New projects in Monroe North

GRDadof3

12 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Integrated Architecture is apparently moving from their current office in Kentwood/Cascade (the one with the palm trees overlooking I-96) to Ottawa Ave. My question: who's going to buy/lease that stupid building they're currently in? :) It's cool from the inside but awful on the outside. 

http://www.grbj.com/articles/88206-architecture-firm-planning-move-downtown

My brother worked there for a while in the 2000's and I agree about the interior vs exterior. I always thought the inside was way more functional than expected. I'm curious to see how they develop this site.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2017 at 2:40 PM, ctpgr34 said:

He is speaking of the one on the River I believe.  The one in the shed is by people at Sandy Point I believe.  Also the Plainfield Jazz one , and I believe the Brian's Books downtown one. Partially mentioned above....

Here is more on the Pole Barn on Ottawa and the Brian's Books one- http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2017/06/popular_lakeshore_restaurant_p.html#incart_2box_news_grand-rapids

9 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

My brother worked there for a while in the 2000's and I agree about the interior vs exterior. I always thought the inside was way more functional than expected. I'm curious to see how they develop this site.  

That's really weird, my brother also worked there, from when they used to be on Broadmoor near 44th and then made the transition to the new office. I remember him being really perplexed about the palm trees. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I noticed that yesterday as well and wondered if it was just parked there for another project elsewhere but that article certainly sheds some light. Glad you shared because I was wondering. 

33 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

I noticed that yesterday as well and wondered if it was just parked there for another project elsewhere but that article certainly sheds some light. Glad you shared because I was wondering. 

19 minutes ago, MJLO said:

That's good news,  I thought this was dead for sure. 

I've forgotten what the most recent plans looked like. :P

And did they go with the 13 story or 16 story version? 

Edit: it says 16 story on the building permit site. 

https://inspections.grcity.us/CitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=16CAP&capID2=00000&capID3=00RQY&agencyCode=GRANDRAPIDS&IsToShowInspection=

• Like 3

I hope they've refined the building a bit. I was not a big fan of the brick rendering. 

So I was thinking about Parking, and doesn't it seem like a building like this would be a fantastic opportunity for the city to partner up and add a few more floors of parking? I know the city is reluctant to do anything with parking, but it seems like some of these new developments would be the perfect time for the city to get involved.

1) it would add additional parking.

2) It would add additional parking without taking away a speck of developable land downtown.

3) The city "owns" the lot and captures parking fees (plus designates monthly / daily parking) until the debt is paid and then the building owner retains ownership(?) 

The financing might be tricky, but imagine if the city were to add two stories of parking to this development. Or two stories of parking to Warner Tower (had it not been started). Start adding parking where there is already going to be parking. It would seem like a win-win in my books, and it seems like the cost per parking spot would be reasonable as there would be efficiencies in construction, no cost to buy the land, etc. 

Maybe it's a crazy idea...

Joe

• Like 3

9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I hope they've refined the building a bit. I was not a big fan of the brick rendering. 

So I was thinking about Parking, and doesn't it seem like a building like this would be a fantastic opportunity for the city to partner up and add a few more floors of parking? I know the city is reluctant to do anything with parking, but it seems like some of these new developments would be the perfect time for the city to get involved.

1) it would add additional parking.

2) It would add additional parking without taking away a speck of developable land downtown.

3) The city "owns" the lot and captures parking fees (plus designates monthly / daily parking) until the debt is paid and then the building owner retains ownership(?) 

The financing might be tricky, but imagine if the city were to add two stories of parking to this development. Or two stories of parking to Warner Tower (had it not been started). Start adding parking where there is already going to be parking. It would seem like a win-win in my books, and it seems like the cost per parking spot would be reasonable as there would be efficiencies in construction, no cost to buy the land, etc. 

Maybe it's a crazy idea...

Joe

That's a great idea Joe, and Monroe North will need more parking at some point. It might allow MSU to not have to build parking on the lots they own. 

• Like 2

On 2/2/2016 at 9:35 PM, GRDadof3 said:

Even yet new drawings of 601 Bond. This time they've beefed up the parking levels and show comparisons to the JW Marriott parking garage, for their parking levels. 

601 Bond Rendering Images.JPG

601 Bond Rendering.JPG

It certainly has more continuity but no balconies? That's odd..

Maybe because they had to pump more money into the parking levels they value-engineered the balconies out? And replaced them with the rooftop common balcony?

I believe this was the most recent rendering we'd seen.

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

While I think the current rendering fits with the other buildings in the neighborhood, I thought the first rendering was much more appealing (balconies, and not just a big box). I hope they come up with something nice before they start construction. 

Joe

Yeah, that one makes Icon look like gold. :)

Steel going up on the Embassy Suites. Looks like they ditched the double branded hotel? 

35866998716_b1897600df_b.jpg

35907611835_57a48701d1_b.jpg

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Yeah, that one makes Icon look like gold. :)

Steel going up on the Embassy Suites. Looks like they ditched the double branded hotel? 

I think they ditched the double branding a while ago. It's been strictly an Embassy Suite since the most recent resurrection. 

Joe

9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

I think they ditched the double branding a while ago. It's been strictly an Embassy Suite since the most recent resurrection. 

Joe

You're right Joe, this project has been going on for so long I forgot. :)

I believe this is the most recent version:

32996217442_59e645c761_b.jpg

33152578345_fe4cf3dbb5_b.jpg

32042481676_24ae2314a7_o.jpg

In other Monroe North news, they're almost finished with the Ottawa Avenue exit realignment that will allow traffic to get off I-196 Eastbround and go NORTH into the Monroe North area. I thought they were going to do something similar with the Westbound traffic but it doesn't appear so (yet). 

int-196-ottawa-avejpg-ce66f9c2c13555a6.j

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

They're starting to go to town on the Icon site. I find it hard to believe that we may have 2 tower cranes going downtown again in the near future. :alc:

Ok Rendering Ninja, go get us the current plans. :) Can I send you to fetch things like a dog? 

Joe

• Like 1

That project DEFINITELY looks better from the river side. 

35949160692_81be203103_b.jpg

New rendering I found of the Embassy Suites. I assume there are no windows on the ends because there will eventually be something in the parking lot between Brassworks and this project? I hope? 

One thing's for sure, at 247 suites it will certainly inject a lot of people into the street scene along Monroe in that area. Most hotel stayers will probably venture out to eat to one of the several breweries and cafes in the area? (CityBuilt, Field and Fire, SpeakEZ, Atwater, Garage, etc.). Personally when I stay in a hotel in a downtown area I rarely eat at the hotel restaurant. Anyone else? 

Plus the 200 new apartments at 601 Bond won't hurt that area either. :)

36076681986_6d3d6f768e_b.jpg

• Like 3