AC Hotel on West Main

spartanburgh

Concrete was poured for half of the ground floor in the predawn hours yesterday.  Now they've gotten quite a few rebar columns erected and covered with concrete forms (not yet poured).   They're moving pretty quickly.  Here's a webcam screencap and a few photos I took this morning.  The first floor is supposed to be 18 feet tall.  The building already feels larger in real life than I expected.  This thing is gonna be BIG.

webcam611.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first half of the 2nd floor was poured this morning. Starting to put up 2nd-floor forms for the stairwells, elevator shafts, and columns too. The 2nd floor is supposed to be 14 feet tall. They also recently put up a second webcam behind the hotel with a wider view (for when it gets taller).

Last week, Hub City Bees posted some awesome drone photos of the site & crane:

13495255_1801845856711845_32452196917762

13558625_1801845860045178_58822301041535

• 3 weeks later...

You may have seen the H-J article this morning giving an update on hotel progress.  Not much new info.  They should be pouring the 2nd half of the 3rd floor early tomorrow morning.  They've got about half of the 3rd floor columns poured.  This is the first guestroom floor.  These are the shortest at 10 feet each, so 3 of these floors are approx. equal to the first 2 floors in height.  There will be 7 of these floors.

IMG_1449.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can see on the webcam that workers are putting up metal framing right now to prepare the first floor for cladding.  They also poured concrete for the first half of the 7th floor this morning.  Moving right along!

There's also now an exterior materials example at the back corner of the site.  It looks fantastic.  I especially like the flower embellishment.

IMG_2088.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, moving on from that episode...

IMG_2155.JPGIMG_2159.JPG

Notice the scaffold (I guess you'd call it) in the first picture.  Looks like cladding will start soon.  The first half of the 8th floor will probably be poured at the end of the week.  They've been consistently pouring a half-floor per week.  Two more guestroom floors of 10 feet each, then the 10th floor bar (15 feet), then the sloped roof.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed today that the Robins-Morton project display window on the Dunbar side of the Aug W Smith / Belk building (between MPS Architects & Cafe Around the Corner) had a poster showing lobby renderings for the AC Hotel.  There are 3 images showing a bar, the parking lot entrance / check-in desk, and the Main Street entrance / elevators.  There was extreme glare on the window, so I could only get a decent photo of the last image.  Looks very sophisticated.

IMG_0394.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot that, according to the plans, the 9th floor will actually be 11 feet tall (not 10), for whatever reason.  The hotel structure is now just over 100 feet tall.  As you can see in the photo below, scaffolding is being erected on the front of the building (ends and part of back already have it).  I wonder when the actual cast-stone cladding will start to go up.

IMG_2317.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like concrete for the roof was poured this morning.  I wonder when the official topping-out ceremony will be.  Could be soon, depending on whether they consider this slab to be the top or the (still to come) framing for the sloped tile roof.  Here's a photo from the webcam:

roof pour.JPG

And I noticed that a flatbed load of bricks was delivered to the site on Thursday, so I would think that exterior cladding could begin soon, too.  Exciting!

ac bricks.JPG

Archived