Wolfang Puck Setting Up Shop in D-Town GR

ModSquad

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Puck's New Restaurant moving into Bentham's Space

Is this just another chain coming to DTown GR like Ruth's Chris, or does this signal something bigger?

16620751-mmmain.jpg

Local restaurant owners will only gain by Grand Rapids shoring up its reputation as a "foodie city." Plus, finally that Bentham space will be opened up more to the river.

Exciting times. Getting hard to keep up with it all. :)

Local restaurant owners will only gain by Grand Rapids shoring up its reputation as a "foodie city." Plus, finally that Bentham space will be opened up more to the river.

Exciting times. Getting hard to keep up with it all. :)

Great news. Plus, this is a chain I would've thought would locate in Woodland, Breton Village or Knapp long before they'd come downtown.

Great news. Plus, this is a chain I would've thought would locate in Woodland, Breton Village or Knapp long before they'd come downtown.

Now that you say it Regal, I was thinking the same thing.  I love the fact that Puck did a site visit to GR and experienced our hot neighborhood restaurant scene and that helped make his decision to locate in GR.

Interesting that the site visit was downtown and Cherry Street; 5-10 years ago we wouldn't be showcasing GR's neighborhoods, now its an attraction to convince out of state investment to highlight both the Cherry street area and DT. Great news!

Interesting that the site visit was downtown and Cherry Street; 5-10 years ago we wouldn't be showcasing GR's neighborhoods, now its an attraction to convince out of state investment to highlight both the Cherry street area and DT. Great news!

Just think if you were the server waiting on this group. :) A lot of people recognize George Aquino but I doubt they let it be known to the restaurants that it was a Wolfgang Puck scouting trip.

I'd assume they hit Grove, Green Well, maybe Donkey, Winchester or Electric Cheetah?

• 2 months later...

This is what the Press said last year: Bentham's will close around late February. The new eateries are scheduled to open in the fall of 2015.

I know, lighthousedave had asked about it another post (I believe) so I checked on their website to see if they had closed yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In the earlier articles they talked about doing something with Cornucopia as well in this makeover. I think it'd be a great opportunity to create a new public entrance to the "mall" area of the AGP. Rebrand the whole thing and call it Amway Grand Place or something. Right now it doesn't feel very inviting unless you're a guest of the hotel (and even then not very inviting). I'm sure the retailers would love a little more foot traffic. 

Take out Cornucopia and create a new glass atrium entrance that takes you off of Pearl Street and into the area of stores and the new Puck restaurant. And then dress up the river side with a new expanded glass atrium.

Carry the theme of it being a separate shopping mall throughout the rest of the hotel (upstairs by the waterfalls, just past the gift shop on the first floor, etc).

16960133408_5e1b121612_b.jpg

This drawing is not very good..

16960376600_acd5e9983a_b.jpg

But something like this protruding out over the walkway.

2241284-Marriott-Chicago-Downtown-Magnif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Puck's is looking to add additional seating outside along the Grand River. Should go well with the Lyon Street park makeover, I would think. 

The red line is just where they want to expand their liquor license, it won't actually be fenced off from pedestrian traffic using the riverwalk. 

26587817736_d5869c45bd_o.jpg

Archived