New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

9 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

So unbelievably happy this is actually happening! 

I just heard this might not be happening... :huh:  I'm doing some checking...

Edit: may not happen as shown. Apparently some West Side stakeholders are not crazy about the design/surface parking. Would like to see something bigger/mixed use? Vagueries. :)

27 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I just heard this might not be happening... :huh:  I'm doing some checking...

Edit: may not happen as shown. Apparently some West Side stakeholders are not crazy about the design/surface parking. Would like to see something bigger/mixed use? Vagueries. :)

Well I would be happy to see the little surface lot go that they've drawn in for keeps. If they really want to do this neighborhood overhaul right the first time they should really make sure the planning and use of every lot and parcel lives up to its FULL potential. It seemed odd to me that some developments are getting the full mixed use full lot use treatment and this would allow for blank space like a surface lot along Bridge. I hope a more dynamic project can be imagined and executed here!

39 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Well I would be happy to see the little surface lot go that they've drawn in for keeps. If they really want to do this neighborhood overhaul right the first time they should really make sure the planning and use of every lot and parcel lives up to its FULL potential. It seemed odd to me that some developments are getting the full mixed use full lot use treatment and this would allow for blank space like a surface lot along Bridge. I hope a more dynamic project can be imagined and executed here!

It does get to be a bit more complicated if it's mixed use. For example, a user like Jolly Pumpkin probably has no desire to be a residential developer, but someone would have to take on that role and craft the complicated business/development plan to get all of the approvals and financing for that kind of development. And to set up the ownership structure of each individual piece (apartments, retail, etc.). That adds time, a lot of time, which might not fit into JP's expansion plans. Or maybe they don't want to be a ground floor tenant of a big development, or haven't had experience doing that and the regulations required for having a brewing operation below residential units. Not to mention it's a small site and may not even be able to incorporate parking for the brewery or the residents. 

But you're right, complete infill in this neighborhood would be an excellent goal. 

Not to be a debbie downer or devil's advocate but I can see why there may be some trepidation in these plans, from all parties.

And I don't KNOW if that's the deal but it SOUNDS like that's the deal. No one is talking in full sentences, even off the record. :)  

Admittedly I looking at this and sort of see the validity in the current plans, even with the lots.

Right now, it looks like a 10 spot lot. That means a major portion of the existing lot will go at least.

The problem is that the lot is naked and completely visible from the street, with the usual juniper shrub plants ringing it, and doing nothing to soften the view.

What I dont get is why not just build a green wall to shield the view?

gree.jpg

Fancy 3-D rendering!

green 2.jpg

9-vertical-wall-garden.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Admittedly I looking at this and sort of see the validity in the current plans, even with the lots.

Right now, it looks like a 10 spot lot. That means a major portion of the existing lot will go at least.

The problem is that the lot is naked and completely visible from the street, with the usual juniper shrub plants ringing it, and doing nothing to soften the view.

What I dont get is why not just build a green wall to shield the view?

gree.jpg

Fancy 3-D rendering!

green 2.jpg

9-vertical-wall-garden.jpg

Yes, from the Red Lion to the old sign post will be the expansion and front patio.

This drawing in the packet shows how the design team appears to be working with them to meet the (new) streetscape requirements for Bridge Street. The patio looks pretty well screened but not the parking lot.

Jolly Pumpkin Streetscape.JPG

The meeting is next Tuesday I may go to it. 

• Like 1

Some West Side updates:

) Construction fencing is completely removed from the New Holland project. looks great. When do we eat sushi? :)

) Butchers Union looks really cool, black with blue colors.

) They expanded the walkways under 131 and added LED lights. Looks cool. They're doing the same at Leonard. 

That's allz I gots! 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Some West Side updates:

) Construction fencing is completely removed from the New Holland project. looks great. When do we eat sushi? :)

Hopefully soon! I'm really looking forward to their spin on Korean street food. Maru is heavily expanding throughout Michigan; Kzoo, Deteroit, Midland, etc ...

) Butchers Union looks really cool, black with blue colors.

You beat me to it. Some of the inside photos look cool too. 

) They expanded the walkways under 131 and added LED lights. Looks cool. They're doing the same at Leonard. 

It will be cool to see these walkways fully completed and how they hopefully enhance the pedestrian experience.

That's allz I gots! 

Went to the Knickerbocker with friends last night. Hour and a half wait there, at Black Heron and Sovengard. Good times for the West Side. The streets were teaming (teeming?) with people. 

The parking lot under 131 (Scribner) was completely free and had a sign saying so (not sure what time that starts), parking lot wasn't even half full, and the walk under the highway with the wider sidewalks and the LED was pretty cool. I know I can be a curmudgeon at times but overall, go West Side! 

I can't even imagine what it will be like when the Meijer project goes in. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Went to the Knickerbocker with friends last night. Hour and a half wait there, at Black Heron and Sovengard. Good times for the West Side. The streets were teaming (teeming?) with people. 

The parking lot under 131 (Scribner) was completely free and had a sign saying so (not sure what time that starts), parking lot wasn't even half full, and the walk under the highway with the wider sidewalks and the LED was pretty cool. I know I can be a curmudgeon at times but overall, go West Side! 

I can't even imagine what it will be like when the Meijer project goes in. 

Additionally I know of two existing beloved coffee shops in town that are opening Bridge Street locations/announcing soon and one cafe/wine bar concept coming to Bridge adjacent...so we will start to see daytime use pick up dramatically with those amenities. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Additionally I know of two existing beloved coffee shops in town that are opening Bridge Street locations/announcing soon and one cafe/wine bar concept coming to Bridge adjacent...so we will start to see daytime use pick up dramatically with those amenities. 

Do tell. :)

• Like 1

One of the coffee shops is already on the east side and I have to say I was pretty surprised to learned they were adding another location just because of their vibe. The other shop is more central and is looking to add a new service/element to their mix. I can't say anything just say as they're some of our dearest friends and they would kill us but I can tell you final lease drafts are all being written up and wrapped up and I can find out asap if they would let me slip a few more deats. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

One of the coffee shops is already on the east side and I have to say I was pretty surprised to learned they were adding another location just because of their vibe. The other shop is more central and is looking to add a new service/element to their mix. I can't say anything just say as they're some of our dearest friends and they would kill us but I can tell you final lease drafts are all being written up and wrapped up and I can find out asap if they would let me slip a few more deats. 

I would assume one in the old bridal shop and the other in the old 20th century market? I thought I heard talk of a cafe there. Great news - Bridge needs a coffee shop. 

I, too, was down there last night and it was super busy on Bridge!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Mayan Buzz Cafe has been eyeing 1202 Bridge St for a cafe/wine/coffee shop concept. Came across our NA radar a while ago. Haven't heard much since. I wonder what the other shop is??

Mayan Buzz couldn't afford the dual locations. .  Isn't 1202 Bridge now planning on a Bourbon bar or something similar?

1 hour ago, elcelc said:

Mayan Buzz couldn't afford the dual locations. .  Isn't 1202 Bridge now planning on a Bourbon bar or something similar?

Good to know about Mayan Buzz. 

The bourbon bar is supposed to be going in the old Louie's/Rocket Lounge space. I can't remember the name though. 

Got a sneak peak at Butcher's Union last night. You all are in for a treat. Very good food, excellent cocktails, and very approachable price points. Not to mention the build-out was incredible, completely unrecognizable as Monte's. Cocktails were mostly $8-$10, Sandwiches $8-$10, Entrees $14-$18, and a Tacos a la carte $3.50 each.

• Like 1