Novel Lucerne [Under Construction]

bic

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like the redistribution of units from the tower to Orange Avenue.  Makes it much more urban and will create a more intimate pedestrian street (a first for Orlando?).  Still, there's a disconnect between those units and Orange Ave because of the semi-underground parking.

But, to have two grocery stores with apartments on top is a pretty big deal for a downtown our size. 

Agree on the redistribution of apartments. The residential tower would be nice also, but between plan A and plan B, I'll take plan B.  The interior promenade is nice.  I like how it winds around to connect phase I and phase II, but it seems isolated from the non-locals.  Something needs to be tweaked to bring in outside patrons.

I too like this. Talk about transformative potential for the southern gateway into downtown. As much as I liked the height of the original proposal, I felt like it was a "Miami template" stamped upon Orlando. This rendition speaks volumes to where Orlando has come and is going in terms of scalable development that will actually compliment the surrounding neighborhood. Where the Princeton in College Park gets it wrong, this development seems to gets it right. I'd say this is a testament to how the developer, GDC (ie NORA) understands Orlando and it's Main Street neighborhood approach, whereas Pollack (the Princeton, Steelhouse) has a tendency to slap a generic "anywhere" design upon the neighborhood. Note: I don't agree with the anti-development NIMBYs in CP, although I do think they could have fought to influence better design over NO development.

Edited by prahaboheme

A: "I want to build an iconic tower for my project and extend the Orlando skyline."

B:"That will cost you x amount of money and you cant charge any more rents. How about we re-distribute the apartments and build them with wood? Then you can still charge a lot of rents.They did it at the other hospital"

A:"But I want to do something special."

B:"This is Orlando"

A:"OK"

• Like 2

A: "I want to build an iconic tower for my project and extend the Orlando skyline."

B:"That will cost you x amount of money and you cant charge any more rents. How about we re-distribute the apartments and build them with wood? Then you can still charge a lot of rents.They did it at the other hospital"

A:"But I want to do something special."

B:"This is Orlando"

A:"OK"

And the award for consistent complaining and assumption making goes to.... 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was always a little wary about the half-underground parking.  As much as I love pedestrian streets, steps up to retail, especially hidden from the street, is always hard to pull off.  Hopefully we'll see something at-grade with a nice wide sidewalk and parking that's hidden a little better.  I would be disappointed if they got rid of the grocery store, though.

• 3 months later...

Pic and an update:

Lucerne before

post-26482-0-50555700-1431298128_thumb.j

Lucerne after

post-26482-0-11289600-1431296933_thumb.j

Orlando Health Contracts to Redevelop Lucerne Pavilion Property

"Orlando Health is pleased to announce that a joint venture between CNL Commercial Real Estate and Crescent Communities, led by Crescent as the managing member, is under contract to purchase and redevelop the former Lucerne Pavilion property located at the intersection of Orange Avenue and Gore Street. The transaction is expected to close in the spring of 2016."

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1