"Bordeaux" LESS than 10 minutes to Bridgestone

AgentNorth

Hopefully this becomes a pinned topic. The area is ripe for redevelopment. I stress the word redevelopment; because the area was once a thriving area in the past. The views in Bordeaux can hold their own against the best in Nashville. Furthermore, the river beckons for the acquaintance of development. Most major cities would not go this long with ignoring riverfront property w/views. If you have ever travelled down Clarksville pike from the Joelton area; you would see the most beautiful "wizard of oz" like view of downtown Nashville and west end. Everyday, that view reminds me of a grand welcome to Nashville. The bridge over the river on Clarksville pike should be so much more grand than what it is. In addition, the area is extremely historical. The area was founded by a Nashville native in the 1800s, who spent a lot of years in bordeaux France. When he returned home, the Bordeaux riverside reminded him of Bordeaux France. He bought the land and donated a piece of it for the now standing Bordeaux Elementary. One of the first general stores was built in this area. That land is currently for sale, right across from Bordeaux foods on south Hamilton. That piece of land is elevated and has amazing views of downtown and west end. Slaves from new Orleans were unloaded from river boats, right under the bridge on Clarksville pike onto river road. Once unloaded, the slaves were marched to a large plantation off of hydes ferry road; the same plantation near where Jesse James spent several years of his life. Also, the house were Jesse James lived, is still standing in the area and currently for sale. However, Nashville has no historical markers for any of this in Bordeaux. Quite rare to see such a historical area, not be properly labeled as historical. Bordeaux has always been associated with farther up parts of north Nashville. However it was founded as AND will always be a smaller riverside community. I feel lucky that I was able to recently purchase one of the 1930s stone homes in the area off the river. My views and short drives to work downtown are premium. Join the fun. Starting with the Clarksville pike corridor bridge area. A redevelopment of that corridor would be great. Currently anchored by a Walgreens, tiger mart and Bank of America. Not many intersections have better views and proximitys to downtown.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully so sir. Definitely wouldn't be a new task to over come. Reference East Nashville. I'm in law enforcement; and I just bought a home here. Bordeaux is a river community with city views. It does not encompasses all of North Nashville i.e (trinity hills, Northwest, Haynes park, Talbots corner, troppard heights. Haynes estates.) Other neighborhoods in Nashville such as..... Sylan park, Inglewood, Germantown, Hillsboro, The nations etc....are considered separated neighborhoods....Hopefully Bordeaux can equally receive the same status.

I would recommend that you contact Ruby Baker, who is President of the Bordeaux Hills Neighborhood Association and is also a candidate for the District 1 Metro Council seat that will be vacated in August.  Lonnell Matthews is the current CM who is term limited but is running for an At-Large seat. 

I am sure that Ruby would love to hear your ideas and would like to join with like-minded folks who are trying to bring about positive changes for Bordeaux.  Ruby has provided some great presentations about their neighborhood group's work at The Neighborhoods Resource Center's Neighborhood Celebration and at another recent program put on by the Mayor's Office of Neighborhoods.

My main caution to you is that Sylvan Park, Hillsboro Village, Inglewood (and most of East Nashville), and Germantown got where they are today through decades of hard work and determination by committed neighborhood associations.  The work of these groups and the independent businesses owners who partnered with the neighborhod groups created the strong neighborhood identity which is the value that some in the real estate development community respect and enhance and others see merely as a speculative investment opportunity for the taking. 

I would encourage you to join with your neighbors and create a wholistic identity for your area through whatever means you see fit and shape development along those lines.  Otherwise, you will get random development that takes advantage of the views but does not contribute to anything remotely resembling the neighborhood feel that you reference in Hillsboro Village or Inglewood. 

You might also want to reach out to Bobby Stockard, who is a candidate for Council District 2, which is presently represented by Frank Harrison, who is term limited.  District 2 includes the Clarksville Highway area just north of the Cumberland River and goes over along Trinity all the way to Dickerson Pike.  I have not yet had an opportunity to meet Mr. Stockard. 

Im very aware of the "actual" crime statistics in the county. Thus, it's a very good reason (and clue for outsiders) why "I" decided to buy a house in the area. I believe in supply and demand. When good hearted professionals began to move into an area, the demand for entertainment, shopping etc goes up. My hope for individuals seeing my presence in the community as "a" reason to move in; has already had a immediate impact. Four house's right near me have sold since I've moved to the riverside and it's just been 1 year. The Bordeaux riverside and its views will not take decades for re-emergence.

P.S My first tomato garden here was a huge success....must be that riverside soil.

• 1 month later...

my house is 6 miles from Vanderbilt Hospital, 7 miles from 5 points in East Nashville, and 14 miles from the airport.

all for $100K less than I would have paid in east Nashville, and I have a view of downtown

I've been there for 3 years and have had zero crime problems.

more people need to move here and participate in the neighborhood association

Hopefully this becomes a pinned topic. The area is ripe for redevelopment. I stress the word redevelopment; because the area was once a thriving area in the past. The views in Bordeaux can hold their own against the best in Nashville. Furthermore, the river beckons for the acquaintance of development. Most major cities would not go this long with ignoring riverfront property w/views. If you have ever travelled down Clarksville pike from the Joelton area; you would see the most beautiful "wizard of oz" like view of downtown Nashville and west end. Everyday, that view reminds me of a grand welcome to Nashville. The bridge over the river on Clarksville pike should be so much more grand than what it is. In addition, the area is extremely historical. The area was founded by a Nashville native in the 1800s, who spent a lot of years in bordeaux France. When he returned home, the Bordeaux riverside reminded him of Bordeaux France. He bought the land and donated a piece of it for the now standing Bordeaux Elementary. One of the first general stores was built in this area. That land is currently for sale, right across from Bordeaux foods on south Hamilton. That piece of land is elevated and has amazing views of downtown and west end. Slaves from new Orleans were unloaded from river boats, right under the bridge on Clarksville pike onto river road. Once unloaded, the slaves were marched to a large plantation off of hydes ferry road; the same plantation near where Jesse James spent several years of his life. Also, the house were Jesse James lived, is still standing in the area and currently for sale. However, Nashville has no historical markers for any of this in Bordeaux. Quite rare to see such a historical area, not be properly labeled as historical. Bordeaux has always been associated with farther up parts of north Nashville. However it was founded as AND will always be a smaller riverside community. I feel lucky that I was able to recently purchase one of the 1930s stone homes in the area off the river. My views and short drives to work downtown are premium. Join the fun. Starting with the Clarksville pike corridor bridge area. A redevelopment of that corridor would be great. Currently anchored by a Walgreens, tiger mart and Bank of America. Not many intersections have better views and proximitys to downtown.

Thanks for the historical account of Bordeaux.  I always wondered about the relationship of that name with the French city.

For years during the 1960s and early '70s I used to drive across the Bordeaux bridge and would avoid the South Hamilton - Buena Vista Pk. intersection and cut north through Cliff drive, where even then I observed some rather charming homes like that.  And when I had been a bit more adventurous during the late '60s, I used to wait for a freight train to finish crossing that timber trestle and rusty swing bridge and then hike across the river (making sure to avoid looking straight down between the crossties) to shortcut from where I had lived in North Nashv'l to the Ashland City Hwy (SR-12).  Even back then, almost 50 years ago, I would look back halfway across that RR bridge and marvel at the view of DT, even though it didn't have a whole lot to boast at the time. (L&C had been the biggest thing then).

And especially driving east from the crest on Clarksville Hwy, that view had been even more spectacular.  On the east portal of the old (Warren-type) through-truss bridge that got replaced eventually of course, there once had been a metal sign which read "Bordeaux - Unincorporated", viewable by those headed into that community.  Of course this had been before the city-county became consolidated, so such signs had been the norm for communities.  Even now I frequently look out my office-bldg window downtown and can readily see those twin white public-works water tanks sitting on the side of the hill in Bordeaux (they used to be painted green), and co-workers think I'm crazy to even pause and take note of that.  During the mid-late '50s my father owned a tract of land about 3/4 mile north of Clarksville Pk. which we used to use as a fishin' hole and for picnics.  All that is a mere memory now.

-==-

I was told by a long time resident that the corner of Clarksville Hwy and Buena Vista Pike used to be very bad - there was a flea market there.  She said she used to have people drive down Trinity Lane to get to her house even though it was a longer route because she was embarrassed for people to see what was there.

That's where the Walgreens is now.

here's a review of the Bordeaux Motel, located on Clarksville Pike, from 2005

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55229-d122662-Reviews-Bordeaux_Motel-Nashville_Tennessee.html

I don't know if it has improved since 2005 or not.  The hotel was purchased by Sanmukh Patel in 1981 for $150,000.  That seems very high for 1981 in Bordeaux - the current tax appraisal is only $161,000.  The owner before that was Tom Resha. 

I assume Resha Lane behind the hotel is named after him

Agentnorth, your description of Bordeaux is spot on.

When driving south on Clarksville Pike toward downtown, the view resembles the glistening Emerald City in The Wizard of Oz.  My favorite time of day is mid afternoon when the sunlight beaming down seems to be just right.  The night view is awesome as well. It's also very accessible to downtown, west Nashville, the airport, and Germantown is about 2 1/2 miles away.  It literally is the last "undiscovered" area left, and prices of real estate reflect that.  A lot of very charming homes in the $100,000 range, built in the 1930's and 40's. We've been here since 2006.  No break ins, no tampering with our cars damage to our property whatsoever. Our cozy home was built in 1945  and a little bit of a downtown view. We just purchased another

Just a couple of not so young professionals that plan on living here for a very long time.  The people that we have met are wonderful and many share the same passion for the area.  We know that things are going to change and we want to make sure those changes are in our favor.

Getting back to that drive down Clarksville Pike, when you see that view, it's the most obvious thing in the world.  Why this has not caught on is beyond me. We love Bordeaux and we're not letting go of it.   

• 1 month later...

I bought a home in Bordeaux Hills (Bordeaux Gardens?) in May of last year. I've had zero problems. My neighbors are older and it's very quiet, there's a nice little view off my porch and a new park alongside the river. It's about 5 min from Briley. In 2012 I lived around DB Todd/Buchanan and I started to see signs of improvement.

In 2008 I lived in now "hip" Cleveland Park ( aka priced out of Lockeland Springs/Edgefield/South Inglewood) in comparison to Bordeaux, I feel safer here now than I did there at the time. You WOULD NOT see people walking dogs and pushing strollers or jogging. I feel confident saying this, you're not gonna get in any cheaper if you want to be near downtown. Especially if you're looking for architectual charm and some space, it's not overly developed here. If you notice, they're having to tear down to build in all the other neighborhoods. There's a magnet school nearby, newer YMCA, the Sounds Stadium is coming and something is going on in Metro Center at the old Fountain Square Mall, I'm not sure what. I'd definitely recommend Bordeaux to anybody on the market that doesn't want to way overspend and would like growing with a neighborhood.

Welcome to the forum. A few have campaigned for a pinned Bordeaux topic on here, but have been unsuccessful. The area's amazing views, riverfront property, and proximity to broadway are undisputed. The majority of our new neighbors will be individuals who move into Nashville from other cities, and I see that as a good thing. A sincerely open minded urban neighborhood is what were pushing for here in Bordeaux/North.

Hello Mmh, welcome aboard.

I think you're going to see even more positive changes on the horizon.  First of all, Ruby Baker, who also resides in Bordeaux Hills, is running for district 1 council in this year's election.  I hope you get to meet her.  She has done many good things for your area, and we share a common interest in making Bordeaux a better place.

People are moving in, and it is great to see this.  You are right about value for what you get here.  I think it is only a matter of time until this catches on, and more folks like yourself  will find themselves realizing what we have here.  Hope we see you around.

Very few individual neighborhoods have their own pinned topic -- most are grouped together. That's mostly because we don't want most of the first page to be pinned topics.

This isn't to say that it can't become a pinned topic. If the amount and frequency of discussion warrants it, then we will certainly consider it. In the meantime, keep this topic on the front page! I think it's obvious that a lot of us are curious about the goings-on in other neighborhoods around Nashville -- not just the ones in the urban core. We appreciate the updates and discussion.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm hearing great things about Bordeaux from the trail blazer new residents that want to see it come to life. I'm looking forward to this journey. Nashville is getting crazy with gentrification, though.  I'm being pushed out of Hillsboro because of extreme price increases...  certainly no longer a middle income area anymore, if you want to own a home.  Love all the info on here about Bordeaux. It certainly has the best name for such a diamond in the rough. I'm on the lookout for my affordable stone cottage <3

• 2 weeks later...

Archived