New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

12 minutes ago, Winston1206 said:

Sort of off topic, but anyone know the story behind what's going on at Gray Skies? Sounds like they're renaming? I recall hearing a while back they were being sued over their name?

I know the new name but I won't post about it yet until they make the announcement public. Apparently they had hundreds of choices that the lawyers kept shooting down because some part of the name was too close to some brewery or winery or specific beer, wine, or spirit. They definitely had to be creative!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 8:25 AM, grandrollerz said:

This project from 2017 https://www.belknaplookout.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/June-Development-Notes.pdf looks to finally be taking off. They have begun prepping the lot at Bradford and LAfayette

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T, C738T) using Tapatalk

What one is this again?

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2019 at 9:36 AM, ironyisadeadscene said:

What one is this again?

https://www.bazzani.com/bradford-station

• COMING FALL 2020!
  • A vacant lot at the intersection of Lafayette and Bradford offered a unique opportunity to create housing in a walkable community near the Medical Mile. Bradford station, opening Fall 2020, will provide 23 well-appointed studio and one-bedroom apartments, and one ground floor retail space.
  • The 16,500 SF, all electric building is planned for LEED Zero Carbon and LEED for Homes certification, and will be complaint with the Grand Rapids 2030 District.
  • Bradford Station is located within walking distance to the Medical Mile and the GVSU Health Campus. With secure bicycle storage and an adjacent station for the Rapid Route 11, living without a car is a cost saving, practical, earth friendly option.
  • The Bradford Station apartments will be efficient, consume approximately 50% less energy than a standard new apartment by HERS rating, and allow a carbon neutral lifestyle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grandrollerz said:

• COMING FALL 2020!
  • A vacant lot at the intersection of Lafayette and Bradford offered a unique opportunity to create housing in a walkable community near the Medical Mile. Bradford station, opening Fall 2020, will provide 23 well-appointed studio and one-bedroom apartments, and one ground floor retail space.
  • The 16,500 SF, all electric building is planned for LEED Zero Carbon and LEED for Homes certification, and will be complaint with the Grand Rapids 2030 District.
  • Bradford Station is located within walking distance to the Medical Mile and the GVSU Health Campus. With secure bicycle storage and an adjacent station for the Rapid Route 11, living without a car is a cost saving, practical, earth friendly option.
  • The Bradford Station apartments will be efficient, consume approximately 50% less energy than a standard new apartment by HERS rating, and allow a carbon neutral lifestyle.

Not in Monroe North.  But, still, very cool.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:22 PM, grandrollerz said:

• COMING FALL 2020!

Oof, that's an unfortunate typo. :P

• Like 1

Definitely not Monroe North. I am excited to see some development along Lafayette, the near north side could use a 'corridor' of sorts and I hope this spurs on some more mixed use development. With GVSU expanding north and all the medical mile development, it'd make for a close place for students and hospital employees to live. 

Hopefully the next lot that gets developed is the one kitty-corner from the Bazzani project.

image.thumb.png.fdb5d63e2ef08b78ddc124930324eadf.png

3 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

Definitely not Monroe North. I am excited to see some development along Lafayette, the near north side could use a 'corridor' of sorts and I hope this spurs on some more mixed use development. With GVSU expanding north and all the medical mile development, it'd make for a close place for students and hospital employees to live. 

Hopefully the next lot that gets developed is the one kitty-corner from the Bazzani project.

I have thought the same, but last time I drove by I noticed the building is leaning, not sure how bad it is or if it is a simple fix....

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 3.38.30 PM.png

Edited by ctpgr34

4 hours ago, mielsonwheels said:

I would think we'd be getting pretty close to this and other parcels being developed.  GVSU owns the block west of Finkelstein and pretty much everything east to College.  I heard awhile ago they were looking at putting a hotel on College just north of the highway, but never heard what happened with that.  Also haven't heard much about the gravel lot just north of F-stein that was supposed to be low income housing.

I wish Rockford would make some moves in the area, their projects have been some of my favorites as of late....

4 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I would think we'd be getting pretty close to this and other parcels being developed.  GVSU owns the block west of Finkelstein and pretty much everything east to College.  I heard awhile ago they were looking at putting a hotel on College just north of the highway, but never heard what happened with that.  Also haven't heard much about the gravel lot just north of F-stein that was supposed to be low income housing.

I wish Rockford would make some moves in the area, their projects have been some of my favorites as of late....

I seem to recall that the tax credits connected to low-income housing project were not approved in the last round by the state and they're waiting for the next submission window.

Last time I tried to move something, I merged two topics. :) I think it's easier to move something into a new topic than selectively move posts into an existing one. So we'll either have to let it ride, or if another moderator has a better idea, move away. 

Try to keep any comments about the Belknap projects in the Belknap thread. Thanks!

Joe

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 9:07 AM, demhem said:

It is parking for County employees. This property was part of a series of land-swaps in this area between the City, County, and MSU. The County lost a parking lot along the river so this property was traded and subsequently torn down. Not the best use for this lot but better than parking being along the river. Hopefully it won't stay parking for long. 

County employees taking advantage of the new lot

20200114_121811.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Paramaribo said:

Not sure what the plans are,  but it looks the corner of Ottawa and Mason is getting prepped for renovation. Window frames removed, empty interior. The shrubbery between the property and WM Propeller (facing Ionia) is bulldozed, too. 

Plans have Integrated Architecture moving from East Paris - Kentwood, to this Monroe North location.   Glad this is finally moving along... 

From MiBiz:

Kentwood-based Integrated Architecture LLC will invest about $2 million into renovating a 13,600-square-foot building at 840 Ottawa Ave. NW north of downtown Grand Rapids into its new headquarters. Integrated Architecture plans to occupy the newly renovated space in the Monroe North district in mid to late November this year. The new office will be designed for 70 people, but 50 people will move into the building initially, with the opportunity for growth, said Mike Corby, executive vice president of Integrated Architecture. The architecture and engineering firm first proposed the headquarters relocation project in 2017. Integrated Architecture is working with Caledonia-based FCC Construction Inc. for the exterior and site work, and Grand Rapids-based Rockford Construction Co. Inc. for the interior improvements. Van Haren Electric Inc. and River City Mechanical Inc. are also part of the renovation project.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Plans have Integrated Architecture moving from East Paris - Kentwood, to this Monroe North location.   Glad this is finally moving along... 

From MiBiz:

Kentwood-based Integrated Architecture LLC will invest about $2 million into renovating a 13,600-square-foot building at 840 Ottawa Ave. NW north of downtown Grand Rapids into its new headquarters. Integrated Architecture plans to occupy the newly renovated space in the Monroe North district in mid to late November this year. The new office will be designed for 70 people, but 50 people will move into the building initially, with the opportunity for growth, said Mike Corby, executive vice president of Integrated Architecture. The architecture and engineering firm first proposed the headquarters relocation project in 2017. Integrated Architecture is working with Caledonia-based FCC Construction Inc. for the exterior and site work, and Grand Rapids-based Rockford Construction Co. Inc. for the interior improvements. Van Haren Electric Inc. and River City Mechanical Inc. are also part of the renovation project.

Integrated is moving out of that building with the panels 'falling off' and other very unique features?  It will be really interesting to see what becomes of that building.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, numstead said:

Integrated is indeed moving out of "The Learning Center", our home since the late 90s. It's a move that been in the works for a few years, but required finding a new owner/user for 4090 Lake Drive. Recently a local organization (confidential for now) came along, bought it, and we're working on plans to transform it to fit their mission and serve their community's needs.

We're also very excited to be transforming the 840 Ottawa building and moving into the Monroe North neighborhood. I'm sure there will be some rendering published in the near future, and I may be able to share some pre-demolition and construction progress photos along the way.

Thanks numstead, and welcome back :thumbsup:  Look forward to some renderings, pics of progress!