Mercedes- Benz to the Triangle?

RaleighHeelsfan

People put way too much credo in direct flights. I don't think a direct flight will factor one bit of choosing between ATL or Raleigh. And if Raleigh were to get Mercedes, Raleigh won't get a German flight unless it's subsidized with Garanteed revenue for whoever flies it.

I think direct flights are just PR fluff. "Low cost of living, high living standards & direct flights are why we chose XYZ." ... They generally leave out the millions in incentives as their picking of a city, lol

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NC is going to have to pony up some bread for this one. The Chatham County megasite does help the chances to have both a factory and HQ in the area.

I agree DanRNC. I just read that GA is ready to offer up to $50M in incentives to lure them to Atlanta. Plus Atlanta has also had other automotive relos that have occurred in recent years.

If NC can come up with a reasonable incentives package, I think that the Triangle has a good chance because of MB's recent focus on innovation and technology. They recently opened a new R&D facility in Silicon Valley, and may be interested in opening another one in the Triangle.

Some people think the nonstop flights are fluff, others don't. I fly across the Atlantic once or twice every month. They do make a difference to the frequent traveler. To someone who flies once every 4 months or less often, probably not.

I think people in Atlanta would tell you that they're just as well positioned on innovation and technology as the Triangle is.

That's going a bit far. I think that we'd all like to see a new tower go up downtown with MB's logo on it, but even if they don't setup shop downtown (if they choose to relocate to Raleigh), just their presence in the area will bring many other good things. Don't loose sight of the most important benefits of a potential relocation.

If Mercedes were to choose Raleigh and are not going to build downtown...then go to Charlotte. All I have to say on the matter.

Well that's a bit silly.  The amount of potential just having MB's presence here is worth it alone.  If they can't be downtown then fine, North Hills.  If not North Hills then fine, go out to the RTP.  If not the RTP then fine, go plant yourselves in a nondescript office park in Cary.

Just being able to say MB is in the Triangle is marketing value.  It's also a potential stepping stone to bring in other "high players" that could decide they want to be in downtown.  All you need is to get the ball rolling fast enough.

From looking at satellite photos, I believe Weston has one or maybe two sites left. 

I don't think proximity to the Umstead really matters, although it doesn't hurt. There aren't a lot of 5-star hotels along the Golden State Parkway.

Ok, I am going to be the bad guy and say it....

MerCedes-Benz is not coming to the Triangle and most likly not to NC...so far I have read nothing that would give a really good reason why they should!

There I have said it and you can tar and feather me if I am wrong....

But of course you have to catch me first... :P :P :P

Ok, I am going to be the bad guy and say it....

MerCedes-Benz is not coming to the Triangle and most likly not to NC...so far I have read nothing that would give a really good reason why they should!

There I have said it and you can tar and feather me if I am wrong....

But of course you have to catch me first... :P :P :P

Haha, glad someone said it.  I know that they probably won't come here, I just refuse to acknowledge it and be a dreamer.   :silly:

Interestingly enough, there was this article stating that New Jersey was ready to offer a "substantial cash package" to try to get them to stay up there. No exact details, but an announcement of MB's plans could come on Tuesday.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/n-j-woos-mercedes-to-stay-put-cash-offer-called-substantial-1.1185374

Here is the general area referenced in the article. I guess we just don't have the soul strangling suburban nightmare that is this perfectly suited for the production of luxury European automobiles. 

Note that it is a soul strangling suburban nightmare with fast, direct subway service straight to the terminal of the busiest international airport in the world.

I used to work near the purported site that Atlanta offers. It's 6 miles from Buckhead and 14 miles from downtown.. eerily similar to distances RTP-Cary and DTR-RTP.

Meanwhile Gov McCrory complained today that he doesn't have the tools he needs (his words) to negotiate with potentially inbound businesses. 

Archived