New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

As an alumni of St. James, I'd love to see this property repurposed. There was a proposal a few years ago to develop this property into affordable senior housing. There are some cool old features in the school, terrazzo floors, ornate stage, basement gym. Hopefully this comes to fruition.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

As an alumni of St. James, I'd love to see this property repurposed. There was a proposal a few years ago to develop this property into affordable senior housing. There are some cool old features in the school, terrazzo floors, ornate stage, basement gym. Hopefully this comes to fruition.

It doesn't specify if it's senior housing or not, but some of the units are labeled "visually impaired" so it's most likely the same project you heard about. 

Oh wait, I the answer was next to me all along.  =)  I just said something to my wife about this and she said..."I have the info on that" and sent me this...looks like they're demolishing the building.  Here are the highlights...

American Seating Company is preparing to demolish a series of vacant buildings along Ninth Street near Broadway Avenue. Demolition is expected March through early May. The empty space will be landscaped and eventually used for future new construction and expansion by American Seating.

We’re committed to our presence here on this campus in northwest Grand Rapids, where we’ve been since we started in 1886, and where we’ve grown for 130 years. Just a few years ago, we were proud to be part of the major renovation and revitalization of American Seating Park. Opening up the space to future new construction is part of our investment in our future and in the neighborhood. 

What’s going on with the buildings along Ninth Street near Broadway Avenue?

American Seating is preparing to demolish the old buildings, which, for many years, have stood empty. Over the years, the buildings have become functionally obsolete, inefficient and, in some areas, unsafe. The demolition is part of our long-term plan for investing in our future here on this campus.

What will go in their place?

We’ll landscape the area, which eventually will be used for future new construction and expansion of American Seating.

When is demolition occurring?

Demolition of the buildings that connect with one another running along Ninth Street will occur during the months of March, April and early May. We anticipate that by mid-May, the buildings will be completely demolished, all materials will have been removed, and landscaping of the area will begin. 

19 minutes ago, mgreven said:

Oh wait, I the answer was next to me all along.  =)  I just said something to my wife about this and she said..."I have the info on that" and sent me this...looks like they're demolishing the building.  Here are the highlights...

American Seating Company is preparing to demolish a series of vacant buildings along Ninth Street near Broadway Avenue. Demolition is expected March through early May. The empty space will be landscaped and eventually used for future new construction and expansion by American Seating.

We’re committed to our presence here on this campus in northwest Grand Rapids, where we’ve been since we started in 1886, and where we’ve grown for 130 years. Just a few years ago, we were proud to be part of the major renovation and revitalization of American Seating Park. Opening up the space to future new construction is part of our investment in our future and in the neighborhood. 

What’s going on with the buildings along Ninth Street near Broadway Avenue?

American Seating is preparing to demolish the old buildings, which, for many years, have stood empty. Over the years, the buildings have become functionally obsolete, inefficient and, in some areas, unsafe. The demolition is part of our long-term plan for investing in our future here on this campus.

What will go in their place?

We’ll landscape the area, which eventually will be used for future new construction and expansion of American Seating.

When is demolition occurring?

Demolition of the buildings that connect with one another running along Ninth Street will occur during the months of March, April and early May. We anticipate that by mid-May, the buildings will be completely demolished, all materials will have been removed, and landscaping of the area will begin. 

Ummm, boooo. "We're going to demolish these buildings for an expansion that everyone knows in this global economy will never come." - American Seating

• Like 1

Just now, mgreven said:

Yeah, kinda hoping for a renovation of the building.  I wasn't thrilled that when I finally have a scoop on something it's for a demolition.  =)

Pretty lame. Seriously. 

I never even saw a demolition request go to the planning commission. One old house being demolished on Lake Michigan Drive brings out all kinds of protests, and this wasn't even given a vote at the city? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Pretty lame. Seriously. 

I never even saw a demolition request go to the planning commission. One old house being demolished on Lake Michigan Drive brings out all kinds of protests, and this wasn't even given a vote at the city? 

SWAN would protest the pouring of new sidewalk concrete to replace a broken one.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Ummm, boooo. "We're going to demolish these buildings for an expansion that everyone knows in this global economy will never come." - American Seating

Umm... anyone in the know would tell you that American Seating hasn't been exactly rock steady as a company the last few years.  Lot's of personnel changes, etc.  This initiative is probably the whim of someone who won't even be around next year.

On 3/16/2016 at 6:52 AM, MJLO said:

SWAN would protest the pouring of new sidewalk concrete to replace a broken one.

First of all, it's JBAN; secondly, the JBAN association overwhelmingly doesn't oppose new projects on the Westside. That being said, the loudest voices in our neighborhood (i.e. social media, lame local news media, internet in general, etc ... ) get the most coverage. Third, this is WAY outside of our boundaries, it's WGNO's responsibility. Get your facts straight before you throw shade, albeit funny shade.

Edited by thebeerqueer
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

First of all, it's JBAN; secondly, the JBAN association overwhelmingly doesn't oppose new projects on the Westside. That being said, the loudest voices in our neighborhood (i.e. social media, lame local news media, internet in general, etc ... ) get the most coverage. Third, this is WAY outside of our boundaries, it's WGNO's responsibility. Get your facts straight before you throw shade, albeit funny shade.

Alright you guys. 

In other news, Third Coast Development is moving over to the West Side, Leonard and Alpine. 

25259385324_05992d060c_b.jpg

• Like 1