Novel Lucerne [Under Construction]

bic

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

The revised mixed-use project is out... http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2016/04/ARB2015-00060report.pdf ... Now sponsored by Crescent Communities... and apparently to be done in phases.  While I'm sad the high-rise appears to be tabled for a while, I think that that corner will look vastly better with this on it, and could *MAYBE* start the connection of CBD to SODO.  Also, the over the top ARB staff gushing comments are pretty amusing.

lucerne.PNG

• Like 2

I am happy that they are not going through with the highrise at this time because I highly doubt it would be the type of building that parcel of land deserves. Something needs to go there that spurs the redevelopment of Lake Lucerne, lots of untapped potential there.

I like the design. It's great we're seeing development down there.

Side note, do any of you who live in the CBD walk under 408 much? Like, if I were to walk from 55 West down to this grocery store, is there a good pedestrian friendly way that doesn't involve getting pancaked by a car or murdered under a bridge?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I ride my bike under it often.  There is a really wide sidewalk, so cars aren't a problem, but lots of homeless/panhandlers at times.  It's probably about the same distance to Publix at Lake Eola as it is to this location from 55 West.

55 West to Publix = 0.6 mile

55 West to Earth Fare = 0.8 mile

That's some solid guesstimating on your part.  I thought it had to be more like 1-1.5 mile down to there.

• Like 1

I would walk by City Hall and aLoft and then around the lake for minimal car interaction.   I'd also probably use a Juice bike for this trip. 

Agreed. If they put a bike share station there (which I'm sure they will) then that would be much easier. That being said, my wife and I have taken the dog on a walk around lake Lucerne just for a change of scenery. It's crazy how different it is once you go under the 408. Less pedestrian friendly with lots of cars traveling at high speed. Also there were a lot more homeless than in cbd. More camps where people live than just walking around during the day.

As others have said, I've walked and biked under the 408 and past Lake Lucerne many times.  The infrastructure there is solid.  The sidewalk isn't great once you get to the Orlando Health property, but that will be fixed as part of this project.

It's one of those classic urban problems... the lake just *feels* long

16 hours ago, castorvx said:

I like the design. It's great we're seeing development down there.

Side note, do any of you who live in the CBD walk under 408 much? Like, if I were to walk from 55 West down to this grocery store, is there a good pedestrian friendly way that doesn't involve getting pancaked by a car or murdered under a bridge?

Yes. From 55 West it's a very easy walk. Just cut through the ALOFT and OUC parking lots. Once you reach Lake Lucerne you can go right and walk down Lucerne or left down Orange. And now that the 408 entrance ramp is closed there is almost no traffic. The homeless that occupy the space under the overpass are very nice and have lived there for years. I walked my dog around that lake at all hours of the day/night. 

Edited by RedStar25

Who wants to bet that once this property is developed the "Tower of Terror", aka Lake Lucerne Towers, will be imploded? The building has great potential but has horrific management that has let the building fall into disrepair.  

IMG_1421.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0206 (1).JPG

These are photos of an occupied residential building?!?

5 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

These are photos of an occupied residential building?!?

Yes. Run away. Run far far away! 

My windows were so bad that water constantly leaked in and the cooling/heating bills were similar to a 3,000 sqft home with a pool in Winter Park. I complained numerous times and nothing was ever done. 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Crescent closed on the land yesterday. Should start moving dirt in January. In addition to the Earth Fare, a very well-regarded burger joint is scouting the site for a few thousand square feet of the remains retail space. It's not a done deal, but would be a great addition to this area of town of it happens. This project will be one of the better mixed-use executions in Orlando. 

• Like 2