New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

5 hours ago, ZAP! said:

Can we not bring drama across threads please? Christ above.

We please ask that you not bring religion into these discussions. :rofl:

7 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I agree, why can't there be an affordable way to screen those wonky levels?  Some sort of mesh that helps blend the layers of said cake. 

I doesn't even have to be mesh. If just the vertical elements lined up with each other, it'd look a lot better. It's almost as if one person is working on the drawings for the parking level, and another person is working on the rest, and they don't show each other what they have until they're just about finished. Then they plop the CAD drawing of the building on the parking level. :P "As long as the mechanical thingies line up, we don't cares about the rest of that fancy schmancy stuff." hiccup. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think they definitely could have done a better job integrating the parking with the rest of the structure, but I'm hoping future development of MSU will block the view. While it's not the prettiest first 5 floors, I'm really excited to see if it's a catalyst for the area. A lot of great opportunities for redevelopment on Bond and Trowbridge.

Joe

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Anyone know the floor count now? I'm really amazed at how tall it's looking, probably because it dwarfs anything around it. Kind of funny/sad that it's the tallest building being built near downtown right now. :P 

I think they are pooring floor 14 or 15 right now. The Warner Tower is taller than 601 Bond, isn't it? When you are downtown, it's interesting to see all of the different vantage points where the Warner Tower will be visible. 

Joe

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

I think they are pooring floor 14 or 15 right now. The Warner Tower is taller than 601 Bond, isn't it? When you are downtown, it's interesting to see all of the different vantage points where the Warner Tower will be visible. 

Joe

I think Warner Tower is about 192 ft., with 15 floors, and 601 Bond is 172 ft., with 16 floors.    Warner's height will be between Kent County Court House, which happens to be across the street (206 ft), and the PNC Bank building (185) feet.  601 Bond will be about 8 feet shorter than 77 Monroe Center (MNB Building)   Modern office floors are taller than those in an apartment or condo buildings, which gives Warner the edge in height over 601 Bond.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 10:11 AM, thebeerqueer said:

My thoughts too! Like a weird hovercraft toy.

I found it online, it's called a ride-on concrete trowel. Gives that extra fine polished look. :) 

https://www.concretedecor.net/decorativeconcretearticles/vol-15-no-4-may-june-2015/concrete-placement-part-1-of-3/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 9:34 AM, KCLBADave said:

Those homes/condos on Look Out Hill in Belknap really stand out.  You can see em clearly as you come into town from the north.  I heard they are selling fast too.

Yes they really do stand out, whoever ends up getting these units will have one of the best views of the city (IMO).

They are even more imposing when you drive by them on Fairview, they dwarf the houses in the vicinity. I could see the rest of the bluff side of Fairview getting developed with housing similar to this to take advantage of the views.

Where Trowbridge dead ends up on the hill there is an empty lot with plans for a 3400 ft^2 house listed on Zillow for 1.2 million. (https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/23805154_zpid/42.977042,-85.664403,42.972768,-85.669751_rect/17_zm/) I love the description about it being a 'Tony Stark' residence, maybe if there was a cave built into the bluff for a superhero's secret lair one could justify the price tag.

8 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I went by this project the other day and thought that we must be close to topping out? Anyone do the count lately? And the top floor is recessed on the South end I believe. 

bond-apartments-grand-rapids-mi-primary-

Just a guess, but I think they may be working on the final floor. The spacing of the supports looked different than other floors. 

Joe

14 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Just a guess, but I think they may be working on the final floor. The spacing of the supports looked different than other floors. 

Joe

I think you're right Joe. I count 10 residential floors in my picture from the other day and they're now adding the 11th  in the most recent pictures. 

3 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Yep, and notice that it's one support beam short of a full floor. This must be the top (recessed) floor.

Joe

I'm really impressed at how tall it looks as you're coming into downtown from the North on 131, mainly because there's nothing else around it. Pretty bold move by the (New York based) developers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm really impressed at how tall it looks as you're coming into downtown from the North on 131, mainly because there's nothing else around it. Pretty bold move by the (New York based) developers. 

They have a lot next door. I hope this is a success and they build something on that lot too. They seemed to just "do it". No fuss. 

Joe

4 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

They have a lot next door. I hope this is a success and they build something on that lot too. They seemed to just "do it". No fuss. 

Joe

The little lot on the corner? 

I wish CWD would shit or get off the pot with that big warehouse behind 601 Bond. 

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The little lot on the corner? 

I wish CWD would shit or get off the pot with that big warehouse behind 601 Bond. 

Yeah. It's seems little, but it's not much smaller than 10 Ionia (it's approximately 100ft x 200ft). Is that enough space to go vertical? And they have parking built in across the street. :)

Joe