Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nashmoney

America's 20 most recognizable skylines, ranked by Thrillist

15 posts in this topic

I found this Blog hilarious. I agree with some of the rankings, but putting NYC at # 10 and ranking Seattle at # 1...come on, really?? The writer must not read or get out much. And Phoneix on the list blows my mind. When I first saw that pic I thought it was a city in Latin or South America. Best and Recognizable are two different things IMO. His blog is going off of recognizable.

Interested to see what your top 5 recognizable skylines would be.

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/best-skylines-in-america-seattle-chicago-and-las-vegas-top-our-list

Here is my top 5:

1. NYC - Of Course - Empire State, Chrysler, One World Trade, and just the sheer density

2. Chicago - Sears Tower, and the lake

3. Seattle - Space needed and Mt St Helen

4. LA - only place you can have palm trees and snow covered mountains in the same pic

5. Nashville - Batman building - ok...I'm little biased lol - But we do have the only batman shaped building in the world.

5. Nashville - Batman building - ok...I'm little biased lol - But we do have the only batman shaped building in the world.

Actually, no. Melbourne, Australia has an office building that was constructed 3 years before ours (1991) that bears more than a passing resemblance.

http://www.emporis.com/building/melbournecentralofficetower-melbourne-australia

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1020&bih=650&q=Melbourne+Central+Office+Tower&oq=Melbourne+Central+Office+Tower&gs_l=img.3..0.848.848.0.1419.1.1.0.0.0.0.40.40.1.1.0....0...1ac.1.58.img..0.1.39.RtCayeibrTI#imgdii=_

(Sorry, I couldn't get any link to show a picture in the post)

2 people like this

I found this Blog hilarious. I agree with some of the rankings, but putting NYC at # 10 and ranking Seattle at # 1...come on, really?? The writer must not read or get out much. And Phoneix on the list blows my mind. When I first saw that pic I thought it was a city in Latin or South America. Best and Recognizable are two different things IMO. His blog is going off of recognizable.

Interested to see what your top 5 recognizable skylines would be.

http://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/best-skylines-in-america-seattle-chicago-and-las-vegas-top-our-list

Here is my top 5:

1. NYC - Of Course - Empire State, Chrysler, One World Trade, and just the sheer density

2. Chicago - Sears Tower, and the lake

3. Seattle - Space needed and Mt St Helen

4. LA - only place you can have palm trees and snow covered mountains in the same pic

I wouldnt even call the Space Needle part of the downtown core in Seattle. It is a tad bit north of the core and zoning restrictions prevent anything tall being built around it. When I lived there they were trying to push legislation to rezone and allow highrise condos/apartments, but I think it was a losing effort. Mt. Rainier is the mountain in all the iconic photos. Always snow capped, great hike. (with a guide)

I like theirs better.

RialtoView8.jpg

1 person likes this

I like theirs better.

RialtoView8.jpg

It kind of reminds me of the Egyptian God Anubis.

2 people like this

I dont care for its spires. They seem more antennas than the spires on our Batman Building which appear more architectural.

Edited by Hey_Hey
1 person likes this

It looks more evil and ant-like than ours.  Ours looks like a 1980s telephone in its charging cradle, which is what it's supposed to look like.  The way it addresses the street is kind of bizarre, but attractive in a weird way. I see the Anubis thing and I've always liked Anubis, but there is something insect like about theirs.

1 person likes this

I dont care for its spires. They seem more antennas than the spires on our Batman Building which appear more architectural.

I agree.  Theirs is the Dark Knight to our more traditional caped crusader. 

2 people like this

Eh, I think the AT&T building is much nicer than that one. 

1 person likes this

You can see where Earl Swenson and Associates got the idea from though.

I would not take this list to mean anything. It's poorly written, and full of cliche's that are not the least bit funny. This person is not a journalist or an architect, and I doubt an academician.

As I said when Thrillist came to Nashville...it's devolved from an interesting source of new restaurants and locations to a wannabe Buzzfeed compilation of clickbait lists.

1 person likes this

Just got back from a week in LA. Drove everywhere. Crazy place. Obligatory skyline photo from Mullholland Drive just below Katy Perry's house!

LA%20from%20Mullholland_zpsbgrem8hk.jpg

Edited by PHofKS
2 people like this

Any pictures of Katy Perry?

Katy%20Perry_zpsjxgkrfxv.jpg

She's probably staring out the window wondering who's that strange person.