New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

I've come to the conclusion that I prefer Integrated's work, with regard to these apartment/condo proposals, over everyone else locally.  It's going to be interesting to see how many of these projects come to fruition. 

To me it looks an awful lot like the LMD & Seward project (Cherry St Capital), which was done by IA. 

15969885309_82183efd91_b.jpg

I've come to the conclusion that I prefer Integrated's work, with regard to these apartment/condo proposals, over everyone else locally.  It's going to be interesting to see how many of these projects come to fruition. 

Architecturally speaking, I hope not many.  I really don't like their work when they don't have a leash around their neck.  

Architecturally speaking, I hope not many.  I really don't like their work when they don't have a leash around their neck.  

I'm shocked!  There's so many renderings you rave and give accolades for!  Why mix up your opinion now :D

Edited by MJLO
  • Like 1

To me it looks an awful lot like the LMD & Seward project (Cherry St Capital), which was done by IA. 

15969885309_82183efd91_b.jpg

I don't know... The IA sketch seems to show a more texture and depth on the facade.  The Progressive design, IMO seems more flat, and appears like Intermodal containers stacked on each other.  Now, in the end, it's very possible that these IA designs will get value engineered, as most projects seem to these days. Now that I think of it,  I guess we haven't actually seen much of the AI stuff built yet.  Cherry Street Capital's projects seem to be stalled, and IA was fired from the Eastown Flat project in favor of Concept Design.

Do you like any local work?

Edited by mpchicago

X99 doesn't like anything (except complaining about not liking anything. haha). ;) 

Overall, I like the design. Not a big fan of the fish though. For some reason, reminds me of the cheesy "sculptures" outside of the Van Andel arena. Looked so-so when it was built, looks terribly out of date now. Wonder if those fish will stand the test of time. :)

I also wonder if this design is at all 'final'. It kind of sounds like they are throwing out a design to test the waters with the city (setbacks, etc).  

Joe

This article about the project states that panels with art on them are required on a parking structure on the river. Interesting.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2015/10/riverfront_apartments_proposed.html

So they're probably just a "representation" of some kind of art on panels, probably not the final look. 

Edited by GRDadof3
  • Like 1

stalled, and IA was fired from the Eastown Flat project in favor of Concept Design.

Do you like any local work?

Some.  GVSU generally has done a good job (albeit not designed by a local firm).  The Cherry Capital project was looking pretty good by the time Integrated had been reined in from their initial whackjobbery.   Even the Monroe Center ramp is an urban masterwork compared to the glowering, expressionless, bunker-like facades of GRAM across the street.  But projects like GVSU and Cherry Street are an exception.  A thoroughly confused Integrated Architecture had to be dragged to the table of good taste by a bunch of neighborhood activists for Cherry.  :huh:  Everyone wants to be their own mini-starchitect, more bold/outrageous/trendy than the last guy.  Whether the building is beautiful and designed to age gracefully in an urban environment is given short shrift.  Big hair and mullets are enshrined in brick and mortar for the ages.  GVSU and the Cherry street project (if built), to their credit, should age quite nicely.  Ah well, i'll go pack my one-note band back into the van now... 

Edited by x99

So you are talking specifically about the Seidman College of Business.  IMO I think the rest of the Pew Campus was well designed too, and that was by the defunct local firm Design+.

I wasn't aware Design+ had done that, but I would agree.  They are nicely done as well.  Robert A.M. Stern did the Seidman College. Nice buildings that draw on Grand Rapids' own rich architectural heritage.  

There's more to my critique than just "I don't like it."  I don't want to see us build another generation of trend-of-the-moment eyesores that will be torn to the ground in 30-40 years not because they are outmoded, but because they are obnoxious.  All the LEED credits in the world can't fix that sort of waste.  Beautiful buildings can last for ages.  Garish ones typically don't.  Maybe this one is restrained enough to be respectable in 40 years, even if it won't be very highly regarded.  We'll see.  

• Like 2

I wasn't aware Design+ had done that, but I would agree.  They are nicely done as well.  Robert A.M. Stern did the Seidman College. Nice buildings that draw on Grand Rapids' own rich architectural heritage.  

There's more to my critique than just "I don't like it."  I don't want to see us build another generation of trend-of-the-moment eyesores that will be torn to the ground in 30-40 years not because they are outmoded, but because they are obnoxious.  All the LEED credits in the world can't fix that sort of waste.  Beautiful buildings can last for ages.  Garish ones typically don't.  Maybe this one is restrained enough to be respectable in 40 years, even if it won't be very highly regarded.  We'll see.  

I agree with you on a lot of points (though I think the top of the Seidman building is odd, like they added to it for signage on an otherwise classic building). The one thing I will say is that having traveled to a lot of cities known for their great architecture, everything isn't great, and some of it is pretty horrible. I'm not saying we should settle for awful or mediocre, but some of these buildings serve a bigger purpose in that they are helping to establish a true 24 hour city. And I'll give up a little bit for that. I would like a few iconic buildings here and there though. :)

Joe

Well here we go... public hearing Oct 22nd. 

d) 2:00 - 1001 Monroe Avenue NW (Special Land Use) (PC-SLU-2015-0085)

The request of 1001 Monroe LLC (Ryan Wheeler) for waivers associated with the construction of a parking structure in a proposed mixed-use building.  A waiver is requested to reduce the minimum required ground-floor active use dimension on the Monroe-facing building side and the minimum transparency on the river-facing building side.  The Planning Commission will also consider the ground-floor façade treatment on the river-facing side of the parking structure.  This request will be evaluated by the Planning Commission for compliance with the standards contained in Article 6 and Sections 5.8.03., 5.9.17., 5.9.23., 5.10.05., 5.12.08. and 5.12.12. of the Zoning Ordinance.

22026953876_9a0fa679d5_b.jpg

I think what they were going for is what I would call a "terraced module" type of construction. Maybe even each section pre-built and stacked on top of one another? I've seen it before and actually posted it on UP a few years ago as an idea for another riverfront parcel, but I can't find the source of where I saw it. Somewhere in Europe. Maybe they were lurking here and borrowed the idea..

Edited by GRDadof3

Hi all. New to UP but have popped in from time to time for updates on some of the bigger projects around town. Thought now would be a good time to say hello and tell everyone about my wife's business at 820 Monroe.

http://www.grbj.com/articles/83643-fido-stitch-finds-home-on-n-monroe

looking at just before thanksgiving now for a grand opening!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...