New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, CHGRMI said:

Nice pic!  Can't believe how different this same shot would look if taken 15 years ago.

I go to the roof all the time, and today I looked at that project, and verbally exclaimed how that building stands out and changes that area alot. I realized I was talking to myself so I stopped, but you get the idea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So the project on the riverfront that has Linear on the first floor is going condo. I think it's great to have another condo option downtown. Union Square, Boardwalk, Riverhouse et al are getting a bit tired for potential buyers. :)  Also mentions that you can get room service from Linear...

https://www.grar.com/query/14131318/0

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, mpchicago said:

The Grand Rapids Business Journal is reporting that Ann Arbor-based, Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea,  will be a tenant in the new 601 Bond Apartment building.   They have 17 shops around the country.

https://sweetwaterscafe.com/

Nice. I’m surprised at how their locations are far spread across the country. Not really clustered in any one area. 

Joe

20 hours ago, mjak68 said:

Anyone else walk by and be struck by the scale of 601 Bond compared to Monroe Terrace condos?

Dunno, it is exactly twice the height of the other condo, and a bit narrower.   Feels like incremental infill to me.  And 1/3 - 1/2 of the thing is parking.

21 hours ago, mjak68 said:

From the Fishladder.  

Can’t believe the transformation of this cityscape.  

581604B6-1735-40BF-8838-510FF7FCAE76.jpeg

Love this last one. Imagine when the rapids are put back in and even more people are enjoying it (kayakers mainly).

Embassy Suites is supposedly opening in March 2019, from their Facebook I believe I saw it. 

• Like 1

I really like the look of 601, I just wish they had put glass in the parking structure.  I'm assuming that the very top section is mechanical, but is the floor below it going to be a penthouse?

The hotel is coming along nicely too.  Fences are down, sidewalk and curb are being poured, 6th streets almost done too.

It will be nice to have more people in this area, hopefully these spur more development.

3 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I really like the look of 601, I just wish they had put glass in the parking structure.  I'm assuming that the very top section is mechanical, but is the floor below it going to be a penthouse?

The hotel is coming along nicely too.  Fences are down, sidewalk and curb are being poured, 6th streets almost done too.

It will be nice to have more people in this area, hopefully these spur more development.

I think the top level has apartments and an outdoor patio for residents. 

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

So I see they're putting in an ice-skating rink at the Monroe North lot where the movies were held. Anyone know if they are ditching RPC ice skating then? 

Nope they're all set up and scheduled for Rosa Park Circle. Just walked through today and I've seen DGRI posting about the rink open at RPC soon. 

30 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Nope they're all set up and scheduled for Rosa Park Circle. Just walked through today and I've seen DGRI posting about the rink open at RPC soon. 

So they'll have two rinks this year? I know they have to keep that lot "activated" as a "park" but it seems a bit duplicative. 

4 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

There are huge waits for skating at Rosa Parks on the weekends. Plus if Montreal can support 275 outdoor ice rinks, we can support 2.

I agree. I have heard from countless people that have gone to RPC and either wait an insane amount of time OR leave because it was so busy. It's actually really great there will be another one. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2018 at 5:28 PM, Pattmost20 said:

There are huge waits for skating at Rosa Parks on the weekends. Plus if Montreal can support 275 outdoor ice rinks, we can support 2.

Another old man story coming up:

When I was growing up there were at least a dozen rinks in Grand Rapids spread out around town.  All of them bigger than that dinky little rink at Rosa Parks.  The city parks department would build them in selected parks so there was one close enough for anyone to walk to.  Usually they just flooded the softball fields and added temporary lights.   

We used to go over to the rink at Aberdeen Park right after school and play hockey for about an hour and a half until the park attendants showed up for work and kicked us out.  Hockey wasn’t allowed.  We’d go home for supper then go back and just skate.  Good place to pick up girls when you were in junior high or to smoke out behind the park building. 

Not sure when I did homework.  Maybe that’s one reason I didn’t do too well in school.  

Edited by walker
  • Like 2

This old man  skated at the rink on the tennis courts (long gone) at Kent Hills School. You know, sometimes I think those days were not so bad. My buddies and I didn't even think about smoking. (Although there were guys like you at the Kent Hills rink:)). And then there was black and white tv's with stations that went off the air at midnight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I agree. I have heard from countless people that have gone to RPC and either wait an insane amount of time OR leave because it was so busy. It's actually really great there will be another one. 

When the girls and I used to skate a lot at RPC, we never waited to get skates or get on the ice on weekends. Maybe it's gotten busier? It's been a few years. I'd much rather skate at RPC personally. 

Growing up in Lansing we'd clear snow off of gravel pit lakes and skate to our heart's content. There was one park on Washington (?) that was good for skating and picking up girls. Trying to pick up girls. :P