New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

17 hours ago, elcelc said:

And let's solve that parking problem in back of the new hotel...

20180508_132018.thumb.jpg.101a810adf5f5c013cb3a0e233418c22.jpg20180508_132139.thumb.jpg.fd23fe5be309bc340e1653797f6a7fbb.jpg

I saw that last week. That's quite an interesting jigsaw puzzle of pre-cast panels.  I think all of those pieces are also laying out in the yard at Kerkstra Precast (along with the premade brick panels going on 601 Bond). Both Pioneer projects. 

44 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I saw that last week. That's quite an interesting jigsaw puzzle of pre-cast panels.  I think all of those pieces are also laying out in the yard at Kerkstra Precast (along with the premade brick panels going on 601 Bond). Both Pioneer projects. 

It's been very interesting to watch.  I literally look at the build of this everyday at work.  It is quite a puzzle!

6 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

https://www.grar.com/property/mls/18018676

Looks like someone doesn't want to look into the parking garage at 601 Bond St or have them look down into their glass rooftop patio. 

"What?  You're going to complain about my new building blocking your view?  Here, let me cantilever some more concrete your way.  See how you like it now."20180509_150831.thumb.jpg.fe23db9bd1eef5a3568a72ca4db131a1.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

https://www.grar.com/property/mls/18018676

Looks like someone doesn't want to look into the parking garage at 601 Bond St or have them look down into their glass rooftop patio. 

That's actually a really sweet pad for $389,000.  It's not like it's facing directly East at 601 Bond, it mostly faces South toward downtown. 

Honestly I can imagine if you have enjoyed unencumbered views to the East for all of these years that it would be a shocker, but looking at the space now having never lived there, in comparison to other downtown properties, $389,000 is a good deal for a really incredible downtown condo. 3 friggin floors. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's actually a really sweet pad for $389,000.  It's not like it's facing directly East at 601 Bond, it mostly faces South toward downtown. 

Honestly I can imagine if you have enjoyed unencumbered views to the East for all of these years that it would be a shocker, but looking at the space now having never lived there, in comparison to other downtown properties, $389,000 is a good deal for a really incredible downtown condo. 3 friggin floors. 

I agree it's a good deal but like you said, I can imagine form the seller's perspective having unencumbered views to the East for all of those years and no one 'above' you and now that's all changed. 

6 hours ago, WMrapids said:

So “Movies in the Park” just became “Movies on Monroe” and will be held in the parking lot next to 196 (555 Monroe).

What a really strange (and dumb) idea. They want to do it at the land they own now on Monroe to get a feel for how they'll use the space in the future? It won't be a parking lot in the future. How they use the space will totally change when it's turned into parkland.  #nimrods

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/entertainment/events/grand-rapids-movies-in-the-park-becomes-movies-on-monroe/69-552446272

I've never been to this, but just driving through DT the past hour, the weather and warmth would have made laying in the grass next to the river, and watching a movie after dinner on Bridge St., seem like the perfect activity.

This spot? I just dont know. You are sandwiched between (almost under) highway construction with a power substation to your back, and a parking lot across the street.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

What a really strange (and dumb) idea. They want to do it at the land they own now on Monroe to get a feel for how they'll use the space in the future? It won't be a parking lot in the future. How they use the space will totally change when it's turned into parkland.  #nimrods

https://www.wzzm13.com/article/entertainment/events/grand-rapids-movies-in-the-park-becomes-movies-on-monroe/69-552446272

I get the idea of wanting to see how the space might be used but why not wait until then?  #missedopportunity

20 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I get the idea of wanting to see how the space might be used but why not wait until then?  #missedopportunity

I guess DGRI plans on 'greening up' the parking lot as a favor to the city ... http://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/why-gr-outdoor-movies-are-moving-to-parking-lot/1185612916

Edited by thebeerqueer

14 minutes ago, gvsusean said:

Ill check it out, but i almost certain that whatever they do it wont be good enough...

Putting plants and murals in there doesn't change the fact that it's a crumbling parking lot. I fully expect attendance to plummet from this move. It would have been fine if they had converted this to parkland and then moved it. This move was just poorly thought out.

1 hour ago, GRLaker said:

Putting plants and murals in there doesn't change the fact that it's a crumbling parking lot. I fully expect attendance to plummet from this move. It would have been fine if they had converted this to parkland and then moved it. This move was just poorly thought out.

I fully agree. First movie is June 8th, so let's see what they can do in three weeks. 

1 hour ago, wingbert said:

I don't know...  Free movie, BYOB, I think the sheeple will migrate to it.  It will be a good test to see how much I196 creates a disconnect between Monroe North and the rest of downtown.  It's a long walk from Hopcat.  Maybe Atwater will benefit.

Speak EZ across the street, short walk from City Built, The Garage, Rocky's, Zoko, and Gray Skies.

• Like 3