Museum Tower - 31 story Childress Klein Apartments

CLTProductions

Just back from a walk around the city, which btw was hopping today and so beautiful, stopped to chat up a Duke center worker cleaning windows on Mint museum and just cause you can't see the crane being erected he said it most definitely it.  They have been working for a few days in the building 'pits' assembling it and in few days it should pop out.

So is this like the Mint Museum's Bat Cave... Were they assemble everything away from the public's view and out it comes to save the day?

• Like 1

I saw a good number of people on the roof today from over at 550 south caldwell seeing that activity convinced me to ride around after work.  No crane activity at the site yet that I have seen, but I don't know if this spray paint is fresh or if it's and indicator of anything.  This was on Church st.post-27281-0-20018800-1430279530_thumb.j

And just like that, Childress Klein is winning on which high rise project will top out first... I can't believe it looks like we're actually on our way to breaking the record of the last skyscraper boom. Incredible. Including the last boom came light rail to SouthEnd, now we'll have BLE & Gold line.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

I wonder how long until they get a couple floors built? Or how much preparation needs to go into it before the floors start to rise.

I was curious about that myself. They obviously don't have to do any foundation work, but how does it go from here? Do they open the top of the building and just continue on from where it it ends now?

I assume they've got to build some kind of temporary roof below the existing one so they can remove the existing roof. The existing roof deck would be completely pulled out, then they just splice new steel into the top of the existing steel. I've never built a new building on top of one that's already there  :dontknow: