AC Hotel on West Main

spartanburgh

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a link to the AC Hotel being considered in Greenville. It's a different context and different developer, so I'm hopeful ours will look substantially different. There's a press conference this afternoon at Indigo Hall at 5:30, so we should know more tonight or tomorrow.

http://sc-greenville.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/1774?fileID=5478

Ten stories tall with rooftop bar. Architect is David Schwarz who designed the George and Chapman Center. Very impressive and dare I say I am actually quite jealous but in a very good way. This whoops Greenville's proposed one.

b8269e2c6deaeb1a336048069cda87ea_zps4fx8

Wow. Just, wow. That is an amazing building. I'm interested to learn more about the ground floor. It's hard to see what's going on there but this looks fantastic from the rendering. It's proof that traditional architecture can be successful.

This will be Spartanburg's modern version of the Francis Marion or Poinsett Hotels.

I keep reading 9 floors but I've counted three times on the rendering and I keep getting 10. Anyone know the real count?

Here's the H-J article about the hotel.  Details from the article: "about 114 rooms, a rooftop bar with an outdoor terrace, a signature restaurant, the AC Kitchen, fitness room, outdoor pool, landscaped garden at street level and 2,000 square feet of meeting space."  They've got some photos that show the ground-floor and roof-top set-up.

Spartan, it's essentially 10 floors.  The 10th floor is entirely rooftop bar (which is huge) including indoor seating and covered/uncovered outdoor seating.

The ground floor will at least have a bar (the article suggests restaurant too) with quite a bit of outside seating.

David Schwarz has done some amazing traditional-style buildings, so I'm really excited about his involvement. Should be a great building!

Makes sense. I thought of a few more questions:

-Is this going to be LEED certified?

-How did Spartanburg's urban code influence the design of the building?

-Will there be space for retail on the ground floor? If so, how much?

-Will there be structured parking and where will it fit on the site?

Thank you for the continued interest! We are building the hotel to LEED standards. We're still ironing out design details.

We will have the AC Kitchen and AC Lounge on the first floor, which are open to the public.

The urban code keeps us very conscious of the relationship between the building and the pedestrian sidewalks and experience.

Parking will be onsite and at grade level, located behind the hotel.

Thank you for the continued interest! We are building the hotel to LEED standards. We're still ironing out design details.

We will have the AC Kitchen and AC Lounge on the first floor, which are open to the public.

The urban code keeps us very conscious of the relationship between the building and the pedestrian sidewalks and experience.

So the rooftop area will not be open to the public?  That would be a shame.

Ten stories tall with rooftop bar. Architect is David Schwarz who designed the George and Chapman Center. Very impressive and dare I say I am actually quite jealous but in a very good way. This whoops Greenville's proposed one.

AMAZING! I love David Schwarz's work and he is REALLY making his mark on Spartanburg.  :good:

Here's the H-J article about the hotel.  Details from the article: "about 114 rooms, a rooftop bar with an outdoor terrace, a signature restaurant, the AC Kitchen, fitness room, outdoor pool, landscaped garden at street level and 2,000 square feet of meeting space."  They've got some photos that show the ground-floor and roof-top set-up.

Spartan, it's essentially 10 floors.  The 10th floor is entirely rooftop bar (which is huge) including indoor seating and covered/uncovered outdoor seating.

The ground floor will at least have a bar (the article suggests restaurant too) with quite a bit of outside seating.

David Schwarz has done some amazing traditional-style buildings, so I'm really excited about his involvement. Should be a great building!

Yeah, Schwarz does some great buildings. For those who don't know much about his work - he also designed 'The George' (USC Upstate Business School) over on St John.

Awesome. Thanks for this info! Can you share what LEED level you're shooting for?

I really like this design as well. It fits right in. Kudos Spartanburg. :good:

Ok - found the site plan on the HJ article. 

The building footprint, etc. looks great, and I cannot state how awesome the building itself looks it will be. 

HOWEVER - now that I've seen the site plan, I am slightly underwhelmed. The building itself has a great relationship to the street. It looks like they are going to relocate (or remove) the last block of Broad St to move it closer to the building (for driveway access/parking). That makes a lot of sense, so no issues there.

What I don't understand, though, is that given all of the great design that went into this, how can there be a pool space right in the middle of the western half of the parcel? Why not slide the pool closer the parking area and make a small space (or spaces) available for future retail along Main St? I recognize that the market may not be there for more retail now - but it seems short sighted to intentionally preclude it. Besides, nobody is going to use the grassy area - it's like the grass spaces in front of One Morgan Square. They serve no purpose, and are too small to be useful as pedestrian space. Why not make it a super-wide sidewalk with a decorative wall of some sort to screen the pool?

AC_siteplan_zpszylmcfq5.jpg

AC_footprint_zpscyxyihhk.jpg

Archived