Boston Square development

StairCase

Anyone here if this passed?  I would hope it would be unanimous!  Here are some additional renderings.  It looks great and would be such a boost for the neighborhood.  Looks like Modern would to the other side of Kzoo.

20191001_BSQ-BOARDS_OPEN-HOUSE-3-SMALL-FILE.thumb.jpg.abd1f20da5c5cc76f5d542f3f71e060c.jpg1384487217_Asset2@4x-100.thumb.jpg.008da098f143bbd16b1f84455fe3e1a1.jpg1518422312_food1@4x-100.thumb.jpg.15a06ed9a1031911f47dae293463c074.jpggreen1@4x-100.thumb.jpg.5c49c0fb9049bc9fcaa3800009bf7c6f.jpg

18 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Anyone here if this passed?  I would hope it would be unanimous!  Here are some additional renderings.  It looks great and would be such a boost for the neighborhood.  Looks like Modern would to the other side of Kzoo.

20191001_BSQ-BOARDS_OPEN-HOUSE-3-SMALL-FILE.thumb.jpg.abd1f20da5c5cc76f5d542f3f71e060c.jpg1384487217_Asset2@4x-100.thumb.jpg.008da098f143bbd16b1f84455fe3e1a1.jpg1518422312_food1@4x-100.thumb.jpg.15a06ed9a1031911f47dae293463c074.jpggreen1@4x-100.thumb.jpg.5c49c0fb9049bc9fcaa3800009bf7c6f.jpg

Some of those renderings look great! This would be a really cool project.

As someone that lived just slightly NE of this, I'm utterly floored at the ambition of this project.

This is going to epicly advance that district 30 years past where it has been. And it will have coattails that will bring up the multitude of drab, unambitious and poorly executed projects up a few notches. It will definitely cause the clearing-out of some buildings that need to be demolished and rebuilt.

And what's the "creek"? I know that a retaining pond is nearby, but I had no idea that we actually had a covered creek that ran through there!

Edited by GR_Urbanist
  • Like 2

I agree that I really like this project, that area could really use a shot in the arm.  That Walgreens needs to be redone if not leveled.

The NIMBYism from a few is kind of crazy to me.  One argument against it is that it will raise property values.  Who wouldn't want their property values to increase?  Maybe because of the higher taxes?  It really only effects renters.  An owner occupied property is much more likely to be more well kept than a rental.  Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but it's true.  I understand the suspicion of "rich white guy comes to the neighborhood to build stuff", but who wouldn't want an improvement to their neighborhood?

14 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I agree that I really like this project, that area could really use a shot in the arm.  That Walgreens needs to be redone if not leveled.

The NIMBYism from a few is kind of crazy to me.  One argument against it is that it will raise property values.  Who wouldn't want their property values to increase?  Maybe because of the higher taxes?  It really only effects renters.  An owner occupied property is much more likely to be more well kept than a rental.  Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but it's true.  I understand the suspicion of "rich white guy comes to the neighborhood to build stuff", but who wouldn't want an improvement to their neighborhood?

I think the worry is if property values go up, landlords may cash in on the new equity, and a new landlord may raise rents and displace long-time residents.  I know that would worry me if I was renting and living on a modest income without the ability to pay higher rent.  For the record, I have NO idea what the ownership rate is in that neighborhood, but it is a legitimate concern. 

On balance, however, if this comes to fruition, it would be great for that neighborhood.  Maybe it could even be a catalyst for some development at Hall & Giddings, and make the Hall St Bakery not seem as much like it is on an island.

20 minutes ago, ModSquad said:

I do not hear any complaints about this project from the folks that live there.  I do hear complaints from a bunch of "woke" folks that have no stake in the community or its improvement.  Their argument does not hold water by any metric

That's been my observation as well. Most of the opposition I've perceived has come from people that don't live in the neighborhood and are using this as a new front in their war against the DeVos family. I'm generally sympathetic to most of the opposition group's positions (and they do a lot of great activism), but they really missed the mark on this one.

I know this area quite well also, as I grew up a few blocks north (across Hall). The gentrification that is occurring in this area is due to Wealthy St creeping southward.

Is a "concerned" nonresident NIMBY a NITBY?

Edited by organsnyder
  • Like 3

Internet woke is a thing for the 35 and under crowd. It's probably the same crowd that conflates theory with reality and pragmatism with oppression. This crowd won't allow you to have a win win situation. Just move on and do good work for people. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chisox said:

Internet woke is a thing for the 35 and under crowd. It's probably the same crowd that conflates theory with reality and pragmatism with oppression. This crowd won't allow you to have a win win situation. Just move on and do good work for people. 

The group in question is mostly a generation older than 35.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 2:50 PM, wmrharris said:

There's a little bit of it in EGR behind Grace Episcopal. The creekbed served as the path of the rail to East. There's still a bump in the road on Colorado, just south of Adams for the long-gone roadbed.

Starts at Wilshire & Hall and runs to Plaster Creek at Chicago Drive. It's a big drainage district. The drain is pretty much enclosed.

https://www.accesskent.com/Departments/DrainCommissioner/pdfs/maps/Grand_Rapids_South.pdf

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, mjak68 said:

It kind of reminds me of the City Modern Brush Park development in Detroit a little bit.  I like it.  

The cool thing that City Modern did was utilize several different building designs (although all are "modern") to give the impression that the development was built over time organically. It would be cool if this one could be the same way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gvsusean said:

I think they are kinda neat.. except that parking lot

The problem I have with the design is that most of the people in that neighborhood have incomes well below the area median income, and many live below the poverty level. And this project is meant to embrace the people in the neighborhood, not displace them (which is one of the big issues AmplifyGR is having with the neighborhood stakeholders). 

Does this design speak of enhancing the aesthetic of the area, or will it look like "low income" housing in a few years? The problem with modern designs like this, in a harsh climate like ours, is that the exterior materials start to look tired in a very short period of time. 

Plus that plaza feels "cold" to me because of the design. Kind of the feeling that the GRAM gives off at times, especially in the gray winter. I highly doubt you'll ever see as many people outside enjoying it as you do in those renderings. 

Contrast that with the townhouses at Madison and Hall, or the townhouses at Franklin and Ionia, which look as fresh and new as the day they were built, 15 - 20 years ago. 

https://goo.gl/maps/ihnaH7ZgiJfbEQwA8

• Like 3