Lack of good N-S alternate routes west of Alpine between 3 Mile and 8 Mile also add to the congestion on Alpine which happens to the the State Trunkline north west out of the metro GR area.

I'm not sure why vacant farmland makes it not worthy of being a city. GR had lots of vacant farmland when I was growing up. Lots of vacant / farmland east of Fuller, west of the Beltline , north of Michigan, south of I-96.

Not sure why the "cheap apartments" comment either. Apartments are a needed component of the housing stock. They make the transition from commeciasl / retail zoming to single family residentail in good planning. (FYI: York Creek is in the twp to the north if that's what you're refering to.)

• 1 year later...

Construction has started on this in a big way... Biiiiiiig. I'd think they must have at least one or two large tenants lined up.  Not sure what would go in here exactly, but it looks like a large distribution center.  If it were some sort of manufacturing, it would be a pretty massive facility and you'd think it would have gotten more press due to the number of jobs.

View from Walker Ave:

zfdUO3Ka3Yc1tkPaJUGASj-YAZ94eO_nl-vARqyK

View from 4 Mile:

cS3UKI1Q2Oezc-m_QH_15q8dQhXtcXB2dvf92o5P

1uar_EyOskI-kUQZtGkV09YT4pbyD4pv1eOb9eIq

10 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I'm surprised FedEx wouldn't build closer to the airport. Or is this in addition to what they have at the airport?

joe

I would imagine in addition to. Maybe to serve the Muskegon/Grand Haven area? 

Both UPS and FedEx truck a lot into GR. Use the tracking service when you purchase something online. I'd say far more is trucked to GR than rides in an airplane. i want to say the new FedEx facility has parking space for 600 semi trailers.

My personal best delivery story was ordering 4 specialty light bulbs form a vendor in Detroit about 4:30pm. Picked up by FedEx about 7:30pm and on my doorstep in Walker by 9:30 am the next morning. Went by truck via their hub in Perrysberg OH. Got a computer PCU from Memphis in 2 days. Same thing, all by truck.

What i find amazing is the entire trailer load gets "clocked' thru the gates by some fancy hi-tech reader of some sort:)

38 minutes ago, Raildude's dad said:

Both UPS and FedEx truck a lot into GR. Use the tracking service when you purchase something online. I'd say far more is trucked to GR than rides in an airplane. i want to say the new FedEx facility has parking space for 600 semi trailers.

My personal best delivery story was ordering 4 specialty light bulbs form a vendor in Detroit about 4:30pm. Picked up by FedEx about 7:30pm and on my doorstep in Walker by 9:30 am the next morning. Went by truck via their hub in Perrysberg OH. Got a computer PCU from Memphis in 2 days. Same thing, all by truck.

What i find amazing is the entire trailer load gets "clocked' thru the gates by some fancy hi-tech reader of some sort:)

I have a friend who works for Waste Management regional office and you'd be astounded by the systems they use to track their trucks and pickup efficiencies. They even make their drivers do a choreographed "dance" with their trucks every morning before taking off on their routes, to gauge their alertness levels. I was astounded anyway. :) 

600 trailers is HUGE. 

43 minutes ago, arcturus said:

Considering its size I think it will serve a good chunk of  W Michigan from Grand Haven north.  

The UPS hub at 54th and Clyde Park is the UPS entry point for the Western half of the LP and Parts of the Eastern UP( Essentially Outstate Michigan).  I would imagine this be the same.

5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I have a friend who works for Waste Management regional office and you'd be astounded by the systems they use to track their trucks and pickup efficiencies. They even make their drivers do a choreographed "dance" with their trucks every morning before taking off on their routes, to gauge their alertness levels. I was astounded anyway. :) 

600 trailers is HUGE. 

Don't quote me on the number of trailers. I looked at the site plan some time ago and did count the trailer spots. it was a lot and the building is huge. 

3 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

Don't quote me on the number of trailers. I looked at the site plan some time ago and did count the trailer spots. it was a lot and the building is huge. 

It's definitely the sign of a growing economy. I drove through Indiana, Kentucky and Tennessee lately and was blown away by the massive distribution facilities; all looked to be fairly new. 

12 hours ago, Raildude's dad said:

I found the site plan. Building is 346,000 sq feet. parking for 391 trailers and 99 trucks. Car parking for employees is 575 spaces. Big place.

That is big. Might be one of the largest industrial buildings constructed in quite some time around here.

FedEx Walkerview.JPG

Archived