Poor Development Planning Downtown Raleigh

RALNATIVE

There was an article about this in the N&O today. It says the church split from the Episcopal church in 2004 because they accepted a gay bishop in New Hampshire. Funny they decided to build their new church in downtown, the gayest neighborhood in the entire city. I didn't support this church before, and I support them even less now. http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/03/01/4592247_downtown-raleigh-sees-first-church.html?rh=1

Totally missed that. Too bad I like that they renovated the house and building looks good. Well, a church wasn't where I was planning on spending my spare time or spare money anyway...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

FYI, I think the folks behind this Anglican church are the same group of right-wing episcopals behind the St. Timothy's/St. Davids split about 10 or 11 years ago...The "Anglicans" align themselves with really conservative bishops from Africa, and reject the American Episcopal Church governing structure.

• 2 weeks later...

Some Anglican congregations in the U.S. withdrew from the Episcopal Church more than twenty years ago. The disputes at the time were about ordination of women (which the Episcopal Church embraced) and modernization of the liturgy. Other Anglican congregations withdrew from the Episcopal Church in or after 2003. The position of the Episcopal Church to fully include LBGTs was usually the trigger for that schism, but not always. 

The Triangle has both types of Anglican congregations.

• 2 weeks later...

Image of the day: A walk beneath Raleigh's Edison Apartments (from TBJ)

What a sad site...

the-edison-apartments-1*600xx4000-2672-0

FWIW it is topped out on the Blount St side, the actual size can be felt over there. Here's to hoping the retail fills up with good things!

This building is a complete waste of space. BUT if they can bring some decent retail, all will not be lost. 

Things I'd like to see:

• A downtown dry cleaner
  • Quick serve restaurant that stays open past 6pm (ie Chipotle, Five guys, etc) Not necessarily a chain, but something like that.
  • Maybe a coffee shop, but now that Sosta will be open on the weekends, that might fill the need there
  • A pharmacy that stays open past 6pm and is open on the weekend
  • NOTHING by Echelon Experiences. blegh

What else would you folks like to see in the retail in the building?

All good items. I happen to be near all three dry cleaners off Peace so it never crossed my mind there wasn't one in downtown proper. 

My girlfriend and I both have been wondering why there aren't more quick eat dinner places. The 8 whatever hotdog place is all I can think of in immediate downtown that isn't subway or on the Plaza (Glenwood has Armadillo plus Char-gril and Snoopys)....anyway, something like the old Delat deli counter in Mission Valley, or a downtown Neomonde would make me very happy. 

Sosta has a contract roaster now, so I have elevated them to status of actual coffee shop now...not sure if they have wifi but the free downtown wifi is probably good enough. The moving of Benelux was a blow to the area for places to casually chill with coffee in hand. 

Huge need for a pharmacy. 

Anyway, I think you could get an Earth Fare in one half of this building. I know they have this incongruous thing where they are based in Asheville, and proffer health foods, yet aim for the suburbiest of the suburbs (Brier Creek? Really? and Morrisville?), but think they'd be perfect for downtown especially if a full service pharmacy landed close by to fill all those needs Earth Fare doesn't. 

Archived