New projects on the West Side

GRDadof3

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Speculation and rumors are our lifeblood here! Just kidding.

That same representative from a large local developer with a geological reference in their name, mentioned they're finding some interesting and unexpected foundations as they excavate the site.

I think there's a bit of BS'ing going on with both sides of this deal, if it truly is JP. I tend to think it is them, because the plan was drawn right about the same time that the LLC that now owns 449 Bridge was set up, last Fall. 

6 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

That same representative from a large local developer with a geological reference in their name, mentioned they're finding some interesting and unexpected foundations as they excavate the site.

I'd love to here about more about the foundations. I love that kind of thing. 

Joe

1 hour ago, arcturus said:

Butcher's Union was mobbed last evening.  Anyone been there yet?

I was there the week they opened and walked right in. Good food, good drinks/beer, odd service but I'm sure that's improved. The warm weather has kept their patio packed. I think if you go during the week, it's a different experience. 

17 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

About 4 times now. Food and cocktails are excellent, bar staff is very friendly.

Food is great, drinks were great, bar staff is great. This was happy hour where we just walked right in. I really like the feel of it inside, one of my favorites for atmosphere of the new places in GR. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 1:51 PM, thebeerqueer said:

The city development department has a cool new interactive mapping tool to check out building permits. It doesn't show anything for that property. 

https://grandrapids.buildingeye.com/building

I took a snapshot of the construction company, out of Lansing.

5922db0ce1d0e_Jollypumpkinfence.thumb.jpg.8865d5984eca05e78d7befd06f97b517.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Sparrows is opening a new coffee shop on Bridge Street. Can't recall if this was posted anywhere yet? 

http://dailycoffeenews.com/2017/05/25/sparrows-coffee-tea-newsstand-turns-a-page-with-new-roastery-cafe/

On 4/3/2017 at 0:35 PM, EastownLeo said:

The news of them opening a second location was, don't know if they had mentioned the whole roastery part of it.

Edited by Pattmost20
  • Like 2

SW and not sure where to put this but.  Tanglefoot is back up for sale.

One of the last cheap, artist, hobby and small business locations available near the city center.

I hope this stays focused on lower rent, diverse use and not turned into apartments.

http://mls.carwm.com/listing/30055724/314-Straight-Ave-SW-Grand-Rapids-MI-49504

54 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

SW and not sure where to put this but.  Tanglefoot is back up for sale.

One of the last cheap, artist, hobby and small business locations available near the city center.

I hope this stays focused on lower rent, diverse use and not turned into apartments.

http://mls.carwm.com/listing/30055724/314-Straight-Ave-SW-Grand-Rapids-MI-49504

Bought for $200,000 a year ago, now up for $1.2 Million. Holding out for Rockford maybe? Or just trying to cash in on the west side redevelopment train.

1 hour ago, Pattmost20 said:

Bought for $200,000 a year ago, now up for $1.2 Million. Holding out for Rockford maybe? Or just trying to cash in on the west side redevelopment train.

I think that the 200,000 deal was a family transaction.  The 1.2 is not bad, but compared to an almost ready to go building like 470 market going for 7mil.

The amount of work tanglefoot needs is a lot of money, but that is what keeps the rents low for those who use it.  It is exactly what they want and need.  And renters end up putting more of their own money into the spaces to make them what they want.  I hope it holds on.

8 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

I think that the 200,000 deal was a family transaction.  The 1.2 is not bad, but compared to an almost ready to go building like 470 market going for 7mil.

The amount of work tanglefoot needs is a lot of money, but that is what keeps the rents low for those who use it.  It is exactly what they want and need.  And renters end up putting more of their own money into the spaces to make them what they want.  I hope it holds on.

It is a cool building. I could see someone wanting to convert it to another use. 

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

A couple days ago I noticed a sign at Black Heron saying they were closed until further notice and then today I see they're closed for good. 

Confirmed in the GRBJ just now, too. Bummer. Hate to see a place fail, but I didn't love it. I hope someone buys the building soon and does something with it. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

I have my own opinions but I'm interested in hearing why other think this place failed?  While BU does well down the street?

Even before BU opened they never were busy when i'd walk by.   I hadn't heard anyone say anything glowing about the restaurant.  My guess is that it wasn't run to the standard of the echelon they were trying to be, combined with having a menu that didn't catch on.  They didn't find their niche.  BU opening was probably the nail in the coffin for them. 

1 hour ago, EastownLeo said:

I have my own opinions but I'm interested in hearing why other think this place failed?  While BU does well down the street?

Price point was a tad bit on the high side, which was even more evident after Butcher's Union opened. Also I feel like they didn't have a strong identity. Before they opened I talked to the owner and he mentioned a bunch of great restaurants in Chicago that he was using as influences, but those influences didn't really come through for me. I was rooting for them, and they had a few entrees I liked, but I didn't rush back there after trying it a couple times. Hopefully someone will take over that spot, I can't imagine it taking long with the way the crowds have been on Bridge Street.

On 6/14/2017 at 4:00 PM, EastownLeo said:

The owners were under financed and completely inexperienced at running a restaurant.  They would have had to be very lucky to make it work and they weren’t. 

Edited by walker

19 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

I'm a bit conflicted over this place closing. They were one of the first restaurants to open up on Bridge St in many, many years and their initial ideas I could fully get behind.My first few experiences were great; drinks/beers, food and service were all on point. About a year ago I feel like the place took a bit of a nose dive; food was hit or miss, service was all over the board but drinks/beers were still good and it's hella close for me. Staff was constantly milling about after being cut, in uniform, talking to other employees making it confusing who was working, rolling silverware in the bar area while customers were there and a general unconcerned nature led to the service woes. A former employee that I know mentioned a couple months ago that they were close to closing. The weekend the car crashed into the BH, I was driving down Bridge St on Friday night and every place looked packed and BH had a sandwich sign outside advertising 'Immediate seating', not a good sign. One thing that stuck in my craw was they would have 'Neighbor Night' to only residents in Riverhouse, Union Square and the 616 project; after addressing this via social media they had zero response and continued to offer their 'Neighbor Night'.  I enjoyed the space and proximity to my home, I'm not all that sad to see them go. I'm sure the space won't sit idle for long. As for BU's success, they're the newest darling on the street and offer everything that BH didn't. 

2 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

I'm a bit conflicted over this place closing. They were one of the first restaurants to open up on Bridge St in many, many years and their initial ideas I could fully get behind.My first few experiences were great; drinks/beers, food and service were all on point. About a year ago I feel like the place took a bit of a nose dive; food was hit or miss, service was all over the board but drinks/beers were still good and it's hella close for me. Staff was constantly milling about after being cut, in uniform, talking to other employees making it confusing who was working, rolling silverware in the bar area while customers were there and a general unconcerned nature led to the service woes. A former employee that I know mentioned a couple months ago that they were close to closing. The weekend the car crashed into the BH, I was driving down Bridge St on Friday night and every place looked packed and BH had a sandwich sign outside advertising 'Immediate seating', not a good sign. One thing that stuck in my craw was they would have 'Neighbor Night' to only residents in Riverhouse, Union Square and the 616 project; after addressing this via social media they had zero response and continued to offer their 'Neighbor Night'.  I enjoyed the space and proximity to my home, I'm not all that sad to see them go. I'm sure the space won't sit idle for long. As for BU's success, they're the newest darling on the street and offer everything that BH didn't. 

People thought the "neighbor night" was a bad thing? Or would they only allow those people in on those nights? (which is a bad idea I think)