Tampa to get 2009 superbowl (4th time)

serif38

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great news. I hate when they put the Super Bowl in domes! San Diego, Miami, and Tampa are the best Super Bowl sites, IMO. Although, Jacksonville did a good job as well. Phoenix is decent too, and should be a great site with their new stadium. I wish they would just rotate these 5 cities and get rid of Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans and Detroit! And New York (possibly). Like they need a Super Bowl. Keep it open air and on grass!

That's great news.  I hate when they put the Super Bowl in domes!  San Diego, Miami, and Tampa are the best Super Bowl sites, IMO.  Although, Jacksonville did a good job as well.  Phoenix is decent too, and should be a great site with their new stadium.  I wish they would just rotate these 5 cities and get rid of Atlanta, Houston, New Orleans and Detroit!  And New York (possibly).  Like they need a Super Bowl.  Keep it open air and on grass!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't agree more...

Hopefully they will figure out something to help out traffic before then. They do have almost 4 years. Otherwise, it could get UGLY!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, Malfunction Junction should be completed by then as should the double-decker on the Cross-town expressway. My concern would be the stretch from Howard Franklin to Malfunction Junction, it's suppose to be expanded to 10 lanes and to my knowledge construction is suppose to be completed right around the time that the Super Bowl's here. I think.

My concern would be the stretch from Howard Franklin to Malfunction Junction, it's suppose to be expanded to 10 lanes and to my knowledge construction is suppose to be completed right around the time that the Super Bowl's here. I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, it will only be 2 years into a 6 year project span (assuming funding comes through on time). The problem is the fact that I-275 is the only realistic way to get to the stadium, unless everyone decides to take over *every* surface street within a mile of Dale Mabry...

Will commuter rail be operational by then?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a joke, right? Besides the TECO line (which really isn't "commuter" rail to begin with), are there any actual commuter rail projects that go anywhere near the stadium (or anywhere else for that matter) on the books that could be constructed and operational within 3 and a half years?

• 4 weeks later...

I think Tampa's on a roll! In addition to the 2009 Super Bowl, it was just announced that we're getting the 2012 Frozen Four at the Times Forum. It's only the second time that this will be held outside of the Northern, more traditional hockey states.

Add this to the list of events at the Times Forum in the next few years: ACC Men's B'ball tourney, SEC Men's B'ball tourney, NCAA Women's Final Four, NCAA Men's B'ball 1st & 2nd rounds.

And don't forget about the 2006 Nat'l Dragon Boat championships. :thumbsup:

• 5 months later...

Archived