Holston House Hotel, James Robertson Apts. Conversion. 190 rooms, $65 million

Paramount747

On 12/4/2016 at 10:08 AM, titanhog said:

^^Will they probably do a heavy power-wash of the exterior?

Let's hope not; that will damage the brick facade. 

Also, does anyone know if the windows that were removed were the original windows? I would hope that they would have considered/elected to repair the original wood windows instead of removing them and replacing with vinyl or aluminum. 

51 minutes ago, arkitekte said:

Also, does anyone know if the windows that were removed were the original windows? I would hope that they would have considered/elected to repair the original wood windows instead of removing them and replacing with vinyl or aluminum. 

Will be interesting to see what the final product looks like.  I do believe, however, that they'll have to do some kind of "spit and polish" to it to bring it back to its original glory, right? It looks a tad dingy at the moment.

• 2 months later...

Holston House (James Robertson Hotel) conversion update. 

Looking east from 7th Ave. North:

Holston House 1, Mar 12, 2017.jpg

Looking SE from alley between The Renaissance and Holston House:

Holston House 2, Mar 12, 2017.jpg

New kitchen and services addition being built along the alleyway.  Looking west:

Holston House 3, Mar 12, 2017.jpg

Looking NW from parking area between Barbershop HarmonySociety, the old convention center, and the Holston House:

Holston House 4, Mar 12, 2017.jpg

• Like 4

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, arkitekte said:

No original windows remain apart from the larger steel windows that are located along the parking lot/alley/easement at the lower level.  These are solid masonry walls in some locations so pressure washing is out as an option, I would think.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CandyAisles said:

No original windows remain apart from the larger steel windows that are located along the parking lot/alley/easement at the lower level.  These are solid masonry walls in some locations so pressure washing is out as an option, I would think.

Is there anything they can do, short of painting the brick, to freshen it up a little?  Just to take away some of the grime but not effect the overall "old" look of the building.

11 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Is there anything they can do, short of painting the brick, to freshen it up a little?  Just to take away some of the grime but not effect the overall "old" look of the building.

Not without replacing the brick and mortar entirely which is impractical if you ask me.  But the stone work is really what needs to be cleaned and/or replaced.  The aesthetics of the building have always been predicated on the 1920's high dollar stone being more prominent.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...