Holston House Hotel, James Robertson Apts. Conversion. 190 rooms, $65 million

Paramount747

It looks great!     I also noticed this week the beautiful exterior stonework on the front of the Holston is being cleaned.      Some knucklehead a while back had applied gray paint on the stonework across the front.     I've been patiently waiting/hoping the crews would be able to successfully remove it and it looks like they have.       This little hotel is really going to shine.   

I'm wondering if there is any opportunity for the Holston to somehow interact with 5th & Broad, since it will back up to the new construction.    

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 2

On 12/6/2017 at 9:26 PM, arkitekte said:

Many times the nasty drop ceilings that are in renovated historic building cover the original ceilings, which are usually very ornamental.

I remember noticing this while I was in school at UT Knoxville in the old library. Much of the ceiling was covered in old, dilapidated drop ceiling, but the parts that weren't or that were missing tiles revealed beautiful ceiling murals and wood/plaster work. I do not understand the obsession with covering up beautiful architectural features in the 60s and 70s.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

I remember noticing this while I was in school at UT Knoxville in the old library. Much of the ceiling was covered in old, dilapidated drop ceiling, but the parts that weren't or that were missing tiles revealed beautiful ceiling murals and wood/plaster work. I do not understand the obsession with covering up beautiful architectural features in the 60s and 70s.

Much of it was a cover up (or an act of ignoring) of needed maintenance. In the cases of commercial buildings, particularly the exteriors, it was an attempt to add more of a clean or modern look. Keep in mind many of these historic buildings are located in areas that had seen a downturn due to the creation of automobile suburbs and the interstate system. Mall, etc. removed the need to visit many of these buildings and this was an attempt to match the architecture found out in loop land. 

When folks found out that this didn't work, many closed their doors and the cheap cover up materials remained. Many are just now being removed after 50 to 60 or so years. Luckily, just like in the case of asbestos siding covering the original wood siding on historic houses built between 1910 and 1935ish, the non-original facade materials have sheltered and in many times, preserved the original materials. Asbestos, as harmful as it is to humans, has well preserved many historic houses original materials. 

• Like 4

^ You see that a lot in archaeology too, especially buildings from the Middle Ages. In the 16th century the Protestant reformers painted over many beautiful paintings and mosaics in medieval churches, cathedrals, and monasteries in France, Germany, and the UK, and only in recent years have they been uncovered. The paint has often helped preserve what was under it. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TENN on Top bar will open March 28th on the top floor of The Holston House. 

The 3,300-square-foot bar will serve a cocktail menu. Options will include a frozen watermelon margarita, mojito and paradise kingfisher. Beer and wine will also be available.

The food menu will include a Dickel Sandwich with fried green tomato, bacon and pesto for $13; shrimp roll with spiced aioli and tarragon for $14; and TENN Dogg with slaw, jalapenos and hot sauce aioli for $10. 

The bar will regularly host DJs and live musical performances.

TENN on Top’s hours will be 12 p.m. to midnight Sunday through Thursday; and 12 p.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 4.40.53 PM.png

• Like 4