Jump to content

GRDadof3

New projects in Monroe North

Recommended Posts

On Downtown Grand Rapids Inc Facebook page they had mentioned the possibility of having broomball, hockey and other activities on the Monroe north ice rink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

I agree. I have heard from countless people that have gone to RPC and either wait an insane amount of time OR leave because it was so busy. It's actually really great there will be another one. 

When the girls and I used to skate a lot at RPC, we never waited to get skates or get on the ice on weekends. Maybe it's gotten busier? It's been a few years. I'd much rather skate at RPC personally. 

Growing up in Lansing we'd clear snow off of gravel pit lakes and skate to our heart's content. There was one park on Washington (?) that was good for skating and picking up girls. Trying to pick up girls. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jonrapley said:

On Downtown Grand Rapids Inc Facebook page they had mentioned the possibility of having broomball, hockey and other activities on the Monroe north ice rink. 

The Monroe North rink reminds me of one they tried doing in Heardside park a couple of years ago, unfortunately that one fell victim to a warm-ish winter and was closed more than open. I think the Monroe North one, with it's more DIY vibe, will encourage people to linger longer and maybe increase participation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

So they'll have two rinks this year? I know they have to keep that lot "activated" as a "park" but it seems a bit duplicative.

There is plenty of demand to support this;  and the residential density of Monroe North is soaring, and it is on frequent all-week transit.

This makes perfect sense to me.  Rosa Parks Circle is desperately over-subscribed as a venue / destination.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, discgrab21 said:

I know the GRSSC does broomball at RPC.  Maybe they will move over to the Monroe North lot?

Broomball at Rpc is a mess though. Ball is always going through the railing.

 

Anyone else play in that league?

Edited by ironyisadeadscene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Anyone else play in that league

I played Broomball last year in that league. The game is a lot of fun, but yes the ball kept on going through the railings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ironyisadeadscene said:

Maybe you recognize me hahaha

FB_IMG_1542459728838.jpg

That's crazy, that's my blue team! I was the keeper you were shooting on in that pic! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jonrapley said:

That's crazy, that's my blue team! I was the keeper you were shooting on in that pic! 

I am pretty sure I talked to you (because I talk alot) I also play goal in hockey so I like talking to goalies. Like a shared brotherhood kinda thing

Edited by ironyisadeadscene
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone noticed the progress on Embassy Suites? they're adding a lot of glass "railings", entryways, etc. I really like the street level, it's much more interesting than I pictured from the renderings. 

Also, don't know if this will be a permanent lighting element, but each balcony is lit. It's pretty cool when they are all lit. The only concern I have about that is I used to work at the Brassworks Building, and a lot of bugs hatch in the river. In turn, there are some NASTY spiders. :) Don't know if the balconies will be fun to sit on at certain times of the year (especially May).

Joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2018 at 8:50 AM, joeDowntown said:

Has anyone noticed the progress on Embassy Suites? they're adding a lot of glass "railings", entryways, etc. I really like the street level, it's much more interesting than I pictured from the renderings. 

Also, don't know if this will be a permanent lighting element, but each balcony is lit. It's pretty cool when they are all lit. The only concern I have about that is I used to work at the Brassworks Building, and a lot of bugs hatch in the river. In turn, there are some NASTY spiders. :) Don't know if the balconies will be fun to sit on at certain times of the year (especially May).

Joe

I noticed all of the balcony lights on the other day too and thought immediately about summer bugs. I would imagine that the lights would be controlled by each room and the street is well lit, the lights might not be on all that much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Embassy Suites is wrapping up. I'm not a huge fan of some of the finishes to be honest, but this project feels ginormous on this stretch of Monroe. 

20190301_162302.thumb.jpg.c261f177651e63b97c9ed78e84668ca7.jpg

 

20190301_102611.thumb.jpg.a71c9df09369ec0de82cf291322db988.jpg 

Also, J Reardons has gutted their space  in the Boardwalk and opening it up more and brightening it up. I hear the "brooding man cave" feel will be totally gone. I get my haircut down the hall so I'll keep y'all updated.

20190228_135931.thumb.jpg.67595a9eadfee617012ad90ac3fbb612.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really kind of like the new hotel.  The porte-cochere is nice and it has some nice looking lighting.  It will be great to have that many people in NOMo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jonrapley said:

I don't like the back of the building, it has a very unfinished look. The front however is quite unique.

I assume they expect the lot behind it to fill in at some point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jonrapley said:

I don't like the back of the building, it has a very unfinished look. The front however is quite unique.

The back of the building is quite ugly.  It kind of makes Bond feel like an alley more than a street.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Floyd_Z said:

The back of the building is quite ugly.  It kind of makes Bond feel like an alley more than a street.

This is what I get as well.

 

I hope to see future N. Monroe development start to actually take place away from just the parts that immediately face the river, so that Bond and Ottawa arent relegated to just the status of de facto service roads with nothing but a bunch of parking lots, trash bins, HVAC boxes and blank exteriors fronting much of it.

 

Obviously the long history of the area as an industrial district will take time to change over to something completely new. I just hope the guidance from the city is towards the area being a district of multiple "main streets", and not just N. Monroe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GR_Urbanist said:

This is what I get as well.

 

I hope to see future N. Monroe development start to actually take place away from just the parts that immediately face the river, so that Bond and Ottawa arent relegated to just the status of de facto service roads with nothing but a bunch of parking lots, trash bins, HVAC boxes and blank exteriors fronting much of it.

 

Obviously the long history of the area as an industrial district will take time to change over to something completely new. I just hope the guidance from the city is towards the area being a district of multiple "main streets", and not just N. Monroe.

I think Ottawa and Monroe will continue to be the "main streets" and Bond will probably always have a service drive feel to it, unfortunately. I don't foresee Gill Industries being wooed away any time soon. My estimation is in the next five years all of those body shops along Ottawa will be taken over by restaurants, bars, small scale residential, etc.. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I think Ottawa and Monroe will continue to be the "main streets" and Bond will probably always have a service drive feel to it, unfortunately. I don't foresee Gill Industries being wooed away any time soon. My estimation is in the next five years all of those body shops along Ottawa will be taken over by restaurants, bars, small scale residential, etc.. 

I agree that most of the smaller parcels will start to become developed.  I think it might be at least 10 years until we see those bigger industrial properties sold, barring some huge boom in the area.  Autodie is absolutely massive.  It would take a pretty significant offer for them to justify moving their operations out of DT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I agree that most of the smaller parcels will start to become developed.  I think it might be at least 10 years until we see those bigger industrial properties sold, barring some huge boom in the area.  Autodie is absolutely massive.  It would take a pretty significant offer for them to justify moving their operations out of DT.

The property on Market is being offered up for development and we haven't seen anything recently on that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.