New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

Looking at the 616 project on Alabama, the West building seems almost done.  One big issue I see is the poor installation of the siding on the south wall.  horizontal lines don't match and the whole wall looks wavy.  Poor choice for such a big windowless wall.  Ill try to get a picture.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2016 at 2:28 PM, GRDadof3 said:

There's a request coming up before the Planning Commission later this month to demolish 11 homes on the West Side, on 1st, 2nd and Alabama street/aves. There are no plans to replace them at this time. This is that block that was planned for townhomes many years ago, and sits next to 616/Rockford's Alabama Ave apartment project. 

Seems like there's a large number of homes being demolished near downtown, but are they really that good of housing stock? 

West Side Demolition.jpg

This location would be perfect for a 12-14 story mixed-use tower. Perfect size land, right behind all of the west side development, and right down the road from GVSU, MSU, and Spectrum Health. Make it happen, Rockford.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

Looking at the 616 project on Alabama, the West building seems almost done.  One big issue I see is the poor installation of the siding on the south wall.  horizontal lines don't match and the whole wall looks wavy.  Poor choice for such a big windowless wall.  Ill try to get a picture.

I've noticed that too. The south wall is so big and windowless, a total eyesore. Hopefully something will be built in front of it in the near future (read: Kale's needs to sell that parking lot).

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

I've noticed that too. The south wall is so big and windowless, a total eyesore. Hopefully something will be built in front of it in the near future (read: Kale's needs to sell that parking lot).

I wonder if the lack of windows on that side is intentional for that very reason. Though bad installation of materials should be fixed (haven't noticed it myself).

How can the city just approve something like this with a blank wall facing a busy intersection??? The building already is going to have a surface parking lot, why make the 1st floor an activity suck on the pedestrian side?!

Just because it's the west side, the people there should be happy with depressing urbanism?

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

How can the city just approve something like this with a blank wall facing a busy intersection??? The building already is going to have a surface parking lot, why make the 1st floor an activity suck on the pedestrian side?!

Just because it's the west side, the people there should be happy with depressing urbanism?

I'm assuming part of that reason would be future building on the parking lot it butts up next to.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

If the recent Third Coast projects (read: Michigan and Union) this will end up more hideous than the barely passable renderings. Also, has anyone ever heard of Leonard St referred to as 'Leo'? :(

Yeah, I thought Michigan and Eastern was ugly.  But then came Michigan and Union.  A couple of dogs there.

• Like 2

I don't understand what happened with these people.  The Park Row condos were a nice looking project. Women's Health looked good, too.  Third Coast did those projects.  Then I had a thought.  Maybe it actually is the architect's fault.  Craig Architects did Women's Health.  Cornerstone Architects did Park Row.  Most of the recent garbage that is downright hideous has been Progressive and Integrated.  Maybe they're having a friendly contest to see who can design the ugliest building and still convince some developer to build it.  shrug.gif

Edited by x99
  • Like 2

It doesn't get uglier than Michigan and Eastern. Honestly...What makes these latest buildings throughout the city so ugly (IMHO at least) is that they're entire block-long narrow rectangles. I can somewhat handle a ridiculously plain look if they maybe broke it up a little bit with maybe a two tower look connected on the bottom floor or a two tower look with a courtyard in the middle. SOMETHING besides a flat wall spanning an entire block with cheap building materials and ugly colors. I get that these developers are just trying to get rooms filled to meet demand as quickly as possible, but eventually you risk losing city appeal with a skyline full of giant duds for housing. 

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, GRLaker said:

It doesn't get uglier than Michigan and Eastern. Honestly...What makes these latest buildings throughout the city so ugly (IMHO at least) is that they're entire block-long narrow rectangles. I can somewhat handle a ridiculously plain look if they maybe broke it up a little bit with maybe a two tower look connected on the bottom floor or a two tower look with a courtyard in the middle. SOMETHING besides a flat wall spanning an entire block with cheap building materials and ugly colors. I get that these developers are just trying to get rooms filled to meet demand as quickly as possible, but eventually you risk losing city appeal with a skyline full of giant duds for housing. 

But Michigan and Union IS uglier, I swear.  Either way I'd say it's not a stellar beginning to the Michigan Street Corridor Plan.

• Like 1

On August 3, 2016 at 8:59 AM, elcelc said:

Yeah, I thought Michigan and Eastern was ugly.  But then came Michigan and Union.  A couple of dogs there.

I sometimes think you guys are being overly harsh on recent projects but I would agree that Michigan and union is awful. 

• Like 1

On August 6, 2016 at 6:02 AM, tSlater said:

This looks excellent.  Some of us, when we complain about buildings lacking that classic charm, we're not asking for a Pantlind on every corner.  The brick section of this building hits that classic charm mark exactly.  And the rest of the building is pretty good too.  More of this please.

Agreed. The whole building is outstanding IMO. It's a great combination of traditional and contemporary.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

The backside/biergarten side of Sovengard. Is it pronounced Soven-guard or Soven-yard?

29523428655_f676de046e_h.jpg

When I was there I heard staff calling it Soven-gard. 

I can't wait to see that big red 'WESTSIDE' sign up in the biergarten.

Edited by thebeerqueer
spelling error

14 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

So wait...Where is the biergarten? I see the backside of 616 Lofts and the backside of some homes.

That's it, under construction. 

Here's the floorplan/site plan for the whole project. The inside is open and looks pretty sweet from the pictures I've seen (haven't checked it out yet).

18012744445_a41cffd545_o.jpg

17826500609_60fce3cbb8_b.jpg

Looks like the LMD/Seward project is back underway again. 

http://www.grbj.com/articles/86097-developer-begins-19m-west-side-apartment-complex

9 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

So wait...Where is the biergarten? I see the backside of 616 Lofts and the backside of some homes.

I think it's still in process. Sovengard is in the bottom back level of the brick building on the left. You can see some concrete work going on, and they are adding a shipping container to part of the biergarten. If you check out their facebook page, looks like the shipping container is nearing completion.

Joe

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

I think it's still in process. Sovengard is in the bottom back level of the brick building on the left. You can see some concrete work going on, and they are adding a shipping container to part of the biergarten. If you check out their facebook page, looks like the shipping container is nearing completion.

Joe

I think it has the potential of being one of the coolest/most unique pubs in Grand Rapids once it's finished. 

• Like 2