New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

Fortunately, I saved the rendering to my phone. :)

IMG_1642.JPG

I think Concept Design Group is allergic to screened parking. Eesh. The city should really start taking issue with this. One floor up from ground floor still affects the aesthetic of the ground floor. 

Speaking of that site, I was over in that area the other day and got a picture looking South toward MSU and The Rowe. If it weren't for the highway, it would feel like it was in the same neighborhood. 

22800082246_b8fbeb7ed7_c.jpg

Edited by GRDadof3
  • Like 1

If I'm reading this right and it says 275 feet, it'd be just a bit taller than the Bridgewater Place.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Grand_Rapids

Actually it says 175 ft which would make it the 11th but I think it is actually a bit taller if you look at the rendering (the 275 is not an indicator of height as it starts above 100 at ground level). Looks like it is about 185-190 feet to me.

Joe

This garage design should be criminal. I honestly can't understand how they think this is okay. I also don't understand how the City continues to allow this to happen. 

I don't think there's anything the current code to prevent it. The language is mostly pertaining to ground floor. But it's really awful. None of the standalone parking garages look this bad, so why allow this?

Those guys at concept design <edited> 

Edited by GRDadof3

I don't think there's anything the current code to prevent it. The language is mostly pertaining to ground floor. But it's really awful. None of the standalone parking garages look this bad, so why allow this?

Those floors look like they're still under construction.

Those floors look like they're still under construction.

This is the FINISHED product on Arena Place, where the parking garage is. Get used to it, the future of downtown Grand Rapids. I do like how I can see what brand of car is parking in the garage, count the German vs Swedish vs American made cars. Keeps the kids from getting bored. 

It's basically the architectural equivalent of a plumber showing butt crack. 

22646259310_350837b2a3_c.jpg

22646264690_012464c834_c.jpg

Edited by GRDadof3

This is the FINISHED product on Arena Place, where the parking garage is. Get used to it, the future of downtown Grand Rapids. I do like how I can see what brand of car is parking in the garage, count the German vs Swedish vs American made cars. Keeps the kids from getting bored. 

22646259310_350837b2a3_c.jpg

22646264690_012464c834_c.jpg

Remind me again which group of talentless hacks designed this building?  Oh, wait.  Concept Design!!11!!!!1!!!!  They say their clients "understand the value of good design" as their tagline, or some nonsense like that.  No.  No, they do not if my eyes are any guide.  They appear to understand the value of cheap.  And while it is perfectly possible to combine cheap with attractive, Concept Design IMHO is apparently clueless about how to do it.  My god are these awful.

Edited by x99
  • Like 1

Actually it says 175 ft which would make it the 11th but I think it is actually a bit taller if you look at the rendering (the 275 is not an indicator of height as it starts above 100 at ground level). Looks like it is about 185-190 feet to me.

Joe

Ok, I thought that over 200 feet would be strange. Thanks!

Did you know that floors 6-12 of this iconic building are parking levels?  Concept Design would like you to envision how much nicer it would look if they had left those floors open instead of integrating them into the overall look of the building.

in236b-hancock-bst.jpg

Edited by wingbert
  • Like 3

Which parties would oppose changes to code that would require parking garages from being screened? This really seems to be a GR-thing (or a Concept thing?), as I rarely see this type of garage design in other cities.  

GR has decent requirements from screening parking in surface lots...but screening requirements apply to all parking types? Most growing cities (vs ones that are begging for any development) have code requirements that require a level of architectural treatment to screen garages....most stringently the requirement is an active use (meaning a parking space can not be adjacent to the facade), others require a combination of active use, or architectural or art panels. Architectural panels are commonplace in Chicago. 

• Like 2

GR has decent requirements from screening parking in surface lots...but screening requirements apply to all parking types? Most growing cities (vs ones that are begging for any development) have code requirements that require a level of architectural treatment to screen garages....most stringently the requirement is an active use (meaning a parking space can not be adjacent to the facade), others require a combination of active use, or architectural or art panels. Architectural panels are commonplace in Chicago. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  If you look at buildings from the sidewalk, the parking lot firms that designed the Ellis ramp and the Monroe Center ramp have a substantially higher level of urban design talent than the majority of architects currently being hired to design actual buildings in this city.  It's a sad, sad commentary on the state of affairs.  

• Like 1

So they screened the first level but not the rest..

The first floor is also retail, & apartment entrance/lounge, so they had to have a facade for that.  Adding a facade on a building costs money.  How can you expect anyone to add a facade to a whole building?!  That's just crazy talk. :P   

Edited by mpchicago
  • Like 2

The first floor is also retail, & apartment entrance/lounge, so they had to have a facade for that.  Adding a facade on a building costs money.  How can you expect anyone to add a facade to a whole building?!  That's just crazy talk. :P   

Following the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law. I would imagine the Monroe Terrace and Spectrum/Brass Works people may have something to say about it. Maybe even the Monroe North Business Association. 

Edited by GRDadof3