Mercedes- Benz to the Triangle?

RaleighHeelsfan

Note that it is a soul strangling suburban nightmare with fast, direct subway service straight to the terminal of the busiest international airport in the world.

Fair point. Wake County Commissioners take note. You too McCrory. Grinding this over, its seems like 'livability's' component of 'residability' is fine or even good here, but 'workability' is becoming a sticking point...I am taking the liberty of splitting these into two concepts of course. Are we seeing tangible effects of poor transit finally? Your statement Orulz makes me think we are...(airport size notwithstanding)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm very disappointed in McCrory's statement quoted by TBJ. As the governor and as an executive, he should not be complaining about what he needs and doesn't have. Rather, after identifying the problem he should be offering up possible solutions and next steps that will bridge the gap.

If the leaders of NC can't find ways to address these myriad of issues that plague the state, who will?  

The Atlanta airport terminal was somewhat closer to the rail corridor in College Park than the RDU terminals are to the rail corridor in Morrisville. On the other hand, just as a rail transit link would have to cross I-40 here, the MARTA line had to bridge over a very wide I-85 to reach the ATL terminal. 

What's really different: ATL airport management was hot to get MARTA from the beginning, whereas the RDU Airport Authority couldn't see past their fears that mass transit would erode airport revenues from parking, taxi fees, and rental car concessions.

I do think McCrory is held somewhat hostage to the NC General Assembly. NC governors are not so weak as they once were, but they're still weak. It doesn't help that the largest counties happen to have significant Dem representation in a General Assembly that is utterly dominated by Reps. 

Here is the general area referenced in the article. I guess we just don't have the soul strangling suburban nightmare that is perfectly suited for the production of luxury European automobiles. 

And Research Triangle Park isn't a "soul strangling suburban nightmare"? I'd argue it's more spread out than Sandy Springs, and like another poster said, RTP doesn't have direct rail access to the airport...

And Research Triangle Park isn't a "soul strangling suburban nightmare"? I'd argue it's more spread out than Sandy Springs, and like another poster said, RTP doesn't have direct rail access to the airport...

Ok I'll shoot straight and speak plainly....yes RTP in general is a very good soul strangling nightmare. One of the best. Atlanta, is the King though, and MB wants the King at its table. Take RTP, densify it in the suburban style a bunch more and presto...Sandy Springs.

ctl, I agree McCrory is slipping in a slightly veiled complaint towards the NC rural conservative rulers on Jones St. With Tillis gone, he is without ye old paddle in the stream. Republican or not, he is pro urban as the means to grow the State overall. 

Note that it is a soul strangling suburban nightmare with fast, direct subway service straight to the terminal of the busiest international airport in the world.

I work in the soul strangling suburban nightmare and it's a disaster and easily the worst traffic bottleneck in the metro as it has rapidly become one of the top employment centers of the region, but has the least urban infrastructure. Compounding the problem is that more people drive and try to get on 285 or GA 400 and for those us heading west on 285, we are blocked in by existing 285 traffic trying to get on GA 400. It's a mess on so many levels.  I would wish that they weren't coming (and not thrilled of these "free" market moves that cost residents millions eitther).

The executives are not going to take MARTA and its Perimeter locations amight be useful to some employees who live in the city, but not many.

I wished it worked out better for you guys or that they simply stayed put rather than beg for money.

Ok, I am going to be the bad guy and say it....

MerCedes-Benz is not coming to the Triangle and most likly not to NC...so far I have read nothing that would give a really good reason why they should!

There I have said it and you can tar and feather me if I am wrong....

But of course you have to catch me first... :P :P :P

Sad to say that I got one right.....I'd would of course rather been wrong...Good for Atlanta! Congrats!

• 1 month later...

RDU would be more than delighted to have a nonstop to/from Germany, even if it's not 7 times a week. The problem is, no airline has been able to make the numbers work -- at least, not yet. It's too long a trip for the A321neoLR. The only widebodies that could handle the route profitably for certain are the 787 (which LH isn't buying and are in short supply at UA and AA) and the A330-800neo which is years away.

CLT has hub traffic to support its MUC and FRA routes. RDU does not. 

Lufthansa & USAIR/AA flights to Germany from Charlotte.

How many foreign companies are located in the Triangle?

How many over seas fights are out of RDU. It has been about 5 years since I flew out of

RDU.

http://flights.lufthansa.com/flight-charlotte-berlin?wt.mc_id=sea_lhcom_us_en

Airline Carrier---Aircraft

Lufthansa---------Airbus A330-300

Lufthansa---------Airbus A340-300

US Airways -------Airbus A330-300

US Airways -------Airbus A340-300

Lufthansa landing in Charlotte. There is a woman who comes out every day at the overlook and does a dance when Lufthansa comes in for a landing. It is funny. Airbus 340-300

• 1 year later...

Mayor McFarlane had some interesting comments at last night's City Council (as reported by N&O Andy Specht)...  Both Mercedes and GE were targeting sites just south of downtown Raleigh for their corporate HQ prior to picking Sandy Springs Atlanta and Boston, respectively.  The renderings for Mercedes' new development is very suburban, and hard to find a comparable plot owned by Raleigh just south of downtown.  GE's site in Boston is very urban and will include renovating two 6-story historic buildings and building 1 new tower.  Also, hard to find a comparable site that they would have been considering south of downtown.  Maybe the closest similar site would be a renovation of the Bain Water Treatment plant with some new office buildings adjacent?

Anyway, sounds like we were closer to landing one or both than some were willing to give us credit for.  Too bad.  Would've been a huge get for downtown!  Probably be at least until 2017 until we are considered for another one thanks to McCrory & HB2.

raleigh property south of downtown.jpg

9 hours ago, Jones_ said:

Curious about your map....are those City owned parcels?

Yes.  The mayors comments came up with regards to a discussion about selling excess city land.  So I assumed the two were related because of that.  And if the city were trying to lure a company to relocate, seems like they would need to own what they were offering?

Anyway, just curious to what might have been.  But seeing Mercedes' development plans, I don't think we're missing out too much on them.

The City might sell some of those parcels, but others are untouchable either legally, practically, or politically... Chavis Park, the Mount Hope Cemetery, flood plain areas along Walnut Creek, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The County and CMS both have move their offices out of uptown Charlotte and has put the land up for sale for redevelopment.  From the looks of the land Raleigh owns downtown, it has lots of land that could be sold for  redevelopment.  The value of the  land in downtown Raleigh would be better used by private development and pay property taxes.  Think it 1/2 of this land was sold for redevelop it would be a boom for uptown Raleigh.  Mount Hope Cemetery would stay as is. 

The land the City is considering selling is a whole different list of downtown properties to consolidate into a new building on Nash Sq.  Most likely very few of the parcels on that map above will be sold.  And if they are, it would likely be low to medium density townhouses or single-residences.  This map is south of downtown and not really an urban setting - mostly single-family residential here.

Also, there is no "uptown" Raleigh.  That sounds like a ridiculous description for a city center.  :rofl:

Uptown Charlotte just refers to downtown Charlotte but the heart of Charlotte literally at Trade and Tryon Streets is on a high point  The main street Tryon is along a ridgeline so it a slight upward walk from any direction.  Plus boosters did think it would sound good back in the 1960s too. People like my mom in her 80s has always called it uptown Charlotte. But we do have a midtown too!   Don't they call the North Hills area Midtown now?

Referring to part of Raleigh as "midtown" has been suggested at various times by various people and companies (e.g. the News & Observer) in various ways, but I don't believe it has caught on yet among the broad populace. Colloquially most folks still seem to say "North Hills", "Crabtree", "on the Beltline", etc. 

Archived