New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

15 hours ago, tSlater said:

They're going to kill the whole event in the process.

"Just trust us." 

http://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/why-gr-outdoor-movies-are-moving-to-parking-lot/1185612916

They should have announced that they were going to make some enhancements to that parking lot, released the drawings, and THEN made the announcement that the movies were being moved there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

"Just trust us." 

http://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/why-gr-outdoor-movies-are-moving-to-parking-lot/1185612916

They should have announced that they were going to make some enhancements to that parking lot, released the drawings, and THEN made the announcement that the movies were being moved there. 

Right! I'm sure it will be interesting but why the mystery and coverup? Just announce the reasoning and debut the plans. #cabal

I can only imagine that they will likely truck in a bunch of turf and roll it over a modest portion of the parking lot on some platform made of wood. Like something made of pallets, or whatever.

They dont really have any time to do anything else. Honestly, it is a tremendous waste of money to even do that when you have a perfectly good plot of actual natural grass by the museum.

If they really needed to "activate" this space as part of a contractual agreement, then why didnt they just build a skateboard park there?

Edited by GR_Urbanist

50 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

If they really needed to "activate" this space as part of a contractual agreement, then why didnt they just build a skateboard park there?

The lot is too far gone for that, they'd have to re-pave. Maybe a food truck meet-up spot or something else with minimal investment. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoeks said:

Downtown GR Inc posted this on their Instagram.   Appears to be a “To Do” list for movies in the park.

DDC0B847-C59E-44F3-87D8-3544668B421E.png

They forgot "Build 20 foot sound-dampening/privacy fence to block out I-196 traffic sounds and MDOT massive construction site debris" and "Dismantle DGRI as it has become like a clown college."  :rofl:

They're getting slaughtered on their "sponsored post" on Facebook for Movies on Monroe. 

Whatever, moving on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Prankster said:

It seems like they are reading from a manual on how to make a “cool city”, and are forcing it to happen. But what they are failing to understand is by doing that, it comes across as contrived and cheap. 

Not that you're wrong, but it's funny that this same level of disappointment and ridicule isn't being leveled at the manufacturing of a fake downtown in Ada.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wingbert said:

Not that you're wrong, but it's funny that this same level of disappointment and ridicule isn't being leveled at the manufacturing of a fake downtown in Ada.

Not even close to a fair comparison. Empty parking lot getting a paint job and some sod vs. a pretty meticulously planned multi-block redevelopment with solid architecture and reclaiming the riverfront. Nope. 

And honestly, it’s free movies in a park (or parking lot). Seems like people are making a pretty big deal out of something that really isn’t that big of a deal. 

Joe

• Like 2

10 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Not even close to a fair comparison. Empty parking lot getting a paint job and some sod vs. a pretty meticulously planned multi-block redevelopment with solid architecture and reclaiming the riverfront. Nope. 

And honestly, it’s free movies in a park (or parking lot). Seems like people are making a pretty big deal out of something that really isn’t that big of a deal. 

Joe

Nah, it seems pretty fair.  The point was about change feeling forced.  The scope of the project and the meticulousness of the planning is irrelevant.   

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wingbert said:

-People are ridiculing Movies on Monroe because what was a successful program (Movies at the Park) became a casualty of city politics and now it couldn't be more obvious they're just putting lipstick on a pig.

-People are not ridiculing Downtown Ada because so far it's been well-planned, well-constructed, and looks nice.

Does that help?

Edited by RegalTDP
  • Like 2

Actually, people are ridiculing downtown Ada.  I hear it all the time.    

1 hour ago, RegalTDP said:

-People are ridiculing Movies on Monroe because what was a successful program (Movies at the Park) (Ada was fine before.  Was it Saugatuck or Rockford?  No, but nobody was complaining.) became a casualty of city politics  (Ada became a casualty of Amway politics) and now it couldn't be more obvious they're just putting lipstick on a pig. (it couldn't be more obvious that Ada is being gerrymandered into somebody's vision of quaint white bread mainstreet USA in order to satisfy the vision of a few individuals with deep pockets.  What's happening in Ada isn't organic building and growth to meet the demand of the community.  It's all fake news)

-People are not ridiculing Downtown Ada because so far it's been well-planned, well-constructed, and looks nice. (Actually, people are ridiculing Ada.  I hear it all the time.  People know what's up.  Many people are resigned to it because when the big bucks starting getting thrown around it became a fait accompli.  I'm sure the Movies in the Park people feel they've got a good plan too.  What makes your opinion more important that theirs?)  

Does that help?  (Ha! funny.  Look, Ada will be fine.  I'm not here to beat a dead horse.  However, change is change and just because you fanboy over one change and hate on another doesn't make one right and one wrong.)

1 hour ago, wingbert said:

Actually, people are ridiculing downtown Ada.  I hear it all the time.    

You just posted yesterday that people weren't ridiculing it and expressed bewilderment over that. 

I'm not here to beat a dead horse. 

Your entire post was beating a dead horse.

Edited by RegalTDP

17 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I love this photo not just because it's showing progress and looks all summery,  but hopefully it will end this boring ass discussion about movies in the parking lot that's been happening all week. 

Omg thank you for saying that! Haha There are no words for how happy I was to go to this thread and see the update was something other than that convo! And it is a great photo too! 

• Like 2

Great photo. And the building still has 5 stories to go! 

When driving on 196 east, it’s really starting to separate itself from other buildings in the area. Maybe the city should woo more REITs to the area. This group has been relatively quiet, with little fanfare, yet  gets stuff done. :) I hope they do well and decide to use the property they own on the other side of Bond. 

Joe

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MJLO said:

I love this photo not just because it's showing progress and looks all summery,  but hopefully it will end this boring ass discussion about movies in the parking lot that's been happening all week. 

Hear hear. 

And 601 Bond has 5 more floors to be added. 

bond-apartments-grand-rapids-mi-primary-

I noticed today that the residential portion cuts in on the backside, similar to Icon on Bond, into a bit of a courtyard feel.  I don't remember noticing that on the floorplans. 

41 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

Great photo. And the building still has 5 stories to go! 

When driving on 196 east, it’s really starting to separate itself from other buildings in the area. Maybe the city should woo more REITs to the area. This group has been relatively quiet, with little fanfare, yet  gets stuff done. :) I hope they do well and decide to use the property they own on the other side of Bond. 

Joe

I completely agree, this building really sticks out and makes a presence from the highway.  Looking forward to seeing how this neighborhood evolves in the next few years.