AC Hotel on West Main

spartanburgh

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It costs about $1 million a mile to bury power lines and generally more than that in an urban setting. I think the City has a lot of other needs it could spend that kind of money on. 

What the City should do, however, is enact some sort of program to start burying lines in key places. Greenville has had limited to moderate success with it's program (which is for the whole city, not just their downtown).

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/downtown/2016/01/21/effort-bury-power-lines-has-proven-costly-slow/79117476/

Yeah, that's true.  In a perfect world, though...

Well, someone earlier in the thread had good intel, because Rick Erwin will open "Level 10" restaurant on the top floor of the AC Hotel this fall.  It's a high-end concept modeled after Good Food on Montford in Charlotte (I'll have to look that up) featuring a small menu of seasonally driven small plates.  It's 5,500 sq ft and features a prominent indoor/outdoor bar.  Sounds cool.  Here's a floor plan:

5938812b503f9_Level10floorplan.thumb.jpg.53010dc75a8ed8d314d697e2b401c9b1.jpg

And a bonus photo I took today of the exterior cladding starting on said top floor:IMG_3619.thumb.JPG.d5fcbc26d85d38e12731af91d08add29.JPG

I am kind of disappointed that I was correct about Rick Irwin wanting and getting the restaurant in the new hotel. I was in the Standard the other night and while nice I was not exactly blown away. Some of his restaurants in Greenville are way nicer. We may have gotten the budget version.

I known the Burg is not known for upper scale chain restaurants, but I was really hoping for a Ruths Chris or Capital Grill for this spot.

59 minutes ago, roads-scholar said:

I think we'll see a high-end steak joint very soon.  Ruth's Chris (overrated), Capital Grill, Shula's. 

We sure could use one. The Peddler is downright depressing and hasn't changed since its been open.

The best steak is the one you make, but every now and then it's good to go and get one.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 2:20 PM, roads-scholar said:

How was the tour?

Well, it certainly looks like a hotel that in under heavy construction but is on schedule per Ziggy Clayton with OTO Hotels.

We went straight to the top via a freight elevator and then worked our way down. The restaurant/bar is going to be very upscale and nice as heck. They will be a part that is open air and there are places for fire pits or gas fire pits in colder months. The view will be great and is pretty good right now as you can see all the different construction that is underway downtown.

From the top we went down to the 9th floor (it's in the dry as is the whole hotel, but no fixtures or mounts have been added) and then skipped 8 & 7 as they are in the same shape as 9. Floor 6 has some mounts (for the beds) and fixtures on walls and in the baths. We then skipped down to floor 3 where they have 3 model rooms, each with different flooring from Mohawk, Shaw, and Milliken. After much debate, they decided to go with Milliken. Hometown won out for performance and looks, not because it was hometown. Floors 3 & 2 have the mounting for the beds and vanities and some plumbing is in. The 1st floor where you check in and eat breakfast will be very nice. Some furniture (bar area, desks, etc.) is already in there but completely covered because there is still much construction going on inside and right outside where the swimming pool will be.

The tower crane will be leaving in 2 weeks. It was 45K per month to rent. There will be 114 hotel rooms and 114 parking spots. If you are staying in the hotel breakfast is free, if not you pay. The director of sales for the hotel (can't remember her name) said there are only 12 (or something like that) of these type hotels in the country. Can we keep it full? That remains to be seen, but I would certainly stay here vs the Marriot as you are down in the thick of the action or as much action as we can produce.

All in all it's going to be super nice and upscale. At one point I looked at my wife and brother and asked "Can you really believe we are getting a hotel/restaurant this grand"? We have all been in Spartanburg our whole lives and have never seen anything on this scale other than maybe OTO HQ which was originally former Extended Stay HQ. That building is super luxury on the inside. Obviously Cribbs, the brewery, and Main St Pub will be big time beneficiaries of this hotel but all of downtown and Spartanburg will benefit.

55 minutes ago, Sparkleman said:

Well, it certainly looks like a hotel that in under heavy construction but is on schedule per Ziggy Clayton with OTO Hotels.

We went straight to the top via a freight elevator and then worked our way down. The restaurant/bar is going to be very upscale and nice as heck. They will be a part that is open air and there are places for fire pits or gas fire pits in colder months. The view will be great and is pretty good right now as you can see all the different construction that is underway downtown.

From the top we went down to the 9th floor (it's in the dry as is the whole hotel, but no fixtures or mounts have been added) and then skipped 8 & 7 as they are in the same shape as 9. Floor 6 has some mounts (for the beds) and fixtures on walls and in the baths. We then skipped down to floor 3 where they have 3 model rooms, each with different flooring from Mohawk, Shaw, and Milliken. After much debate, they decided to go with Milliken. Hometown won out for performance and looks, not because it was hometown. Floors 3 & 2 have the mounting for the beds and vanities and some plumbing is in. The 1st floor where you check in and eat breakfast will be very nice. Some furniture (bar area, desks, etc.) is already in there but completely covered because there is still much construction going on inside and right outside where the swimming pool will be.

The tower crane will be leaving in 2 weeks. It was 45K per month to rent. There will be 114 hotel rooms and 114 parking spots. If you are staying in the hotel breakfast is free, if not you pay. The director of sales for the hotel (can't remember her name) said there are only 12 (or something like that) of these type hotels in the country. Can we keep it full? That remains to be seen, but I would certainly stay here vs the Marriot as you are down in the thick of the action or as much action as we can produce.

All in all it's going to be super nice and upscale. At one point I looked at my wife and brother and asked "Can you really believe we are getting a hotel/restaurant this grand"? We have all been in Spartanburg our whole lives and have never seen anything on this scale other than maybe OTO HQ which was originally former Extended Stay HQ. That building is super luxury on the inside. Obviously Cribbs, the brewery, and Main St Pub will be big time beneficiaries of this hotel but all of downtown and Spartanburg will benefit.

Good report!

I'm old enough to remember when the Hyatt opened in Greenville in 1982.  I heard the same "Can you really believe we are getting a hotel/restaurant this grand"?  The Hyatt's opening was the genesis of Greenville's rebirth.  I believe the AC Marriott will do the same for Spartanburg. 

According to the website, room rates range from #189 - $239 (February, 2018 booking).  High for Spartanburg but in-line for a hotel of this caliber. 

From a long-term historical perspective, we've had hotels of this caliber in the past (Cleveland & Franklin hotels in the 1920s-50s).  It was only later in the 20th century that we started to accept and expect lower-quality buildings.  I feel like we're finally getting back to where we're supposed to be (finally replacing lost grandeur), as opposed to doing anything particularly extraordinary or unprecedented.  That said, I'm still really excited about this.  I just like to muse about this kind of stuff too much.

Anyway, here's a photo of the roof tile progress:

IMG_6945.thumb.JPG.b089328852df6094739d3d664c8c3427.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brick is going up on the rear where the construction elevator was.  Brackets/corbels are being put up right under the roof line.  Also, the stone base along with the first bit of cast stone above it are going in on the ground floor (see webcam screenshot below).

acgrndflr.JPG.0d645e12793a9ceb82f2e0c9ed2ee23c.JPG

Edit: They aren't burying power lines, but they are moving a pole so it isn't right in front of their windows. That's something?

5977ba74e48b7_acpoles.JPG.b96b46a3a26e51348f46ea47ff3e55ed.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update from yesterday evening.  The cast stone cladding on the first floor is now going up!  The archways over the main windows have a flower relief on them, which match the ones on the arches on the 10th floor.  Nice detail.  Also, roof line corbels/brackets look mostly complete, and French balconies continue to be added.  Oh, and they've removed the blue plastic coverings over the windows on the sides of the front.

5996373a1d87c_IMG_7615(2).thumb.jpg.a942d093a0cdf976e0cca9c2830b4b2b.jpgIMG_7618.thumb.JPG.76159e17a4a84724768d8903b705ad2c.JPGIMG_7619.thumb.JPG.1be8fa2e26e88efb8b36bc9889f200c1.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Archived