Glenwood Place

RALNATIVE

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I predict that retail stands no chance here. It'll be neither true neighborhood in style, nor part of Crabree's conglomeration. The Carolina Country Club neighbors probably don't really want active retail right up against their backyards too. I keep staring at the google map, and see no realistic road improvements that would help here either. $2,000,000 mentioned in the article is probably little more than some extended (self serving) turn lanes, boom signals and curbing. I want to get excited about Crabtree being part of a nice midtown, but it just keeps cluster fu&*ing itself worse and worse from what I can tell. 

Competition with North Hills might not be such a bad thing. It may in fact result in better designs and developments across Raleigh. Take Charlotte for example. It was because of the competition between Bank of America and First Union that Charlotte became the benefactor of the tallest and best designed buildings in that city.

Man, if you could just get Transylvania and Yadkin to connect down to National, you'd have such a better setup. Yadkin crosses the belt line allow people to get in to it without getting on Glenwood. It drives me crazy how much people fight street connectivity around here. I still fee like overall, this project is just a half baked idea using the keywords of the day for some press. 

The updated version of this article says that Carolina Row has been taken off the developers website and that Trademark wasn't returning calls for comment on the new development. I would much rather Carolina Row be developed than this new proposal. Luxury retail stands a chance right across from the mall. This new development near Country Club Hill seems like a pipe dream.

• 5 weeks later...

Carolina Row is still planned; the project is now being led by Lennar. Looks like they are trying to open by Christmas 2016.

I find it interesting that Carolina Row and Glenwood Place are each proposing such similar numbers. The biggest difference is that Glenwood Place includes a substantial office component.

Glenwood Place: 41 acres, 800 apartments, 140,000 square feet of retail, hotel, 900,000 square feet of office.

Carolina Row: 30 acres, 708 apartments, 150,000 square feet of retail, hotel.

300,000 square feet of retail really isn't that much. Crabtree Valley Mall itself is 1.3 million square feet. I think that 300,000 square feet will be easily absorbed. It will however place additional strain on the area's already strained infrastructure, an issue which won't be addressed until the new Crabtree Valley Avenue interchange is built on the beltline.

The site plan is inculded in the rezoning request posted on the City's website. To me, the building marked A.3 is single-story and looks suspiciously like the exact size of a grocery store; I expect it will be either Publix or else possibly a relocated Harris Teeter from the intersection of Glenwood & Oberlin.

My gut says the retail will struggle to be 'high-end' unless it is extremely niche, non mall type stuff....more like Cameron Village type stuff. A relocated Teeter would feel like a big loss to the north Oberlin area even though this is just up the road. A grocery might be key to making this area work...its not the sort of location you just go wandering up into...though just running through an imaginary trip in my head to get 20 bucks worth of groceries seems like it'd be one aggravating trip anytime before 9pm. It's a shame these mixed use sites being proposed are so poorly integrated into the rest of the City. 

Archived