GRDadof3

Cascade to get its first..

34 posts in this topic

..skyscraper! An actual 7 story Drury Hotel. This proposal was shot down back 07 because it was "too tall." Seems Cascade has loosened up a bit. One caveat, the developer has to include a "Welcome to Cascade" wall along 28th Street in their development.

15713564010_765415aedb_c.jpg

15900868835_99ff18538a_b.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/ada-cascade/index.ssf/2014/11/post_432.html

..skyscraper! An actual 7 story Drury Hotel. This proposal was shot down back 07 because it was "too tall." Seems Cascade has loosened up a bit. One caveat, the developer has to include a "Welcome to Cascade" wall along 28th Street in their development.

15713564010_765415aedb_c.jpg

15900868835_99ff18538a_b.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/ada-cascade/index.ssf/2014/11/post_432.html

Because the road itself is not welcoming enough? :) 

2WDeAvg.jpg

1 person likes this

I think this is good news.  Seriously.  This metro area is overdue for some tall buildings outside the CDB, and it's not like downtown really needs a Drury Inn.

Cascade zoning rules allow tall buildings in the Expressway Service district but only if the developer meets the township requirement of also providing an upgrade that benefits the community as a whole, such as a public green space, a trail extension, or in this case, a township entry wall.

:rofl: I like that zoning law, but it's kinda funny they thought of probably the least beneficial thing possible in order to comply.  How about a nice koi pond?  Or an animal topiary?

But if we must have a sign, I think they should go for the gusto:

10407185_10101152108397355_6257136588363

Edited by RegalTDP
2 people like this

I think this is good news.  Seriously.  This metro area is overdue for some tall buildings outside the CDB, and it's not like downtown really needs a Drury Inn.

:rofl: I like that zoning law, but it's kinda funny they thought of probably the least beneficial thing possible in order to comply.  How about a nice koi pond?  Or an animal topiary?

But if we must have a sign, I think they should go for the gusto:

10407185_10101152108397355_6257136588363

Right, anything smaller will get lost in the sumac.

Stayed in a Drury hotel once. Loved it—reasonable pricing, extras all included (including a free happy hour with drinks and popcorn), and decent service.

Looks like my dad will have a new place to stay when he comes into town for a Griffins or Caps game (I live in a small studio while I go back to school.)

What would benefit the community as a whole in that area would be a holding pen for the panhandlers.

What would benefit the community as a whole in that area would be a holding pen for the panhandlers.

They have one: McDonald's. Seriously I was in there a few weeks ago and it was filled with panhandlers and their signs.

They have one: McDonald's. Seriously I was in there a few weeks ago and it was filled with panhandlers and their signs.

Wow.  I've taken to using the back driveway to 33rd street to avoid having to explain why you can't always believe what is written on the sign and that I'm not really a cruel hearted person.

They should head down to Ada Bible and panhandle at the entrance / exit. Get 'em while their defenses are down.

I Drove past a Drury Inn in Denver that is exactly the same as this design. It was a pretty nice looking suburban hotel. Much nicer than a couple of the other chain hotels around it (courtyard, doubletree).

skyscraper lol, its about time! the suburbs certainly lack height I always wondered why a city the size of Wyoming would support some taller hotels and office buildings, maybe that will change with the new "downtown" Wyoming?

http://www.mlive.com/ada-cascade/index.ssf/2014/12/post_437.html#incart_related_stories

looks like they will start this spring and include a " Welcome to Cascade" sign with a reference to the airport parking structure?

Let's just call that the "West Michigan Wave" a/k/a/ one of the most evocative, meaningful, and intriguing design elements ever conjured by mere mortals, worthy of adulation, and inclusion wherever it can be shoehorned in.  Even if it takes a rather parsimonious zoning ordinance to get one as a freebie.

1 person likes this

Well that's... underwhelming.  I've felt more "welcomed" by the signs telling me I crossed into Plaster Creek watershed.

Let's just call that the "West Michigan Wave" a/k/a/ one of the most evocative, meaningful, and intriguing design elements ever conjured by mere mortals, worthy of adulation, and inclusion wherever it can be shoehorned in.  Even if it takes a rather parsimonious zoning ordinance to get one as a freebie.

Just think, after they actually return the waves to the Grand River, that design element will go epic.

Just think, after they actually return the waves to the Grand River, that design element will go epic.

It's already been subtly co-opted by Omaha (and probably many other cities)...

5082177.jpg

It's already been subtly co-opted by Omaha (and probably many other cities)...

5082177.jpg

Those friggin bastards!!!!! :)

I thought it hadn't been that long since I was in this area and hadn't seen anything, but went by today off the I-96 exit and they are going full bore with site work. 

Big crane is up on site.  Sorry I didn't get a picture.  Looks just like the one downtown at the Arena Place site.

Big crane is up on site.  Sorry I didn't get a picture.  Looks just like the one downtown at the Arena Place site.

Like a tower crane? That's crazy, in Cascade! 

Well lookey there. 

18466156096_ba45236925_b.jpg

1 person likes this

This hotel is looking pretty nice, actually. The tower crane is gone and lot of the exterior masonry is on. Didn't get a picture though..

The Embassy Suites or Hilton Garden Inn on the East Beltline by WMU is also looking pretty hefty, built almost entirely of concrete and brick with balconies on almost every unit.