GRDadof3

New projects on the West Side

494 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I don't think it's the right place anymore for a manufacturing building like this.

The structure itself creates a horrible dead zone along the street, not to mention the parking lot and retail store front that mostly only faces that lot.

I'm strange, but when I see it, I think why on Earth would I want to go to a coffee shop, next to downtown, to drink coffee in a place that looks more suited to be next to 29th street, with a view of acres of used cars?

 

Especially with all of the development taking place around it, my fear is that it WONT get torn down and rebuilt, or at least severely modified so Winter isn't fronted with that hideous blank wall on one side and the YMCA's parking lot on the other.

That coffee shop is one of the busiest downtown. I agree it seems like it's a weird place for a coffee shop, but it's apparently convenient for a lot of people (I assume mostly GVSU students). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


15 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

That coffee shop is one of the busiest downtown. I agree it seems like it's a weird place for a coffee shop, but it's apparently convenient for a lot of people (I assume mostly GVSU students). 

There are many "tech" companies on the west side that use that shop as a meeting spot, alternative work environment, business coffee spot. I used to use it when I was working on the west side, north of Bridge.  Its easier to meet there than downtown shops, free parking, easy on and off the highway, if needed.  It also had more space, better seating, and more privacy than many other shops. But now that Ferris has their coffee shop  at 40 Pearl, in the Trust building, they have Start Garden above them and probably pull a similar spread of customers.  Maybe the Pearl location is taking over the retail arm of the Winter location.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bummer but not a surprise.  American Seating has been sort of aimlessly floundering for the last few years or so trying to figure out what it wants to be.  I hope this new focus helps them reinvigorate the business.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If someone more savvy than myself can get in there and crop it out, the renderings of the Jolly Pumpkin are in this week's Design Team agenda for the Engineering Department. Personally I feel like it leaves a lot to be desired - especially given that it includes a parking lot and far less of a mixed-use component than I expected it might have had. Oh well - it'll bring even more vitality to that street so that is certainly exciting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Avocado said:

Lots more images in the PDF.

Jolly1.PNG

Jolly2.PNG

So unbelievably happy this is actually happening! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

So unbelievably happy this is actually happening! 

I just heard this might not be happening... :huh:  I'm doing some checking...

Edit: may not happen as shown. Apparently some West Side stakeholders are not crazy about the design/surface parking. Would like to see something bigger/mixed use? Vagueries. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I just heard this might not be happening... :huh:  I'm doing some checking...

Edit: may not happen as shown. Apparently some West Side stakeholders are not crazy about the design/surface parking. Would like to see something bigger/mixed use? Vagueries. :)

 

Well I would be happy to see the little surface lot go that they've drawn in for keeps. If they really want to do this neighborhood overhaul right the first time they should really make sure the planning and use of every lot and parcel lives up to its FULL potential. It seemed odd to me that some developments are getting the full mixed use full lot use treatment and this would allow for blank space like a surface lot along Bridge. I hope a more dynamic project can be imagined and executed here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

Well I would be happy to see the little surface lot go that they've drawn in for keeps. If they really want to do this neighborhood overhaul right the first time they should really make sure the planning and use of every lot and parcel lives up to its FULL potential. It seemed odd to me that some developments are getting the full mixed use full lot use treatment and this would allow for blank space like a surface lot along Bridge. I hope a more dynamic project can be imagined and executed here!

It does get to be a bit more complicated if it's mixed use. For example, a user like Jolly Pumpkin probably has no desire to be a residential developer, but someone would have to take on that role and craft the complicated business/development plan to get all of the approvals and financing for that kind of development. And to set up the ownership structure of each individual piece (apartments, retail, etc.). That adds time, a lot of time, which might not fit into JP's expansion plans. Or maybe they don't want to be a ground floor tenant of a big development, or haven't had experience doing that and the regulations required for having a brewing operation below residential units. Not to mention it's a small site and may not even be able to incorporate parking for the brewery or the residents. 

But you're right, complete infill in this neighborhood would be an excellent goal. 

Not to be a debbie downer or devil's advocate but I can see why there may be some trepidation in these plans, from all parties.

And I don't KNOW if that's the deal but it SOUNDS like that's the deal. No one is talking in full sentences, even off the record. :)  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admittedly I looking at this and sort of see the validity in the current plans, even with the lots.

Right now, it looks like a 10 spot lot. That means a major portion of the existing lot will go at least.

.

The problem is that the lot is naked and completely visible from the street, with the usual juniper shrub plants ringing it, and doing nothing to soften the view.

What I dont get is why not just build a green wall to shield the view?

gree.jpg

Fancy 3-D rendering!

green 2.jpg
 

9-vertical-wall-garden.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, GR_Urbanist said:

Admittedly I looking at this and sort of see the validity in the current plans, even with the lots.

Right now, it looks like a 10 spot lot. That means a major portion of the existing lot will go at least.

.

The problem is that the lot is naked and completely visible from the street, with the usual juniper shrub plants ringing it, and doing nothing to soften the view.

What I dont get is why not just build a green wall to shield the view?

gree.jpg

Fancy 3-D rendering!

green 2.jpg
 

9-vertical-wall-garden.jpg

Yes, from the Red Lion to the old sign post will be the expansion and front patio.

This drawing in the packet shows how the design team appears to be working with them to meet the (new) streetscape requirements for Bridge Street. The patio looks pretty well screened but not the parking lot.

 

Jolly Pumpkin Streetscape.JPG

The meeting is next Tuesday I may go to it. 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GVSU/Allendale convenience store, HIP, is opening a store in the Fulton Place development. Focus is small scale grocery, beer and wine. Looking to open in April. Also, Rower's Cafe, should be be completed in the spring. Apartment occupancy is at 80%.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Some West Side updates:

) Construction fencing is completely removed from the New Holland project. looks great. When do we eat sushi? :)

) Butchers Union looks really cool, black with blue colors.

) They expanded the walkways under 131 and added LED lights. Looks cool. They're doing the same at Leonard. 

That's allz I gots! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Some West Side updates:

) Construction fencing is completely removed from the New Holland project. looks great. When do we eat sushi? :)

Hopefully soon! I'm really looking forward to their spin on Korean street food. Maru is heavily expanding throughout Michigan; Kzoo, Deteroit, Midland, etc ...

) Butchers Union looks really cool, black with blue colors.

You beat me to it. Some of the inside photos look cool too. 

) They expanded the walkways under 131 and added LED lights. Looks cool. They're doing the same at Leonard. 

It will be cool to see these walkways fully completed and how they hopefully enhance the pedestrian experience.

That's allz I gots! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the Knickerbocker with friends last night. Hour and a half wait there, at Black Heron and Sovengard. Good times for the West Side. The streets were teaming (teeming?) with people. 

The parking lot under 131 (Scribner) was completely free and had a sign saying so (not sure what time that starts), parking lot wasn't even half full, and the walk under the highway with the wider sidewalks and the LED was pretty cool. I know I can be a curmudgeon at times but overall, go West Side! 

I can't even imagine what it will be like when the Meijer project goes in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Went to the Knickerbocker with friends last night. Hour and a half wait there, at Black Heron and Sovengard. Good times for the West Side. The streets were teaming (teeming?) with people. 

The parking lot under 131 (Scribner) was completely free and had a sign saying so (not sure what time that starts), parking lot wasn't even half full, and the walk under the highway with the wider sidewalks and the LED was pretty cool. I know I can be a curmudgeon at times but overall, go West Side! 

I can't even imagine what it will be like when the Meijer project goes in. 

Additionally I know of two existing beloved coffee shops in town that are opening Bridge Street locations/announcing soon and one cafe/wine bar concept coming to Bridge adjacent...so we will start to see daytime use pick up dramatically with those amenities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.