New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

16 minutes ago, thebeerqueer said:

I was walking down Bridge St yesterday and noticed some pretty serious demo work going on at the old 'Jesus' Evangelistic Center (https://goo.gl/maps/Vky2WCXrhP82) I can't recall reading/hearing about this project/property, does anyone have some information to share?

From the city website- The Developer plans to convert the 642 Bridge Street building into a studio space and add a mezzanine level to house office space for Sidecar Studios. The 644 Bridge Street building will house both client meeting/collaboration space for Sidecar Studios on the eastern half, with the western half being made available for a retail tenant and renovating the second floor of the 644 Bridge Street building into four micro-apartments.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ctpgr34 said:

From the city website- The Developer plans to convert the 642 Bridge Street building into a studio space and add a mezzanine level to house office space for Sidecar Studios. The 644 Bridge Street building will house both client meeting/collaboration space for Sidecar Studios on the eastern half, with the western half being made available for a retail tenant and renovating the second floor of the 644 Bridge Street building into four micro-apartments.

Thanks ctpgr34 for jogging my memory. I do recall this project and their request for a liquor license for an event space too. The inside of the building is looking interesting. 

• 3 weeks later...

First post: I've been scouring UrbanPlanet for years and I've finally decided to make an account. 

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with the Rower's Club at Fulton Place? It doesn't look like any work is being done. Did they scrap the idea? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, demhem said:

First post: I've been scouring UrbanPlanet for years and I've finally decided to make an account. 

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with the Rower's Club at Fulton Place? It doesn't look like any work is being done. Did they scrap the idea? 

I saw that sign, now that you mention it. What is/was the Rower's Club? 

n/m: http://www.grbj.com/articles/85545-coffee-company-maps-next-urban-café

Welcome demhem!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2016 at 1:32 PM, GRDadof3 said:

I saw that sign, now that you mention it. What is/was the Rower's Club? 

n/m: http://www.grbj.com/articles/85545-coffee-company-maps-next-urban-café

Welcome demhem!

In addition, Spoonlickers (frozen yogurt) just announce they are opening an outlet in this development. 

Edited by Prankster

• 2 weeks later...

With Westside Iron & Metal Moving and Padnos no longer using their lot off of wealthy and straight the is a big piece of land ready for use.

I have heard that GVSU will be putting up a Soccer field in this location, the land required extensive cleanup but may eventually be used for further construction.

34 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

With Westside Iron & Metal Moving and Padnos no longer using their lot off of wealthy and straight the is a big piece of land ready for use.

I have heard that GVSU will be putting up a Soccer field in this location, the land required extensive cleanup but may eventually be used for further construction.

Wait that's no longer being used as a scrap yard?? 

43 minutes ago, droonus2000 said:

Funny, I always thought that would be a good place for a large soccer stadium. Close to DT but not in the core creating a dead zone. This would very likely be an intramural field, no matter it's use greenspace is better for the location than a scrapyard.

Interestingly enough, Grand Rapids FC (pro soccer team that uses Houseman) has a special announcement tomorrow. They've been teasing it for about a week or so. Better serve beer at games. That's all I'm sayin'. ;)

Joe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Interestingly enough, Grand Rapids FC (pro soccer team that uses Houseman) has a special announcement tomorrow. They've been teasing it for about a week or so. Better serve beer at games. That's all I'm sayin'. ;)

Joe

I so wish that the announcement had to do with a stadium site or beer, but it is still a good announcement I promise. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

I so wish that the announcement had to do with a stadium site or beer, but it is still a good announcement I promise. 

I love going to GRFC games so I'm sure I'll be happy about pretty much anything. Heck, a proper scoreboard that showed stoppage time would be exciting to me. 

I don't think beer will ever be an option at Houseman. It's still a great place to watch soccer though. 

Joe

This is an interesting article I saw someone post on FB about pro soccer league expansions, and it mentions Grand Rapids way down in the "Markets of over 1 Million people without a pro soccer team."

https://whatahowler.com/professional-soccer-expansion-in-north-america-45715f7806ec#.57cxmjrzu

28 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

This is an interesting article I saw someone post on FB about pro soccer league expansions, and it mentions Grand Rapids way down in the "Markets of over 1 Million people without a pro soccer team."

https://whatahowler.com/professional-soccer-expansion-in-north-america-45715f7806ec#.57cxmjrzu

Yeah that was written by Peter Wilt, originally GM of Chicago Fire, then helped Indy start their NASL (2nd tier) team. He is currently trying to launch an NASL team in Chicago. He was actually at a GRFC playoff game this summer and has been vocal about the fact he thinks we have a good soccer culture in West Michigan.