Brier Creek in Raleigh

Tayfromcarolina

Yeah, that's nothing new. I've seen and heard realtors in this area: "Oh no, you don't want to live in Durham!" and other similar BS. Even the ones who consider themselves more "fair" will tend to do that--steer families to Wake County and singles to Durham. Then of course those of us already in Wake County have to pay and stress over an overcrowded school system.

But I digress... -_-

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Brier Creek has the possibility of becoming what is wrong with the Triangle. It could become one giant clusterf* of suburbization that speaks volumes of what happens when you let sprawl, for the sake of progress, grow uncontrollably.

I think the new mixed use business/school/home area near where 540 is, West of the Shoppes of BC, is a good start in the right direction for the area. However I believe if not maintained on some course by either Raleigh or Durham, both cities and counties will move to expolit the area for its own means at the cost of the success of the entire mini-community in between.

:dunno:

I think Brier Creek has the possibility of becoming what is wrong with the Triangle. It could become one giant clusterf* of suburbization that speaks volumes of what happens when you let sprawl, for the sake of progress, grow uncontrollably.

:dunno:

what do you mean "becoming"? It has been thoroughly discussed and I believe generally accepted that much of BC is exactly what is wrong with the region. Read back through the thread...lots of good stuff.... :thumbsup:

There is the shiny new school off Brier Creek parkway for new families, so I guess that makes sense? I don't know where the nearest Durham schools would be? Bethesda on Miami Blvd for elementary, but I don't know where for middle/high school. There are a lot of new apartments on the RTP perimiter near the Page Road corridor, especially west of Alexander.

Brier Creek was a blank canvas that could have been a masterpiece, but ended up being a bunch of scribbles with some overarching themes, overwhelmed by unconnected dots.

Brier Creek is a classic example of "TV dinner mixed use":

- Many items/uses in the same box/area

- A main item like salisbury steak (housing)

- small portions of "vegetables and dessert" (retail, office, etc.) nearby but not really mixed in.

- everything in individual compartment/pockes (divided by roads and surface parking).

Occassionally a bite of peas or mashed potatoes falls into the salisbury steak (a resident walking to the store or office), but this is the exception more than the rule.

TV dinner mixed use is different from "sandwich mixed use" -- vertical stacking of residences/hotels, offices, parking, and street level retail. A lot of people on here would like to see this mixed use, as it lends to a dense, urban form.

• 4 months later...

I was traveling on Briar Creek Parkway yesterday towards Durham/540. There is this unbelievably HUGE development that sits in front of an OMG HUGE apartment development. This things looks to be as big or bigger than the PENTAGON. It's about 4 or 5 stories tall.

Has anyone else seen this monster? What is it?

I was traveling on Briar Creek Parkway yesterday towards Durham/540. There is this unbelievably HUGE development that sits in front of an OMG HUGE apartment development. This things looks to be as big or bigger than the PENTAGON. It's about 4 or 5 stories tall.

Has anyone else seen this monster? What is it?

If you are referring to the buildings across brier creek parkway. Those are multiple buildings. No where near the size of the Pentagon. Probably 1/5 the size of the pentagon if that. I believe they are condos.

• 2 years later...

This is a positive sign for Raleigh's commercial real estate market, especially if this trend continues.

Inspire moves to Raleigh

With all of the existing pharmaceutical and drug related companies that have set up shop in that area over the last few years, i'm wondering whether this area will eventually emerge as a hotspot for fledgling tech and drug companies. Access to the interstates, the airport, and retail makes it a prime location.

What I notice is that two firms in the article are moving from barren office only areas to areas that have retail and reasonable levels of access. While not full on dense and transit oriented areas, the trend away from totally separated (office, retail, and residential being 100% separated from each other) uses is notable.

Archived