Cascade to get its first..

GRDadof3

..skyscraper! An actual 7 story Drury Hotel. This proposal was shot down back 07 because it was "too tall." Seems Cascade has loosened up a bit. One caveat, the developer has to include a "Welcome to Cascade" wall along 28th Street in their development.

15713564010_765415aedb_c.jpg

15900868835_99ff18538a_b.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/ada-cascade/index.ssf/2014/11/post_432.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

..skyscraper! An actual 7 story Drury Hotel. This proposal was shot down back 07 because it was "too tall." Seems Cascade has loosened up a bit. One caveat, the developer has to include a "Welcome to Cascade" wall along 28th Street in their development.

15713564010_765415aedb_c.jpg

15900868835_99ff18538a_b.jpg

http://www.mlive.com/ada-cascade/index.ssf/2014/11/post_432.html

Because the road itself is not welcoming enough? :) 

2WDeAvg.jpg

I think this is good news.  Seriously.  This metro area is overdue for some tall buildings outside the CDB, and it's not like downtown really needs a Drury Inn.

Cascade zoning rules allow tall buildings in the Expressway Service district but only if the developer meets the township requirement of also providing an upgrade that benefits the community as a whole, such as a public green space, a trail extension, or in this case, a township entry wall.

:rofl: I like that zoning law, but it's kinda funny they thought of probably the least beneficial thing possible in order to comply.  How about a nice koi pond?  Or an animal topiary?

But if we must have a sign, I think they should go for the gusto:

10407185_10101152108397355_6257136588363

I think this is good news.  Seriously.  This metro area is overdue for some tall buildings outside the CDB, and it's not like downtown really needs a Drury Inn.

:rofl: I like that zoning law, but it's kinda funny they thought of probably the least beneficial thing possible in order to comply.  How about a nice koi pond?  Or an animal topiary?

But if we must have a sign, I think they should go for the gusto:

10407185_10101152108397355_6257136588363

Right, anything smaller will get lost in the sumac.

They have one: McDonald's. Seriously I was in there a few weeks ago and it was filled with panhandlers and their signs.

Wow.  I've taken to using the back driveway to 33rd street to avoid having to explain why you can't always believe what is written on the sign and that I'm not really a cruel hearted person.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mlive.com/ada-cascade/index.ssf/2014/12/post_437.html#incart_related_stories

looks like they will start this spring and include a " Welcome to Cascade" sign with a reference to the airport parking structure?

Let's just call that the "West Michigan Wave" a/k/a/ one of the most evocative, meaningful, and intriguing design elements ever conjured by mere mortals, worthy of adulation, and inclusion wherever it can be shoehorned in.  Even if it takes a rather parsimonious zoning ordinance to get one as a freebie.

Let's just call that the "West Michigan Wave" a/k/a/ one of the most evocative, meaningful, and intriguing design elements ever conjured by mere mortals, worthy of adulation, and inclusion wherever it can be shoehorned in.  Even if it takes a rather parsimonious zoning ordinance to get one as a freebie.

Just think, after they actually return the waves to the Grand River, that design element will go epic.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

This hotel is looking pretty nice, actually. The tower crane is gone and lot of the exterior masonry is on. Didn't get a picture though..

The Embassy Suites or Hilton Garden Inn on the East Beltline by WMU is also looking pretty hefty, built almost entirely of concrete and brick with balconies on almost every unit. 

Archived