AC Hotel on West Main

spartanburgh

It may be intended to help buffer the area to the West. Also, If your on the roof top, there's

not much to look at to the West. It could draw your eyes to the pool area instead of the rail

road tracks or the blight of West Main St. beyond the tracks. Just from a guest satisfaction

perspective? I wouldn't change anything.......

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I hope its tall enough so the roof top can have significant landscape features

pointed out as you go around the rooftop. For example, the Atlanta Westin hotel downtown

that has the rotating bar top notes when your in view of Stone Mountain, Buckhead, The

Georgia dome etc.

We could have views of the mountains, downtown airport, Westgate, Hillcrest, etc.

Spartan, I agree that the pool placement is poor.  Something like this would be better:

post-24605-0-38277000-1434492414_thumb.j post-24605-0-46965200-1434492415_thumb.j

spartanburgh, I doubt you could see landmarks quite that far away.  I've been to the top of the Denny's Building, and you can just barely see Hillcrest and the DT airport.  I suspect the furthest landmark you could see would be something like Spartanburg Regional.  Oh, and likely the mountains (you can see them from the upper floors of the Schuyler Building).

Also, I hope its tall enough so the roof top can have significant landscape features

pointed out as you go around the rooftop. For example, the Atlanta Westin hotel downtown

that has the rotating bar top notes when your in view of Stone Mountain, Buckhead, The

Georgia dome etc.

We could have views of the mountains, downtown airport, Westgate, Hillcrest, etc.

Do we have an official height on the tower yet? You'll definitely be able to see the mountains, but 10 floors up isn't that high (in the sense of being able to see out a long way). You can only see 1-2 miles on the ground. You'll be able to see water towers and anything else that's particularly high (Thickety Mountain, maybe Kings Mountain), and otherwise up on a hill that would make it visible.

For reference, I know from the 10th floor in my office building in Charlotte I can see Crowders Mountain and water towers up to 10 miles away... but I can only see a couple of miles or so of trees before it all starts looking the same. If you're in a space that faces northwest you can see the Appalachians but they're way off in the distance... so since Spartanburg is much closer they should be quite awesome.

Spartan, I agree that the pool placement is poor.  Something like this would be better:

attachicon.gifacretailconcept1.JPG attachicon.gifacretailconcept2.JPG

spartanburgh, I doubt you could see landmarks quite that far away.  I've been to the top of the Denny's Building, and you can just barely see Hillcrest and the DT airport.  I suspect the furthest landmark you could see would be something like Spartanburg Regional.  Oh, and likely the mountains (you can see them from the upper floors of the Schuyler Building).

Yes, this is exactly what I had in mind... except moving the pool too. If I have time tomorrow I'll photoshop the site plan to show it.

Brick is going up on the new Event Rentals building.  Interesting that it's a brownish brick (like 201 Wall St) as opposed to a more reddish brick (like 1MS, QS/1, etc).  Since we have a lot of brick buildings, I guess it's good to vary the color. :silly:

post-24605-0-65220000-1434919364_thumb.j

And here's an updated skyline view I made with the new rendering.  It's not perfect, but it should be pretty close.

post-24605-0-27574600-1434919362_thumb.j

Cool skyline rendering, westsider!

Brick is going up on the new Event Rentals building.  Interesting that it's a brownish brick (like 201 Wall St) as opposed to a more reddish brick (like 1MS, QS/1, etc).  Since we have a lot of brick buildings, I guess it's good to vary the color. :silly:

attachicon.gifevrentbrick.JPG

And here's an updated skyline view I made with the new rendering.  It's not perfect, but it should be pretty close.

attachicon.gifACskyline.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

There's a DRB meeting tomorrow (7/7) at 5:30pm about the AC Hotel.  I assume it's about a variance for the pool, which doesn't meet Urban Code requirements.  There will be an opportunity for public comment.  I may try to make it there to speak against the current pool position.

And the brickwork for the new Event Rentals building is finishing up.  Getting closer to them moving and the hotel getting underway...

post-24605-0-43527900-1436223000_thumb.j

(photo from Saturday)

So, I went to the DRB meeting. And my UP anonymity has been compromised, because the OTO guy I talked to reads this board. Haha.

They've been trying many different pool placements, and they are currently planning on something very similar to my first concept above.  The pool would be perpendicular to the hotel, leaving room on the western part of the site for a future building.  Also the pool is now accessed by a basement level due to the slope of the site, so it will be more at-grade rather than elevated.  I can certainly live with this setup, so I hope it happens.

post-24605-0-60639100-1436330279_thumb.j

From the elevation drawings, it looks like the height of the hotel will be 128 feet (about the same as the Montgomery Bldg).  First floor is 18ft, 2nd is 14ft, 3-9 are 10ft, and rooftop bar is 15ft (roof is 10ft).  Signage will be pretty subdued.  No rooftop sign; just small front & side signs, text sign on canopy, and small monument sign on back corner by car entrance.

post-24605-0-98427200-1436330276_thumb.j post-24605-0-30260900-1436330281_thumb.j

Edit: OTO also mentioned a tentative timeline for construction: end of July - new Event Rentals bldg done; August - moving; September - demolition; Oct/Nov - grading; Nov/Dec/Jan - begin foundation.

To answer your question, spartanburgh, the DRB approved everything but the pool placement, since that hasn't been finalized.

Edit: Actually, I think the wording was something like "approval with conditions" with the pool placement being the unresolved issue.  Anyway, you get what I'm saying, I presume.

• 3 weeks later...

The new Event Rentals building is very close to being finished.  Their old building has a banner about them moving, too.  Hope that happens soon.  I can't wait for some activity on the hotel site.  This building, though certainly not great, does at least make that part of West Main feel more urban and lively (since it has a good street presence, and it's new).

evrent.thumb.JPG.2e28842c7f3ed7e8a9cd805

Since not much is happening with this yet and I was bored several days ago, I threw together a model of the hotel in SketchUp to get a better sense of its scale.  It's definitely going to make quite an impact!

ACrender2.thumb.JPG.d28541f3052c3166c700ACrender4.thumb.JPG.3746a976cab230c6664c

^That's awesome!

The event rentals place is slightly less horrible than I thought it would be in that the brick façade extends down the side of the building partially. I thought it was only going to be on the front (ie: Dollar General).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Grading work is underway in earnest now, which is good to see.  The AC Hotel's FB page posted a photo today.  The picture was taken by a construction camera on the traffic light pole, so I suspect there is (or will be) a live feed somewhere online. The GC is Robins and Morton, which I found typically uses EarthCam for their projects, if you want to try to look for it. :lol:

12346412_1256089477751008_74749748789903

Archived