Holston House Hotel, James Robertson Apts. Conversion. 190 rooms, $65 million

Paramount747

Beautiful building but it did not get near as much fanfare as the Memorial Apartments or the Sam Davis Hotel.  This was the 3rd building of that development back in the late 20's with the "South's Largest Parking Garage" accommodating all of them (that GARAGE signage is original).  Marr and Holman did the James Robertson Apartment Hotel for $800,000 according to this video

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

Beautiful building but it did not get near as much fanfare as the Memorial Apartments or the Sam Davis Hotel.  This was the 3rd building of that development back in the late 20's with the "South's Largest Parking Garage" accommodating all of them (that GARAGE signage is original).  Marr and Holman did the James Robertson Apartment Hotel for $800,000 according to this video

Thanks for the find. That's an incredible story.  A couple of screen caps.....

The Sam Davis Hotel. Demolished to widen Commerce Street in the early 80's. Note the Church/Temple to the left.

Sam%20Davis_zpspadpstyu.jpg

And the rendering for the Sudekum Building as it was later known. demolished in the 90's to make way for Giantarra's 24 story Apartment Building.

Sudekem_zpskke066gg.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

At least it got replaced with an actual structure...Sam Davis Hotel torn down in order to WIDEN COMMERCE STREET?!?!?  That blows my mind.  I wish someone would hop to it and figure out time travel just so I could go back to 1981 and pelt the idiots who made these decisions with rotten tomatoes.  

The Sudekum is a terrible loss indeed though.  As much as I appreciate all that Tony has done for the city, I'm not sure I can ever forgive him for that one.  I think that I mourn the loss of the Tennessee Theatre's monumental neon sign almost as much as I do the tower itself.  I mean, if it were around today I have to imagine that the sign alone would be treasured and seen as a citywide landmark.  

large.jpg?1314570960

every time I go to Knoxville there are always plenty of people standing in the street to take photos with their "Tennessee" neon sign that looks very similar to this one

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Great news! According to the Nashville Post, work on remodeling the building as a boutique hotel is about to start:

The owners of the former James Robertson Apartments building have landed a permit for interior work in preparation of the structure’s conversion to a boutique hotel. Bell & Associates Construction is serving as general contractor, with the permit valued at $200,000. New Orleans-based HRI Properties owns the building, having acquired it in March for $8.2 million.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Sneak peek at $30M James Robertson hotel makeover

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• The 2,500-square-foot restaurant will be right off the main entrance on 7th Avenue North.
  • The rooftop bar will offer small bites and small plate dishes with a full-operating bar.
  • The Unbound Collection by Hyatt hotel is expected to open early in next year's fourth quarter.
  • The hotel will have 60 on-site parking spaces with overflow at a nearby garage.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2016/08/19/sneak-peek-30m-james-robertson-hotel-makeover/88976452/

The James Robertson Apartments that housed low-income636071504432867282-Hyatt-Unbound-Nashville---Pool-Deck.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

From today's Nashville Post:

Real Estate Notes: James Robertson project lands major permit

The owner of the building last home to the James Robertson Apartments is targeting a late 2017 finish for and has landed a major permit related to its conversion of the building to a boutique hotel.

New Orleans-based real estate development company HRI Properties is transforming the art deco mid-rise to a 191-room The Unbound Collection by Hyatt.

The permit is valued at $26 million, with the overall project to carry a roughly $50 million price tag.

Nashville-based ESa is the architect, with Bell and Associates Construction of Brentwood the general contractor. Stonehill Taylor of New York will handle interior design services.

Opened in 1929, the building (pictured) is located at 118 Seventh Ave. N. between Broadway and Commerce Street.

“There are very few historic buildings of this size located within Nashville, and we saw it as a unique opportunity to recreate history by returning the building back to its original use as a hotel,” Michael Coolidge, HRI chief investment officer, said in the release. “The Unbound Collection by Hyatt is an ideal fit for this new hotel. It will maintain its individuality and distinct character, and guests will benefit from the operational excellence and amenities that come from being associated with Hyatt.”

The hotel will have, according to the release, “4,000 square feet of meeting space, a grab-and-go market concept, a lobby lounge serving light fare, a state-of-the-art fitness facility and a stunning rooftop pool and bar.”

• Like 2

From today's Nashville Post:

FORMER JAMES ROBERTSON HOTEL TO NOW BE NAMED HOLSTON HOUSE:

The owner of the building last home to the James Robertson Apartments has a new name for what will be a boutique hotel.

New Orleans-based real estate development company HRI Properties is transforming the art deco mid-rise (pictured) to a 191-room The Unbound Collection by Hyatt. However, the company website now shows the name Holston House.

It is unclear as to how the new name (seen on the HRI website) will interact with the moniker The Unbound Collection by Hyatt.

A spokeswoman for HRI emailed the Post noting the team will soon provide more details about the project.

HRI is targeting a late 2017 finish for the boutique hotel opening.

Nashville-based ESa is the architect, with Bell and Associates the general contractor.

Opened in 1929, the building is located at 118 Seventh Avenue between Broadway and Commerce Street.

I think the name comes from the Holston River. The Robertson, Donelson group left Kingsport on the Holston River and traveled down to the Tennessee, and then to the Cumberland river, to here. I think it is appropriate. The key is if they explain the history behind the name and the expedition.

That history is well known to me as that is my neck of the woods.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think the name comes from the Holston River. The Robertson, Donelson group left Kingsport on the Holston River and traveled down to the Tennessee, and then to the Cumberland river, to here. I think it is appropriate. The key is if they explain the history behind the name and the expedition.

That history is well known to me as that is my neck of the woods.

..And that's because we're old-school people, aware of that time-line and the rivers.  So we tend to have that "memory bias"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...