New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, joeDowntown said:

How long does the process of getting city permits -> seeing a project start to move dirt? Anyone want to make an educated (or uneducated) guess on when we might hear/see something on this project?

Joe

The hotel? I thought someone said they were waiting until they're mostly finished with their Beltline hotel first? 

8 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The hotel? I thought someone said they were waiting until they're mostly finished with their Beltline hotel first? 

No, Icon II. You said it was "into the city for permits". Just wondered what that means for timeframes, how long this process takes, do developers typically break ground quickly after, or is it a formality and they could start years later? Just curious. 

Joe

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

No, Icon II. You said it was "into the city for permits". Just wondered what that means for timeframes, how long this process takes, do developers typically break ground quickly after, or is it a formality and they could start years later? Just curious. 

Joe

Usually things roll pretty quickly after they submit for permits, unless they run into major obstacles. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two things I noticed today in this neighborhood that made me pause and wonder...

Was there always a trailer sitting on the site of the future Embassy Suites? I don't remember that but that doesn't mean it hasn't been there all along.

Also, is the construction fence on the river front on Monroe where Orion is building the apartment building new? I was just there this past week and don't remember seeing that so I wondered if that was also new.

My hope is that both of these projects are getting close to starting. 

16 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Two things I noticed today in this neighborhood that made me pause and wonder...

Was there always a trailer sitting on the site of the future Embassy Suites? I don't remember that but that doesn't mean it hasn't been there all along.

Also, is the construction fence on the river front on Monroe where Orion is building the apartment building new? I was just there this past week and don't remember seeing that so I wondered if that was also new.

My hope is that both of these projects are getting close to starting. 

The construction trailer at the hotel site has been there for quite a while, about the same time that the fence went up. I think it's Walsh Construction? 

I was at the Boardwalk a few weeks ago and don't remember seeing a fence around that riverfront building. 

In other news, I was at a friend's in River House this weekend and could see that the little park/trail that extends from Canal Street Park up to Leonard looks like it's pretty far along. I thought I could make out the shapes of the new sculpted retaining walls.

Edit: yep, that's definitely what I saw. 

Leonard Waterfront Park.jpg

• Like 1

Full definition from Merriam-Webster: :  a building or structure typically higher than its diameter and high relative to its surroundings that may stand apart (as a campanile) or be attached (as a church belfry) to a larger structure and that may be fully walled in or of skeleton framework (as an observation or transmission tower)

Why do local media and developers continue to eschew this word??

• Like 2

That's kind of the Orion MO though isn't it?  Start with something mildly acceptable, get city buyoff.  Value engineer down to a cheap looking box?   I do give John Wheeler Credit.  Everything he's said he's going to do has gone quicker than pretty much anyone else.  If the Lyon/Ottawa project breaks ground he'll be batting 100.  Although if it ends up being two "two towers" at 7 stories each, and they all look like bad Christmas packaging I'm not sure who wins.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

In other monroe north news, I see the lot next to 820 monroe where essence restaurant group was going to build, is back on the market. 

That is a bit of a disappointment. Was really hoping they would open a new place. Hopefully they will still start a new restaurant, even if it isn't in this space. 

8 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

That is a bit of a disappointment. Was really hoping they would open a new place. Hopefully they will still start a new restaurant, even if it isn't in this space. 

Honestly I think they need to invest some energy into Green Well. BBV and Grove are as good as ever. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

You beat me too it! The continuing de-evolution of design in GR. The current proposed street frontage is nothing less than abysmal. Thanks Progressive AE!

I guess the good news is that since Monroe Ave is a long narrow corridor, you're really not going to be looking at the building straight on from East. You'll be looking at it either from the South or from the North. 

Trying to be optimistic. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I guess the good news is that since Monroe Ave is a long narrow corridor, you're really not going to be looking at the building straight on from East. You'll be looking at it either from the South or from the North. 

Trying to be optimistic. 

I applaud your optimism. That being said, while walking the sidewalk on Monroe or living in The Boardwalk building, you'll be subjected to this 'design'.

41 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I applaud your optimism. That being said, while walking the sidewalk on Monroe or living in The Boardwalk building, you'll be subjected to this 'design'.

At least there's a restaurant on the South end that might liven up that area a bit? Maybe. :)

• Like 1

It's not "great" looking, but for where it is (the outer fringe of N. Monroe), and what it is replacing, they at least got the urbanism right. No surface parking lots fronting the street. The majority of the ground floor is transparent. No building setback from the sidewalk.

There are some huge residential buildings, some with "historic" facades on N. Monroe that couldn't even get that stuff right.

But this is one of those buildings that will need the area to fill in before its looks dont stick out so much.

• Like 1