New Year's resolutions for Greenville

mallguy

Now that we're in 2015, what's a New Year's resolution that you wish Greenville would make?

For me:

I wish that Greenville would proactively shape the next area of major growth by zoning it to have a grid street system and sidewalks before retailers move in, rather than having the next growth area develop like Woodruff Road (with a single overcrowded main street and no pedestrian-friendly areas).  If it were zoned that way, the next "hot" area wouldn't have the same traffic problems that Woodruff Road (and before that, Haywood and Pleasantburg) has had.

Others?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking your idea a bit further, local leaders should work with the private sector to develop a solid plan that would create a new urban area (a genuine downtown with complete streets and strategically placed parking garages instead of suburban parking lots and random strip malls) along I-85 that supports an efficient multi-modal transit system.

I would love to see most of the developments along Woodruff Road scrapped (or relocate into a new urban center along I-85) and that area completely redesigned with sustainability in mind.

Now that we're in 2015, what's a New Year's resolution that you wish Greenville would make?

For me:

Others?

1. A solid plan to fund road/bridge repairs and mainenance in Greenville.

2. Stricter punishment for violators of litter laws.

3. A permanent 24-hour regulation that would require all minors under the age of 18 to be accompanied by at least one responsible adult while in public places. No child in the 21st century should be left alone in public and no parent or guardian should be allowed to shirk such an important responsibility.

In regard to number 3 above: So you don't think a high school senior who lives downtown with his or her parents should be allowed to leave their condo and walk to Publix for some milk without Mommy coming along? Or a Furman freshman (my offspring was 17 when he/she started there) should be allowed to come downtown by themselves to study at Coffee Underground? Or a high school athlete can't go for a training run in Cleveland Park without Daddy along? That is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

My wish is that the property the old post office sits on gets developed.  It seems that when the Greenville News site is built up, the post office location becomes very attractive to a developer.  Does anyone know of any other properties that size that have the potential for something on a large scale?  The empty lot on Broad st. will get The Fountains of Greenville apts and the empty lots on Coffee / Church St. etc will get a courthouse (at some point, hopefully)

Archived