New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Two things on the West Side...

1) Insignia Homes is building a showroom/workshop on 343 Seward.  We got a notice on it as it's directly behind my wife's building and the renderings are from the planning commission.

2) I believe the old train tower outside of El Sombrero comes down today for restoration.  That's really cool that it's being restored.  A great piece of history.

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 10.50.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 9.36.34 AM.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mgreven said:

1) Insignia Homes is building a showroom/workshop on 343 Seward.  We got a notice on it as it's directly behind my wife's building and the renderings are from the planning commission.

2) I believe the old train tower outside of El Sombrero comes down today for restoration.  That's really cool that it's being restored.  A great piece of history.

Looks like you are correct-http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2016/06/100-year-old_railroad_tower_co.html#incart_river_home

36 minutes ago, mgreven said:

We discussed this at our board meeting last night and besides some noise concerns from the workshop/milwork (very minimal due to published operating hours) we're fully supportive. You're all shocked, I know. Mark the date in history. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

We discussed this at our board meeting last night and besides some noise concerns from the workshop/milwork (very minimal due to published operating hours) we're fully supportive. You're all shocked, I know. Mark the date in history. 

Marked and notarized. :) I like it. It's a nice little building.

Joe

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a request coming up before the Planning Commission later this month to demolish 11 homes on the West Side, on 1st, 2nd and Alabama street/aves. There are no plans to replace them at this time. This is that block that was planned for townhomes many years ago, and sits next to 616/Rockford's Alabama Ave apartment project. 

Seems like there's a large number of homes being demolished near downtown, but are they really that good of housing stock? 

West Side Demolition.jpg

50 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

There's a request coming up before the Planning Commission later this month to demolish 11 homes on the West Side, on 1st, 2nd and Alabama street/aves. There are no plans to replace them at this time. This is that block that was planned for townhomes many years ago, and sits next to 616/Rockford's Alabama Ave apartment project. 

Seems like there's a large number of homes being demolished near downtown, but are they really that good of housing stock? 

West Side Demolition.jpg

These homes have been owned by Rockford for a while and were purchased in varying states of disrepair. Its a safety concern, as these houses are 'broken into' on a weekly basis. They plan on demo-ing, seeding and adding lighting until viable plans emerge. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

These homes have been owned by Rockford for a while and were purchased in varying states of disrepair. Its a safety concern, as these houses are 'broken into' on a weekly basis. They plan on demo-ing, seeding and adding lighting until viable plans emerge. 

I assumed they would do something like that. They're pretty trashed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2016 at 6:39 PM, joeDowntown said:

Meh, anything will look better than the current seedy-looking pawn shop/cell phone store combo. imho

On 7/29/2016 at 6:39 PM, joeDowntown said:

I like to blame Progressive AE, but they have done nice stuff in EGR and elsewhere, so maybe the developers think this sort of crap sells?  Maybe it will, short term, but I'm a little afraid of how quickly this monotonously trendy design aesthetic will devalue.  You can't hardly give away a "high end" and "cutting-edge" house from the 80s or 90s.  There are some very odd design choices being made for buildings that need to provide a multi-decade return.