New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

Didn't see this posted, 

http://www.grbj.com/articles/90130-land-swaps-pave-way-for-riverside-park

Chuck Reid, director of MSU’s Land Management Office, said the university intends to use 520 Monroe to expand its own facilities. The lot is adjacent to property owned by MSU on the east side of Monroe.

“We’re basically trying to develop what we call an innovation park,” Reid said. “By acquiring this county lot, it gives us property relatively contiguous to property we own.”

Reid explained the “innovation park” is in the initial planning phase but will be medically related and may or may not involve additional buildings, like a research base.

“For people who work in that neighborhood, it would clearly be a plus,” he said. “It’s really kind of an exciting process to redevelop some of that area for hopefully cutting-edge medical activity.”

5a9d4cfc1d1b9_520Monroe.thumb.JPG.b0b3bb8f94deab95dfbc9c2d8d4bf314.JPG

I also saw that two buildings on Ottawa are slated to be demolished for parking for Kent County employees. 

I believe they are this cluster of mfg buildings near Icon and 601 Bond:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9736468,-85.6701886,3a,75y,311.72h,94.46t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssGTIe6Xleu5NUBtFf7R3Vg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsGTIe6Xleu5NUBtFf7R3Vg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D60.277%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

3 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Didn't see this posted, 

http://www.grbj.com/articles/90130-land-swaps-pave-way-for-riverside-park

Chuck Reid, director of MSU’s Land Management Office, said the university intends to use 520 Monroe to expand its own facilities. The lot is adjacent to property owned by MSU on the east side of Monroe.

“We’re basically trying to develop what we call an innovation park,” Reid said. “By acquiring this county lot, it gives us property relatively contiguous to property we own.”

Reid explained the “innovation park” is in the initial planning phase but will be medically related and may or may not involve additional buildings, like a research base.

“For people who work in that neighborhood, it would clearly be a plus,” he said. “It’s really kind of an exciting process to redevelop some of that area for hopefully cutting-edge medical activity.”

5a9d4cfc1d1b9_520Monroe.thumb.JPG.b0b3bb8f94deab95dfbc9c2d8d4bf314.JPG

I also saw that two buildings on Ottawa are slated to be demolished for parking for Kent County employees. 

I believe they are this cluster of mfg buildings near Icon and 601 Bond:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9736468,-85.6701886,3a,75y,311.72h,94.46t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssGTIe6Xleu5NUBtFf7R3Vg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DsGTIe6Xleu5NUBtFf7R3Vg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D60.277%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The Grand Rapids Forging and Steel building? 

I find it odd that those would be demolished.  I believe this is the Grand Rapids police dept. headquarters for the VICE unit.

The parking lot next to Rockies houses many undercover cars, some seized vehicles, and inside that building you will see blacked out windows and workout equipment.

It has not been manufacturing for years, but a semi secret VICE headquarters.  Would the city give that up for parking?

1 hour ago, EastownLeo said:

I find it odd that those would be demolished.  I believe this is the Grand Rapids police dept. headquarters for the VICE unit.

The parking lot next to Rockies houses many undercover cars, some seized vehicles, and inside that building you will see blacked out windows and workout equipment.

It has not been manufacturing for years, but a semi secret VICE headquarters.  Would the city give that up for parking?

Well, now that you've spilled the beans they're going to have to move.  I smell a conspiracy.  Did Russian hackers provide this information to you?

19 minutes ago, wingbert said:

Well, now that you've spilled the beans they're going to have to move.  I smell a conspiracy.  Did Russian hackers provide this information to you?

Ha seeing police cars drive into the garage, looking int the window seeing uniformed individuals, seeing workout equipment and seeing teams load into regular looking vans.  Didn't take much to put 2 and 2 together.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Since the county is selling their land to MSU, they need to replace it for parking. I assume that's what's driving this. And you're right, those buildings are owned by the city of Grand Rapids, not mfg. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 5:05 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Update on 601 Bond. Is it just me or is it weird that 601 Bond is the same number as 601 LMD?  Also, they're apparently slowly transitioning Icon on Bond to condos. I've seen several listed recently. 

Wasn't Icon on Bond originally built as condos, which largely failed to sell?

2 hours ago, getemngo said:

Wasn't Icon on Bond originally built as condos, which largely failed to sell?

Yes, it was pre-sold as condos back in the day when you needed 50% pre-sold to start construction. Never even got close. Ended up being built as apartments. Now apparently switching to condos. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, wingbert said:

As long as there's space to build horizontal we apparently won't be seeing anything go too vertical.

I think we could all stand to take a deep breath and appreciate that Grand Rapids is growing projects still at a break-neck pace. :P 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I think we could all stand to take a deep breath and appreciate that Grand Rapids is growing projects still at a break-neck pace. :P 

Totally agree. I’ve visited plenty of cities with more height than Grand Rapids, but absolutely not a vibrant downtown. I’m happy with all of the infill. 

Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I heard a rumor that one of the developers in town was already looking at purchasing that building and turning it into a new mixed-use development. Also had plans for the adjacent parking lot.

Edited by Pattmost20

On 4/12/2018 at 7:52 PM, GRDadof3 said:

No disagreement here.  Just pointing out that as long as there's room to grow without the constraints that drive most skyscraper designs in large cities, there shouldn't be too much hope for too tall a structure in the near future (ie: the disappointment over the rumored nearly 30 floor haircut on the Hinman tower).

Edited by wingbert

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

And six stories to go. I think it looks pretty good so far!

Other than the "bricks" being in a stacked pattern instead of a brick pattern, I really don't think most people would know that those are pre-made masonry panels. 

In other MN news, the new restaurant Linear will open mid may, according to a guy working there when I walked by.

20180426_131046.thumb.jpg.8e30017f693cc5b6d0a675fd4ec10e18.jpg 

• Like 2