Best Beaches in the US

TallTampa

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best beaches in the US and territories: St. Thomas, USVI

Best beaches in the US: area around Destin, FL with its sugar white beaches

I am referring here to the beaches themselves, not the surrounding areas.

The Hamptons in NY, dont even deserve an honorable mention. That is quite possibly the most overrated place on earth. I think the Hamptons are glorified by NY media types b/c of their proximity to the city. Your average beach in the Southeast beats the crap out of any beach in the Northeast.

The panhandle beaches were definitely overlooked, but alot of them got slammed by Ivan. I was in Seaside two weeks ago and they lost alot of beach. In fact, Grayton Beach State Park was closed when I was there and that beach always seems to make the list of "Best Beaches."

Captiva Island, just off of Sannibel Island, just off of Ft. Myers Beach has ("had" - I heard the hurricanes destroyed the island) one of the nicest beaches I have ever visited. It feels very remote and natural, like a Caribbean Island or something. I hope some of the beach and the large trees are left. But, from what I've heard, the island was basically torn in half by last year's hurricane season. It's a shame. I don't know if Captiva ever got mentioned in a "best beaches" publication, but it definitely should have.

Archived