GRDadof3

New projects in Monroe North

On Downtown Grand Rapids Inc Facebook page they had mentioned the possibility of having broomball, hockey and other activities on the Monroe north ice rink. 

4 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I agree. I have heard from countless people that have gone to RPC and either wait an insane amount of time OR leave because it was so busy. It's actually really great there will be another one. 

When the girls and I used to skate a lot at RPC, we never waited to get skates or get on the ice on weekends. Maybe it's gotten busier? It's been a few years. I'd much rather skate at RPC personally. 

Growing up in Lansing we'd clear snow off of gravel pit lakes and skate to our heart's content. There was one park on Washington (?) that was good for skating and picking up girls. Trying to pick up girls. :P

12 hours ago, jonrapley said:

On Downtown Grand Rapids Inc Facebook page they had mentioned the possibility of having broomball, hockey and other activities on the Monroe north ice rink. 

The Monroe North rink reminds me of one they tried doing in Heardside park a couple of years ago, unfortunately that one fell victim to a warm-ish winter and was closed more than open. I think the Monroe North one, with it's more DIY vibe, will encourage people to linger longer and maybe increase participation. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

So they'll have two rinks this year? I know they have to keep that lot "activated" as a "park" but it seems a bit duplicative.

There is plenty of demand to support this;  and the residential density of Monroe North is soaring, and it is on frequent all-week transit.

This makes perfect sense to me.  Rosa Parks Circle is desperately over-subscribed as a venue / destination.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, discgrab21 said:

I know the GRSSC does broomball at RPC.  Maybe they will move over to the Monroe North lot?

Broomball at Rpc is a mess though. Ball is always going through the railing.

Anyone else play in that league?

Edited by ironyisadeadscene

9 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Anyone else play in that league

I played Broomball last year in that league. The game is a lot of fun, but yes the ball kept on going through the railings.

38 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Maybe you recognize me hahaha

FB_IMG_1542459728838.jpg

That's crazy, that's my blue team! I was the keeper you were shooting on in that pic! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jonrapley said:

That's crazy, that's my blue team! I was the keeper you were shooting on in that pic! 

I am pretty sure I talked to you (because I talk alot) I also play goal in hockey so I like talking to goalies. Like a shared brotherhood kinda thing

Edited by ironyisadeadscene
  • Like 1